“Review of Hotel and Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at The Black Olive

You added Inn at The Black Olive to your Saves list
Inn at The Black Olive
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   803 South Caroline St, Fells Point, Baltimore, MD 21231   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Drink
Ranked #4 of 61 Hotels in Baltimore
Hollywood, Florida
“Review of Hotel and Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed one night at the hotel and also had dinner at the restaurant. Let me start by writing that from the moment I called to make a reservation, to then make changes to it before my stay, to the one night stay and to the time at the restaurant, we experienced a class act operation. The hotel room was impecable, very spacious, comfortable and tranquil. The food at the restaurant was AMAZING! I had the Bronzini fish and my boyfriend had the Dorade Royale. While we were there we were treated like VIPs. The owners introduced themselves to us and even had some very pleasant conversation. I most definetly recommend both the hotel and restaurant. We are looking forward to our next visit in June!
Ileana

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Roseville, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I'd give a higher rating than excellent if I could. My stay at the Inn at the Black Olive is, hands down, my life-time favorite hotel and restaurant experience. With the little bit I'd read before I arrived, I was determined to see what the promise of "unique experience" really looked like. Walking into the foyer, I was greeted by a friendly host who welcomed me to Baltimore, asked about my stay, shared his knowledge of the local area and asked if I was thirsty or needed anything for my stay. (What??? I grew up in the South and this is how people treat each other in our homes!). Next, this same nice man, Joe, helped me upstairs with my bags and took his time showing me around my room. And this is a necessity for two reasons...1. the "room" is a suite - and mine was huge. I could easily live in a space this large and have room to spare. and 2. (and this is the best part) The "uniqueness of this experience began with its construction. It is a genuine work of art from the ground up. Joe explained to me the details of the room, showing me the walls of crushed limestone and the bathroom walls that were polished with a natural olive oil rub to protect them from the moisture...the amazing walk-in shower with geo-thermal heated water and a rainfall shower head. It was all I could do to pay attention because I was getting lost in the enormity of the room and staring at a tub, the likes of which I'd never seen and wondering what I was about to learn about it. Before he got to that, I got to feel the organic, luxurious (wasn't sure you could put those two words together- but here you can ) towels and comfy robes there just for me (What? Am I a princess?) and then I learned about the magic of the sanijet tub. You gotta look it up yourself. Incredible. I could go on and on... the most comfortable bed EVER (the Westin Heavenly takes a backseat) and to top it off a complimentary bottle of wine. When Joe left, I stood there for a minute, listening to the fresh clean air coming through the vents into this room that might as well have been on another planet because it was the first of its kind I'd seen and I'm a frequent traveler. It took me a few minutes to adjust. Three words I'd use to describe my stay: Hospitable, Educational, Transformational. The entire staff is masterful at creating an experience of top-rate customer service. Not only would I stay here again, I would recommend this for people looking to travel to Baltimore specifically and even for people who live in Baltimore looking for a quick in-town get-a-away. The whole experience was dreamy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here twice. Our most recent stay was two weeks ago. We go there when we want a one night getaway that's close by. We were initially drawn to this hotel because of it's location. It's not terribly out of the way from where we live and it is in Fell's Point which is our favorite part of Baltimore City. When we checked in the staff were the friendliest and most attentive we have ever experienced in a hotel, they really make you feel welcomed and important. When we saw our room for the first time it was far more than we expected. The suite was large and looked amazing. There was a rustic yet also modern elegance about it. The walls were beautiful and hanging on them was beautiful artwork that you can buy if you would like. The main room had the sofa, TV, table and sink/microwave area and the fridge, which contained a lovely bottle of COMPLEMENTARY wine. The next room was the bedroom which had THE MOST COMFORTABLE BED I HAVE EVER SLEPT ON! I would seriously check into that hotel just to take a nap on that bed. The bathroom had a large, Jacuzzi tub and there were bath salts and bubble bath to use and plenty of towels, you only get one bath robe though but I'm sure you could ask for another. The bathroom also had a large glassed in shower and even a black face towel labeled makeup. The hotel also offered complementary breakfast, delivered to your room at the time you choose. When you check in and they show you to your room they give you a menu and you choose what you would like and then you select a time for it to arrive in your room. The hotel also provides room service from The Black Olive restaurant which is directly around the corner. We have never gotten room service from there but we have eaten there and the food is amazing. This hotel, aside from being luxurious is also very environmentally friendly. Everything is made from raw, organic materials from the limestone walls, to the bed, mattress, pillows and bedding. The lights are energy efficient and turn off when you go from room to room and the owners take part in fair trade which is where most of, if not all of what you enjoy in the hotel comes from. The last time we stayed we met one of the owners who was kind enough to introduce himself, bring us our valet parked car and even gave us a brochure when we asked about where the fabulous beds came from. This is by far our absolute favorite hotel and we look forward to many more stays there.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

First of all let me start off by saying GOD(Allah, Yahweh, The Lord, King of Kings, thee one and only Source, The Master of the Universe! Whatever you want to call the creator. I feel like my God personally favor me when he revealed to me that there is a place not far from you located right on south Carolina St. located in Baltimore Md. in Fells Point that you can go relax and feel comfortable about everything that Awesome Hospitality has to offer! From making reservations on the phone, to great food, to Terrific customer service, and exquisite food! You probably can read this and feel the exciting energy that's coming out of my mouth as I type the words describing this piece of Heaven on earth! My husband and I decided to find out what the Black Olive was like after hearing about it from some people we met at the water taxi spot. So as the couple was talking about it, I pulled out my iPhone and went to the Black Olive Inn website to find out what was so different about this particular hotel because believe you me my husband and I have stayed in what we thought was some of the finer hotels or Inns all over the place. So just to let you guys know I'm experiencing a challenge that land me in a wheelchair temporarily but I'm still on the go! Now mind you I am a resident of Baltimore near the Inner Harbor but the condo I live in does not have a patio or a jacuzzi tub so during my healing time my doctor suggested that I get out and get some sun everyday, try to take a salt bath everyday or almost everyday, and water my spiritual garden (pray at least 5 times a day) she also suggested an organic diet which I was already doing. So as I was comprehending all of this good stuff about the history of this family based business called the black olive I noticed the sun was shining a lit'l brighter on us and a big smile came upon my face :-) I was so anxious to see this place that I saw on the Internet that had everything I prayed for but was a lit'l discouraged on the other hand cause I know that when businesses advertise they tend to stretch the truth so since I thought in my mind this could be a gift from God my husband and I went about 5 blocks up from one of the taxi spot to find the Black Olive and first of all they were wheel chair accessible so I felt real good about that and then we entered in on the 1st floor. We get to the front desk and a young lady with a beautiful smile greets us and introduce herself as Beonka so I asked about thee jacuzzi tubs, patios, rates, and other questions that I needed to verify. This young lady suggested that we see for ourselves she then took us to one of the rooms and I started to tear up! It was all true what they had on the website about the limestone walls, olive oil coatings in the bathroom, Persian rugs, pipe less aqua therapy jacuzzi tubs, coolant/heating system ! The organic mattress,robes, sheets, washcloths, towers, spacious hallways, clear fresh drinking water! The whole environment is organic, not to mention the whole entire building! My husband and I felt very blessed to have found this spot! We then made a reservation over the phone to do a Sunday night to try the Jacuzzi tub out. We spoke to a young man named Chris who is a manager there and he informed me that I should try Expedia for another rate that will probably be less. I then went on the Expedia website and it was the regular rate so I then called the Black Olive back and spoke to Chris again and told him what happen and he apologized wholeheartedly and suggested that he will honor the rate that Expedia would have recommended! I and my husband was very grateful! So we get there Sunday afternoon and arrive 2 hours early so we can hit the organic market. We had been notified by AJ(front desk), that the market was closed so my husband and I figured we'll just go in the morning, however we were still looking to see what they had and there was what we thought was a kid in the market asking us would we like to come in and take a look, of course we said yes! This young man then introduced himself as the owner! Hahaha, I'm laughing because it was so hard to believe he was in his 40's! Anyway, we decided to go up to the rooftop for Sunday brunch and we were immediately helped by a nice young man who escorted us to a table inside with an amazing view of the Inner Harbor! We also met a nice young man by the name of Justin! We felt like we were in a different world at this point! Real talk y'all! I forgot to mention before we went to have brunch, AJ (front desk) secured our bags until we after we ate and carried the bags to our room for us! (Awesome Customer Service) We then looked around and a complimentary bottle of organic wine was chilling in the fridge along with a real bottle ( not plastic bottle)water. The best tasting water I've had since my mom use to boil my water when I was a kid. I was then very excited to try the aqua therapy jacuzzi tub, so my husband assisted me in the tub and was able to get in with me because the tub is built for two! It felt amazing while in there and it was still feeling good afterwards! We then put our robes on that they provide for you and I did not want to take it off! We then tried laying in the organic bed. It felt like I was literally laying on a cloud! I literally didn't get up until sunrise which you can see from the patio in the bedroom. Just to let you guys know I had nothing but peace and sweet dreams that when my husband and I got up we had to stay another night! To be honest we felt like we were in another world! We were so happy to have been blessed to have had thee black Olive experience! If you guys want it all and know that you deserve thee Black Olive experience then go ahead and treat yourself to a piece of Heaven on earth! Thank You

• Stayed April 2013
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Pros:
Suite has very large rooms and jaccuzi type tub in bathroom.
Good Wifi
Cons
Location not ideal,free parking a bit problematic but there is a parking facility next door.
Motion activated lights in room is a nuisance.
Pervasive food odorresumably from top floor restaurant.
Expensive for what it is
Floor in room looks dirty although many carpets try to mask it.
Stains on walls,the place needs freshening up

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Let's start this review with a solid 5 star rating.

As a seasoned business traveler, I have grown accustomed to your standard upscale Hilton properties and the various amenities they offer. So if that's what you are looking for, this will be a shock to your system. This is nothing like the Hilton.

The rooms are very large. The floors are stained cement. The walls are made from various materials and painted in complementary colors. There is a very BIG environmental GREEN statement being made in the room. Organic everything. Motion sensors to turn off lights. Only one TV in the sitting room (personally I would add a TV in the bedroom).

Paintings by local artists are used to decorate .... And those paintings are available for sale. High end Egyptian rugs are placed throughout the rooms. The shower was big enough for five ... So bring friends. Everything is very nice, just different.

The hotel's staff was first class. From the minute I spoke with Joseph, making my reservation, I was dealing with a caring person. The guys at the front desk were great. The hotels manager, the son of he owner, was very accommodating when it to my request for a late checkout. I can't say enough good things about the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dimitris S, Owner at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear pilotsfeelfree1,
I wanted to take the time to express how particularly honored we are to have received a coveted 5 star review from you. You are obviously very well traveled and have given many thoughtful reviews to businesses. It looks like your opinion is trusted by many. We are a small family hotel that has decided to put all of its effort into customer service and to build a facility that does our best to nurture our guests. Your review is better than any advertising. It is real. together with tripadvisor, we have taken the advertising dollars that we need to spend and given directly to you. We appreciate the time and effort it took to make such a detailed review.
If we can assist you with anything in the future please don’t hesitate to contact us at concierge@theblackolive.com. Our customer service dedicated team is at your service 24 hours. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Yours in Service,
Dimitris Spiliadis
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have never experienced the level of customer serivice as I did at your hotel with the concierge at the front desk, Joseph. My boyfriend and I were there celebrating his birthday and Joseph went above and beyond to make sure we had a very special night and everything went perfectly! I truly don't think the night would have went as well as it did had it not been for Joseph and I really appreciate all that he did for us. We will definitely be returning to the hotel, restaraunt, and/or bar all due to the service we received when we were there on 04/15/2013.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dimitris S, Owner at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Sherry J,
I wanted to take a minute to thank you for your feedback about one of our wonderful people that make the Inn at the Black Olive so special. Our hotel team takes great personal pride in the experience that they are able to convey. It is one that is not only genuine, but one that has as a goal to create a sense of delight. Because we will do anything for our guests to be happy, we feel very good when we get feedback like yours. We are here to serve you, not as servants, but as artists of service. We have a lot of fun. We work as a team and strive to keep as much of a human element so that we can make your stay feel genuine. We are not a big box. Our team members, like Joe, bring a lot of personality and charm to the table.
Yours in Service,
Dimitris Spiliadis

Been to Inn at The Black Olive? Share your experiences!