“This is truly a piece of Heaven on Earth!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at The Black Olive

Save Saved
You added Inn at The Black Olive to your Saves list
Inn at The Black Olive
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   803 South Caroline St, Fells Point, Baltimore, MD 21231   |
Special Offer
Wedding Blocks/ JHU disc
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Baltimore
“This is truly a piece of Heaven on Earth!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

First of all let me start off by saying GOD(Allah, Yahweh, The Lord, King of Kings, thee one and only Source, The Master of the Universe! Whatever you want to call the creator. I feel like my God personally favor me when he revealed to me that there is a place not far from you located right on south Carolina St. located in Baltimore Md. in Fells Point that you can go relax and feel comfortable about everything that Awesome Hospitality has to offer! From making reservations on the phone, to great food, to Terrific customer service, and exquisite food! You probably can read this and feel the exciting energy that's coming out of my mouth as I type the words describing this piece of Heaven on earth! My husband and I decided to find out what the Black Olive was like after hearing about it from some people we met at the water taxi spot. So as the couple was talking about it, I pulled out my iPhone and went to the Black Olive Inn website to find out what was so different about this particular hotel because believe you me my husband and I have stayed in what we thought was some of the finer hotels or Inns all over the place. So just to let you guys know I'm experiencing a challenge that land me in a wheelchair temporarily but I'm still on the go! Now mind you I am a resident of Baltimore near the Inner Harbor but the condo I live in does not have a patio or a jacuzzi tub so during my healing time my doctor suggested that I get out and get some sun everyday, try to take a salt bath everyday or almost everyday, and water my spiritual garden (pray at least 5 times a day) she also suggested an organic diet which I was already doing. So as I was comprehending all of this good stuff about the history of this family based business called the black olive I noticed the sun was shining a lit'l brighter on us and a big smile came upon my face :-) I was so anxious to see this place that I saw on the Internet that had everything I prayed for but was a lit'l discouraged on the other hand cause I know that when businesses advertise they tend to stretch the truth so since I thought in my mind this could be a gift from God my husband and I went about 5 blocks up from one of the taxi spot to find the Black Olive and first of all they were wheel chair accessible so I felt real good about that and then we entered in on the 1st floor. We get to the front desk and a young lady with a beautiful smile greets us and introduce herself as Beonka so I asked about thee jacuzzi tubs, patios, rates, and other questions that I needed to verify. This young lady suggested that we see for ourselves she then took us to one of the rooms and I started to tear up! It was all true what they had on the website about the limestone walls, olive oil coatings in the bathroom, Persian rugs, pipe less aqua therapy jacuzzi tubs, coolant/heating system ! The organic mattress,robes, sheets, washcloths, towers, spacious hallways, clear fresh drinking water! The whole environment is organic, not to mention the whole entire building! My husband and I felt very blessed to have found this spot! We then made a reservation over the phone to do a Sunday night to try the Jacuzzi tub out. We spoke to a young man named Chris who is a manager there and he informed me that I should try Expedia for another rate that will probably be less. I then went on the Expedia website and it was the regular rate so I then called the Black Olive back and spoke to Chris again and told him what happen and he apologized wholeheartedly and suggested that he will honor the rate that Expedia would have recommended! I and my husband was very grateful! So we get there Sunday afternoon and arrive 2 hours early so we can hit the organic market. We had been notified by AJ(front desk), that the market was closed so my husband and I figured we'll just go in the morning, however we were still looking to see what they had and there was what we thought was a kid in the market asking us would we like to come in and take a look, of course we said yes! This young man then introduced himself as the owner! Hahaha, I'm laughing because it was so hard to believe he was in his 40's! Anyway, we decided to go up to the rooftop for Sunday brunch and we were immediately helped by a nice young man who escorted us to a table inside with an amazing view of the Inner Harbor! We also met a nice young man by the name of Justin! We felt like we were in a different world at this point! Real talk y'all! I forgot to mention before we went to have brunch, AJ (front desk) secured our bags until we after we ate and carried the bags to our room for us! (Awesome Customer Service) We then looked around and a complimentary bottle of organic wine was chilling in the fridge along with a real bottle ( not plastic bottle)water. The best tasting water I've had since my mom use to boil my water when I was a kid. I was then very excited to try the aqua therapy jacuzzi tub, so my husband assisted me in the tub and was able to get in with me because the tub is built for two! It felt amazing while in there and it was still feeling good afterwards! We then put our robes on that they provide for you and I did not want to take it off! We then tried laying in the organic bed. It felt like I was literally laying on a cloud! I literally didn't get up until sunrise which you can see from the patio in the bedroom. Just to let you guys know I had nothing but peace and sweet dreams that when my husband and I got up we had to stay another night! To be honest we felt like we were in another world! We were so happy to have been blessed to have had thee black Olive experience! If you guys want it all and know that you deserve thee Black Olive experience then go ahead and treat yourself to a piece of Heaven on earth! Thank You

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Pros:
Suite has very large rooms and jaccuzi type tub in bathroom.
Good Wifi
Cons
Location not ideal,free parking a bit problematic but there is a parking facility next door.
Motion activated lights in room is a nuisance.
Pervasive food odorresumably from top floor restaurant.
Expensive for what it is
Floor in room looks dirty although many carpets try to mask it.
Stains on walls,the place needs freshening up

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Let's start this review with a solid 5 star rating.

As a seasoned business traveler, I have grown accustomed to your standard upscale Hilton properties and the various amenities they offer. So if that's what you are looking for, this will be a shock to your system. This is nothing like the Hilton.

The rooms are very large. The floors are stained cement. The walls are made from various materials and painted in complementary colors. There is a very BIG environmental GREEN statement being made in the room. Organic everything. Motion sensors to turn off lights. Only one TV in the sitting room (personally I would add a TV in the bedroom).

Paintings by local artists are used to decorate .... And those paintings are available for sale. High end Egyptian rugs are placed throughout the rooms. The shower was big enough for five ... So bring friends. Everything is very nice, just different.

The hotel's staff was first class. From the minute I spoke with Joseph, making my reservation, I was dealing with a caring person. The guys at the front desk were great. The hotels manager, the son of he owner, was very accommodating when it to my request for a late checkout. I can't say enough good things about the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dimitris S, Owner at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear pilotsfeelfree1,
I wanted to take the time to express how particularly honored we are to have received a coveted 5 star review from you. You are obviously very well traveled and have given many thoughtful reviews to businesses. It looks like your opinion is trusted by many. We are a small family hotel that has decided to put all of its effort into customer service and to build a facility that does our best to nurture our guests. Your review is better than any advertising. It is real. together with tripadvisor, we have taken the advertising dollars that we need to spend and given directly to you. We appreciate the time and effort it took to make such a detailed review.
If we can assist you with anything in the future please don’t hesitate to contact us at concierge@theblackolive.com. Our customer service dedicated team is at your service 24 hours. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have never experienced the level of customer serivice as I did at your hotel with the concierge at the front desk, Joseph. My boyfriend and I were there celebrating his birthday and Joseph went above and beyond to make sure we had a very special night and everything went perfectly! I truly don't think the night would have went as well as it did had it not been for Joseph and I really appreciate all that he did for us. We will definitely be returning to the hotel, restaraunt, and/or bar all due to the service we received when we were there on 04/15/2013.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dimitris S, Owner at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Sherry J,
I wanted to take a minute to thank you for your feedback about one of our wonderful people that make the Inn at the Black Olive so special. Our hotel team takes great personal pride in the experience that they are able to convey. It is one that is not only genuine, but one that has as a goal to create a sense of delight. Because we will do anything for our guests to be happy, we feel very good when we get feedback like yours. We are here to serve you, not as servants, but as artists of service. We have a lot of fun. We work as a team and strive to keep as much of a human element so that we can make your stay feel genuine. We are not a big box. Our team members, like Joe, bring a lot of personality and charm to the table.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is one of the best holiday experiences we have ever had. From the warm greeting at the front desk to the beautifully furnished room, it was a great experience from start to finish! The staff were first rate and we also had a delicious meal at the Black Olive restaurant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dimitris S, Owner at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear 614Johnt614,
I just wanted to take the time to personally thank you for your review of our hotel and the mention of our family's restaurant that is the heart of our hospitality. The Black Olive which is the culinary destination that inspired our hotel, has been serving the finest seafood in the area for over 16 years. We are very proud of our food traditions and enjoy very much to come into contact with wonderful people like you. We sure hope the rest of your trip went as well as it started. It gives us great joy to have been part of your good impression of Baltimore, our home!
We look forward to serving you on your next trip to the area. If we may be of any assistance for any travel in the future, don't hesitate to call. Our concierge is available 24 hours to assist with our customers needs.
Thanks again for helping us get the word out!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a nice hotel that is a close, easy walk to all the fun in Fells Point which is my favorite neighborhood in Baltimore. If you want to go to the Inner Harbor it is still a short drive or taxi ride from here. The inn strives to present an edgy, eco-friendly experience and the staff is proud to point out all the "green" features of the rooms. If you are in to that sort of thing you will be pleased with efforts they have made towards sustainability and environmental friendliness. My room (junior suite) was very spacious and comfortable and all of the appointments were sleek, modern and completely up-to-date. Nice bathroom. They also provide a good iPod sound dock and the beds are extremely comfortable. They provide a bottle of wine and spring water in the refrigerator which is also a nice touch, especially in this price range as you would never get that sort of treatment in any hotel that focuses on business travelers. There is also free wi-fi access for each room. The staff is very friendly and there is free, safe, on-street parking just outside the front door. Can't go wrong staying here if you want to focus on this side of downtown.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dimitris S, Owner at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Curmudgey:
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It is very much appreciated and is the only way for a small business to compete with the big chains. My family discovered the jewel of Baltimore 20 years ago and knew the charm and scale were perfect for our family's effort to build a boutique hotel to showcase our special brand of service.

Thanks, especially for letting people know that our hotel is a good place for business travelers. We worked hard to include everything that you may need to conduct your business in Baltimore. We feel a special responsibility as ambassadors of not only this fine city but of Fell's Point as well, one of our nations most historic seaports.

Managing Partner

E:dimitris@theblackolive.com
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is a unique hotel. From the spacious luxurious rooms with such comfortable beds, to the delicious organic food, the Inn at the Black Olive is a little paradise. We celebrated a family wedding at the Inn, enjoying such high quality service from the unobtrusive staff. The top floor venue was perfect for an intimate gathering of about 60 people with the Baltimore sunset as the backdrop. Carefully chosen original artwork throughout the Inn added visual interest. I particularly enjoyed the beautiful large bathroom. Despite the freezing temperatures outside our rooms were comfortably and consistently warm.
Spending the weekend with our extended family at the Inn was memorable!

Room Tip: If you are bringing children ask for a room/suite with blackout curtains in both rooms.