“Calling for 6 Stars, Please” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at The Black Olive

You added Inn at The Black Olive to your Saves list
Inn at The Black Olive
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   803 South Caroline St, Fells Point, Baltimore, MD 21231   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #3 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
Houston
“Calling for 6 Stars, Please”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

5 stars just doesn't capture the level of service and the accomodations here. Even my own mother doesn't treat me so well -- and she is truly the queen of hospitality, comfort, and my ultimate refuge of respite. Our stay was 5 nights long. Skip to what you are interested in using the headings below.

Rooms: Immaculate. I have never seen a cleaner space. Not one spec of dust anywhere.
Spacious: We had plenty of room for our family -- including two bathrooms, a king sized bed and two couches. (Did I mention that when it looked like there weren't enough places to sleep, Demetri actually bought another huge couch for the room so both my teenage sons could have their own sleeping space?) Refrigerator, sink and coffee maker. Our in-room coffee (as well as that at the Agora Market in the hotel) was some of the best we've ever had.

Service: Joseph, Chris, and Demetri jumped to help load and unload our bags and to help us as we passed through the lobby. I forgot my toothbrush and they ran one up, no problem. When I was passing by the front desk one morning, I saw Joseph's divine breakfast (from the hotel restaurant Agora Market) and asked what it was -- he hadn't touched it yet and he offered his own breakfast to me. Wonderful men with manners so gracious and genuine you are surrounded with comfort.

Parking: There is a public parking garage directly next to the hotel. If you enter by 4 and leave before 5 am, it's $3 overnight. Weekend days are $3 too. The daily rate is either $12 or $16 if you are leaving the garage during the hours between 6 am and 4 pm. We found it simple and affordable. But if that's too confusing, the hotel offers valet parking for $25 day.

Restaurants: The food at Agora Market is a real treat, absolutely unsurpassed. I ordered an item that wasn't on the menu (the Greek Heuvos Rancheros) and it couldn't have been better. Each person in our family ordered something different and said the same thing about their own meals. Breakfast is affordable and my dish, complete with eggs, meat and grilled vegetables was under $10. Don't miss this restaurant if you go -- our only regret is that we didn't try it until late in our stay.

The Black Olive, a very fine restaurant, is behind the hotel. There is another fine restaurant on the hotel rooftop. Dudas is also a great tavern around the corner. Whole Foods is also in walking distance.

Easy Access to Public Transportation: The "Circulator" a free bus system that comes every 12 minutes during the day, and 22 minutes in later hours, comes within 4 blocks of the hotel. It will take you to the Convention center, the Aquarium, the shopping centers, or any other major area in town. Try it. You'll like it.

Room Tip: All the rooms have harbor views, all are quiet, all are immaculate. You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Ellicott City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Inn at the Black Olive for valentines night was a perfect getaway for my husband and I. The staff (Joseph, Chris and the owner Dimitri) did everything possible to make our stay special. Beautiful accomodations, great location and the food in the market is delicious. Satellite was down (pretty much everywhere in Fells point) but Joseph helped us with netflixs introducing us to a new comic who was hysterical. Thanks to our Secret santa for such and enjoyable couple days.

Carleton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Inn at The Black Olive satisfies all your senses. The Inn is VERY clean. I loved the style...simple yet artistic. The rooms are very spacious and quiet. I rarely heard anyone. At one point of our stay I thought we were the only people staying at the Inn. I was wrong. It is very peaceful. It is located right between Fells Point and Harbor East. I was able to walk everywhere. The area is safe. There is always someone at the concierge desk to assist you with any need. The food is excellent. You can experience wonderful greek cuisine. Everything is organic and healthy. You can go to the Agora Market on the 1st floor, The Olive Room on the 5th floor, or just take a quick walk around the block to The Black Olive Restaurant. You just feel healthier when you stay here. Also, I learned a lot about food in relation to our health. We stayed for two weeks because my 6 yr old daughter receives rehabilitation from Kennedy Krieger Institute. This Inn is also handicap accessible. I have never experienced a "hotel stay" like this... The Spiliadis Family really care about their guests and I personally experienced this.. We are going back to Baltimore this summer. There is no other place we would stay! I truly felt like family when we stayed there.... Thank You Dimitris! You went above and beyond for us... Chris & Joseph your spectacular!!
~Dory

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

There are not enough positive things I can say. When we arrived the desk staff was friendly & gave us a tour of our room & all of its eco features. We went out on the town and arrived back in the wee hours of the morning, but felt super safe, as there was ample lighting surrounding the inn & a staff member was present at the desk. The bed was heavenly with ample pillows in various sizes, although i would have favored a heavier comforter. The bathtub was much needed in the morning and when paired with the fair trade roast from Zeke's coffee (local) I was eased back to life. It was too cold to go on the terrace, but the view was nice. We didn't use the TV or mini bar, but it seemed to be appointed with sparkling water & wine (and now an unopened bottle of vodka that i accidentally left in it). The only criticism I could possibly issue would be when our phones went dead there was no in room docking station. We called the front desk and the concierge lent us his- yet another example of amazing service.
I would have love to have stayed longer, as it truly felt like an oasis for our staycation.
thanks again!

Oakton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The Inn at the Black Olive is a gem. I have never written a review, but this hotel deserves praise for its unique approach to hospitality. My first criteria is cleanliness and the beautiful, spotless accommodation surpassed my expectations. On check in we were asked what temperature we would like our room to be and it was set to our request. Once we opened the door to the room, we were surprised by the spaciousness and ambiance of the living area and bedroom. The bed was supremely comfortable and the organic philosophy of the entire hotel made us feel extremely good about our environment.
Our purpose for this stay was to receive treatment at Johns Hopkins. The location is extremely close to the hospital, yet in a fabulous location to explore Fells Point by foot. We enjoyed walking around the neighborhood and only used the car to drive to the hospital. We were so impressed that we will be back again. Thank you for providing us with such a welcoming experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Gwynn Oak, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just spent the last couple days at what must be Baltimore’s best-kept secret “The Inn at the Black Olives.” OMG the service was 2nd to none. Every thing was so elegant but yet not over done. Organic sheets, towels and furnishings with a spa Jacuzzi bathroom that was superb and stocked with organic bath salts, lotions and creams. Just minutes from the harbor, valet parking too!!!

Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I think I have a different experience than most but, none the less, important. I found the Inn at the Black Olive because I needed a place to stay while my husband had major surgery at Johns Hopkins. To say that this was just what the doctor ordered is an understatement. This is an Inn where the philosophy is twofold: when you walk through this door you are part of the family; and the health of our planet and ourselves is paramount. Everyone on the staff went out of their way to ensure that we were comfortable. Though there was difficulty with the thermostat, there was never a shrug of the shoulders. They kept trying to get the air conditioning working (it was the end of January!) and they did.

It was also restaurant week in Baltimore. After a grueling day at the hospital, all I wanted was comfort food; not a price fixed menu. When i explained what i wanted the response i heard was "don't worry, we will make it happen". The chef checked off all the dishes he could make for me off menu and I was able to have delectable lamb chops, yummy couscous and baklava.

My husband's discharge date was uncertain, and though I explained this with the understanding that if the discharge was late in the day we would pay for the room, the response I received was "we are not concerned with charges only of your comfort and well being". I know this would not have happened at a chain hotel.

The amazing thing to me is that The Inn is less than two years old. Yes, there are kinks that need to be worked out, but the kindness is overwhelming. We look forward to our next visit (this time for pleasure).
Thank you Dimitris...Alyse and Steve

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dimitris S, Owner at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Falling Tree:

First, on behalf of the my family, we send our best wishes and prayers for the continued recovery of your husband. We feel like all of our guests are like family to us. Our families dream to marry fine food and fine lodging in the tradition of our ancestors is what keeps us going. This also includes forming the personal relationships with guests to provide a service that is different than all the "box" hotels.

It is an honor to serve people during their times of need. We are here to partner with our wonderful medical institutions to make Baltimore a welcoming place for the recovery of patients and their families. We are honored to be located next to one of the greatest Hospitals in the world.

If we can assist you with anything in the future please don’t hesitate to contact us at concierge@theblackolive.com. Our customer service dedicated team is at your service 24 hours. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours in Service,

Dimitris Spiliadis
Managing Partner

E:dimitris@theblackolive.com

Been to Inn at The Black Olive? Share your experiences!