“Clean rooms with fantastic customer service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at The Black Olive

You added Inn at The Black Olive to your Saves list
Inn at The Black Olive
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   803 South Caroline St, Fells Point, Baltimore, MD 21231   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #3 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
Annapolis, Maryland
“Clean rooms with fantastic customer service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

A girlfriend and I stayed here for a weekend while working in Baltimore. The gentlemen (Steve & Ryan) working the front desk were so amazing and accomodating to our needs. They knew immediately that we were both crazy busy with work & made sure we never left the door without fresh coffee and even went to pick up a pizza for us when we arrived back at the hotel late & didnt have anything to eat. It felt like we were staying at a friends house. We took advantage of the free breakfast and had it delivered to our room every morning. Hit the spot! The cafe was super cute & offered some good wines and food at a great price. The staff in the cafe and at the hotel could not have been MORE nice. You pay just as much to stay here as you would most of the hotels in the area but the personal attention can not be beat. It feels like your staying in a one bedroom apartment vs. a hotel. I do agree with some of the other folks that it can get a little noisy since it is near a busy bar neighborhood of baltimore, but this could be a good thing if you want to be in walking distance to bars, restaurants, etc... VERY easy to catch a cab outside as well. Not to mention it is centrally located to most of the cool neighborhoods. And finally...it was SUPER clean. I would recommend this hotel to any friends coming to stay in Baltimore!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dimitris S, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Greetings nshack6:

Thank you for visiting The Inn at The Black Olive and spending your stay in historical Fells Point with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay and sharing your thoughts and experiences with the TripAdvisor Community.

We as a team appreciate whenever a guest recognizes the importance of customer service we deliver to every guest that stays with us.

Knowing the number of quality hotel choices in the Baltimore Charm City area, we appreciate you choosing The Inn at The Black Olive.

If I can assist you with anything in the future please don’t hesitate to contact me at Ryan@theblackolive.com. We look forward to welcoming you back.

E:Ryan@theblackolive.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

It all sounds and looks good. They try real hard, and it IS very eco-friendly. However, the building has noise problems, internally and externally. Internally, its all cement, and not alot of cover/noise reduction, so you can hear folks and staff moving along the halls outside the room, air conditioning is so strong and powerful that when it kicks "ON" it sounds like a "forced air frenzy".... Outside, there were a lot of trucks going by... they said this was an unusual occurrence, due to large outdoor special event....

Breakfast was mediocre, dis-organized, and lacking. All in all, it was not expensive, but there are so many places to stay in Baltimore... Best part: walking distance to Fells Point!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RexKite:

Thank you for visiting The Inn at The Black Olive and spending your stay in historical Fells Point with us. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to write such a detailed review about your recent stay. I was saddened to read your remarks about your stay and the unsatisfactory experience you had with us.

I understand from reading your review that you were not happy with the design of our building. Yes, you are correct that every suite in our building has aerated concrete floors, which helps with our special guests that stay with us who have severe allergies, and also enhances the overall look of the room. In every suite there are many handmade Persian carpets that assist with noise reduction, and I am very sorry it was not up to your standards. Concerning your remarks on our HVAC system, I apologize it was too powerful for you; perhaps you didn't notice on your thermostat that there is a note that says “If your desired temperature is not being reached, please call the front desk.” With that being said, had you notified us, we could have assisted with your concerns.

Lastly your comments about the “special event” that was taking place the weekend you stayed was completely out of our control and I do apologize it was too noisy for you. It was an outdoor concert that many of our guests were attending because of our ideal location across the street from where it was taking place. In the future, we will make sure all guests are aware of any concert taking place in the vicinity so if this would pose a problem, they would have the option of making reservations elsewhere.

I am very sorry breakfast was not up to your expectations. This is a comment we never receive since all of our breakfasts are made individually for each guest and delivered to your suite – our breakfast order forms in our suites are specifically designed for personalization and accuracy.

I am not sure if you have read the previous reviews from our other guests, but customer service is our #1 priority and we do our very best to honor customer requests. I have thoroughly investigated your comments and none of my staff were aware that you had any issues with your stay. I do wish you had informed me or another staff member so we could have quickly rectified your concern.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I fully understand you had very high expectations for our Inn and I would like to apologize that we did not live up to them. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We just returned from a short trip to Baltimore (I am also a Johns Hopkins patient) and we loved this hotel. We have come down many times and have stayed at cheaper places, and more "luxurious" places and this was our favorite. Customer service (Hi Stephen) cannot be beat. The special touches and location made us very happy!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dimitris S, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear crowisland1:

We are very happy to hear your stay was enjoyable and happy.

If you need anything in the future please don’t hesitate to contact me at Ryan@theblackolive.com. We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Our stay (in a room the size of a NYC one bedroom apartment) at this modern and very cool inn was wonderful from the start. The only problem occured when it was time to go - we didn't want to leave and almost (did) miss check-out. The hotel appears to be run by gifted hosts. It would spoil the fun to list all their unexpected touches but trust us there are many many special niceties that truly made the visit welcoming and comfortable. With water views and a neighborhood filled with restaurants for every taste, this is the place to stay!!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a water view according to the front desk. The sitting rooms are designed to enter...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Carlsbad_CA_12:

We as a team appreciate whenever a guest recognizes the emphasis on customer service we strive to give every guest that stays with us. We know there are a lot of hotel choices in the Baltimore Charm City area and glad you choose our Inn to stay at.

New Orlenas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This small hotel is located within 10 minutes of Johns Hopkins, making it easy for patients to come and go from appointments. Ryan was most helpful in securing drivers for our appointments, and he and Steven were accommodating in every way. When our driver was delayed in collecting us for our trip to the train station Ryan took us himself to make sure we were able to catch our train. Now, that's personal service! We loved the spacious layout and all the amenities. My husband had surgery, so I appreciated being able to sleep in the daybed. The whirlpool bathtub was most relaxing, and the complimentary breakfast was delicious and delivered right on time.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Greetings cd3803:

Thank you for visiting The Inn at The Black Olive and spending your stay in historical Fells Point with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your excellent and A+ quality stay and sharing your thoughts and experiences with the TripAdvisor Community.

I am very happy your husband had a successful surgery and we were able to assist in his strong recovery.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My older son's wedding was held in Baltimore and, as all of our family were from out-of-town, I reserved 9 rooms for our contingent (each of the 12 rooms at The Black Olive is actually a two-room suite plus a very large bathroom with an oversized jacuzzi tub and a separate walk-in shower). My son, his then-fiancée, and I visited The Black Olive in February and were very impressed by the suites when Ryan (guest services manager) gave us a peek at two of them. You have to see them to fully appreciate how 'green' they've made the hotel without short-changing either aesthetics or comfort.

So many of the very positive reviews below favorably describe the suites in more detail, so I will say only that they are accurate. By the way, I am mystified by the negative reviewer's complaint about the A/C, as each room has its own thermostat--I turned mine up and down more than once, and the desired temperature was reached as quickly as anywhere else with a quality HVAC system.

As we all started checking in on Friday, staff were uniformly pleasant and accommodating. I'd arrived by nine am to finalize rehearsal dinner details, so Alicia--the hotel manager--made sure my room was cleaned first.

On Saturday morning, a key family member had a sudden health issue. I wouldn't want to bore anyone with the details except to say: 1) it turned out--thank goodness-- to be only a severe reaction to a combination of two newly-prescribed medicines for his soon-to-be-replaced knees; and 2) the primary symptom was that he couldn't stand without losing his balance and falling over.

A doctor in the family determined that a visit to the ER was not required, but by that point we were 4 hours away from the wedding. To my pleasant surprise, Ryan stepped forward. He and my brother-in-law took great care of our ailing family member--he wasn't left alone for a moment--but it became increasingly clear that he was not going to be able to get into a car, let alone walk down a long church aisle.

Dimitris (one of the hotel owners) and Steve (the afternoon concierge) were also very helpful--they somehow managed to get their hands on a wheelchair in less than an hour. I confess I was getting a bit panicky by now, as it was close to the time we had to leave for the church. I was still in jeans and utterly stymied by the prospect of getting someone in a wheelchair to the church and then the reception.

Ryan offered to sort out the wheelchair logistics and to drive our ailing family member to the church (my son very much wanted this person to attend his wedding--in fact, the wedding was delayed until he arrived). I said to Ryan--half-jokingly-- " Gosh, I wish you were coming to the wedding." His response was that he was off-duty at 5 pm and would be happy to come. And, in a suit borrowed from my younger son, attend he did.

I can say without any hesitation that the wedding and reception would not have been nearly as joyful--and enjoyable--had Ryan not been there to look after our wheelchair-bound family member. What an extraordinary, kind and gracious thing to do...

I travel a good bit and have stayed in grand 5-star hotels every now and then. While they are certainly luxurious, they can also be rather impersonal--I've learned I prefer lovely 4-star boutique hotels where my particular preferences are known and my specific needs attended to (e.g., The Lowell in NYC, The Jefferson in DC).

If you prefer a 5-star, 'name' hotel and find yourself in Baltimore, I am told the Four Seasons is up to par. If, however, you want something every bit as comfortable but way cooler--with truly exceptional, personalized service--choose The Inn at The Black Olive. Oh, and the amenities are not bad either: a full room-service breakfast at no additional cost, a highly rated restaurant on the top floor and an organic Greek cafe off the lobby, guest privileges at The Baltimore Athletic Club, reasonably priced on-site parking, and a great location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Greetings Laura M:

Thank you for visiting The Inn at The Black Olive and spending your stay in historical Fells Point with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stellar stay and sharing your thoughts and experiences with the TripAdvisor Community.

I really am touched with the comments you made about me regarding the care I gave your key member of the wedding party, it was truly my pleasure making sure the wedding was a success for your family.

Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Cool hotel- read the other reviews for descriptions. Very attentive service, very spacious rooms. The service and the decor reflect the hotel's attitude that you are more like a guest in their home than a number at a big chain hotel. Would recommend highly. The hotel is conveniently located to Johns Hopkins hospital and the hotel's neighborhood is in an old, interesting section of Baltimore, with non-chain stores and non-chain restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Greetings Colleen L:

Thank you for visiting The Inn at The Black Olive and spending your stay in historical Fells Point with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your excellent stay and sharing your thoughts and experiences with the TripAdvisor Community.

E:Ryan@theblackolive.com

Been to Inn at The Black Olive? Share your experiences!