“Do not stay here! AT YOUR OWN RISK ONLY!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Envy Hotel

You added Envy Hotel to your Saves list
Envy Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   22 E Fayette Street, Baltimore, MD 21202-6422 (Formerly Best Western) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #51 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
“Do not stay here! AT YOUR OWN RISK ONLY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I admit that I booked this hotel based on the price. However, I have had plenty of stays at Best Western hotels in numerous locations and always had a decent experience (at least). Hotels in Baltimore are generally very expensive but in comparison to other hotels in this area, the Best Western Plus Envy seemed like a good deal. I made a non-refundable reservation through Expedia and prepaid. What a mistake this was!! I will first say that I am NOT a picky person and it is unlike me to complain about a hotel. Keep this in mind when reading.

The other reviews mentioning prostitutes outside were absolutely correct. There were several shady looking people hanging around also. I did not blame the hotel for this because the sidewalk is public and I figured, "it's Baltimore and there is probably little the hotel can do about this." Next, I walked into a tiny, cramped lobby and spoke to a rude man behind the counter. Instead of greeting me, he immediately began interrogating me about the number of people staying in my room. When I asked for a second key for my husband, I was told I could not have one and would have to come back later. When I asked why, he told me that they were out of room keys and did not have enough for everyone. Umm, WHAT?? I did not stay long enough to need towels but other reviewers mention being told they were also out of towels. What kind of legitimate business is run this way?

After retrieving my ONE key, we went upstairs and walked through hot, humid, tiny hallways filled with old school security cameras. Clearly there are crime issues here! This building was VERY small and the rooms were about the size of closets. The decor was old and it was hot, dark and dank in the room. There was an AC unit in the window set on 58 that was not effectively cooling the small space. There was an unidentifiable stain on the chair in the room and everything just looked old and dirty. Overall it was disgusting. I was very unhappy and did not feel safe there. I actually ended up checking out that same day and calling Expedia to try to negotiate a refund. They only refunded me for one night and I went to a Springhill Suites by Marriott instead (very, very nice!) I am someone who likes to save money, but I was willing to drop over $500 PLUS the night that didn't get refunded, just to get out of that place.

The positive reviews of this hotel must be from owners or employees. Spend the extra $ and find a nicer, cleaner, safer hotel.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Fort Collins, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Best Western Corporate HQ needs to seriously consider shuttering this dive. It really damages their brand. This hotel is one of the worst I have ever stayed in, rivaling the Motel 6 experiences of my younger days. In mid-summer you can't get the a/c below 74F and sleeping at night is tough, which makes professional meetings the next day rough. The front desk people don't appear to really care about your well being. I was locked out of my room for an hour, but somehow the maid had the only card key that worked. When they tried to call the maintenance man to fix the lock he said he was at the 7-11 down the street, then when they called him 20 minutes later to fix the lock he said he was at the lumber yard, weird. Also, the maid service is terrible, with unchanged sheets, no towel or coffee replacement, and no straightening of any kind. Besides the cockroaches on the walls of my room, the location is horrific, right by a couple of majorly busy bus stops in a pretty run down neighborhood. I have felt safer at night walking around Jakarta than here. And the rats in the alley everyone keeps mentioning; they're real, and they're BIG! Please don't stay here. There are many other nicer options a couple of blocks out of this bad neighborhood.

Room Tip: Find another hotel, there are no good rooms here!
Sarasota, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Do not stay here! I had to stay here for two nights on a business trip. The entire city was booked because of the convention I was attending, or I would have moved hotels. The rooms are disgusting and dirty. The sheets looked like they were 20 years old. There was barely any water pressure, and it was luke warm at best. The worst part, however, was what I found in my bed...fleas! It was awful! I didn't see the fleas until the second night and luckily was able to switch rooms then. I would not send my worst enemy to this hotel. It's just nasty.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Canton, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Location is the key factor - plus reasonable price - and the rooms are fine and there is a small but good business center - two very new computers and good internet access. Main problem is really lack of hotel parking though there is a parking garage a few hundred yards away.

Seattle, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

...but that's the only compliment I can provide. I have never written a hotel review before, but this hotel is so bad that I need to warn people away. Customer service is nonexistent. My reservation was lost and I was finally given a room after an hour and numerous negotiations. Housekeeping showed up once in 3 days, but only slightly straightened the sheets and neglected to give me a new roll of toilet paper (there were about 3 squares on the roll when I checked in and I have now moved onto tissues). The floor is filthy and I got dirt all over my sheets before I figured out to leave my sandals on. I had to ask for towels so I could take a shower. Breakfast is in the basement(!), but I can't bring myself to eat food prepared by these people. Only the rat-filled alley would be worse than this place.

Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Was in town for a baseball game and had 3 rooms. Upon our return to the hotel on Saturday evening around 10:30 there were numerous large rats running around outside the hotel. When we told the front desk clerk about them he stated he was aware that they were there.

None of the soda machines on any of the floors had any soda in them.

The hotel fact sheet states the following:
Complimentary full breakfast, choice of breads, cereal, fruit, hot eggs, hot breakfast meat, other hot items, yogurt, juice and coffee.

What it really is:
The complimentary full breakfast was served in a stuffy hot room in the basement. On Saturday morning there were no eggs, butter or milk for the cereal. The apple juice was rancid. When we asked the woman working the breakfast where the eggs, butter and milk were all she said was "No". On Sunday morning there was a stick of butter that was still in the paper wrapper melting on the table with no refrigeration.

The hotel fact sheet states the following:
Restaurants:
Ban Tahi, on premises, bar/lounge, American, open for: breakfast, lunch, dinner
Sabatino's Italian Restaurant, on premises, full service, American, open for: lunch, dinner

What it really is:
Neither of the above mentioned restaurants on site. In fact there is no restaurant on site. When we asked the front desk person about Sabatino’s we were told that Sabatino’s is actually in the Little Italy section of Baltimore.

Each room had issues.
One room had the following issues:
The air conditioner was not working, it ran constantly but never cooled the room. The room had a musty smell.
The refrigerator was not cold even though it was on the maximum setting
Only provided one small bar of soap. Normally one would expect a bar for the sink and a bar for the shower.
There were only two towels and one face cloth in the room so I requested 2 additional towels. After 2 hours when I still didn't have the additional towels I called the front desk and was told that there were no towels available. I did eventually receive the additional towels but it took about 4 hours to get them.
There were pubic hairs in the tub

Second room had the following issues:
There were chicken bones left in the room from the previous guests
The room had a musty smell.

Third room had the following issues:
The towels in the room at check in appeared to have been used. Requested new towels but were told there were none available at that time.
The air conditioner did not cool the room
The room had a musty smell.

Room Tip: Only tip I could offer is don't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to Envy Hotel? Share your experiences!