“Unsafe and SCARY” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Envy Hotel

You added Envy Hotel to your Saves list
Envy Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   22 E Fayette Street, Baltimore, MD 21202-6422 (Formerly Best Western) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #51 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Unsafe and SCARY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

People lingering around outside the hotel on the street, no parking, front door stuck open, trash and an infestation of RATS in alley next door. Pulled up to check in, nowhere to park...refused to stay here...NOT SAFE!!!

Room Tip: Stay at the Sheraton a block away!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Absecon, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the staff, both of whom I met were very nice. Now, on to the serious problems.

Cleanliness: the hallway outside my door was not vacuumed for the 4 days I stayed at the hotel. I know because there was trash of varying sizes -- from very small (pieces of paper and lint) to much larger (several entire tissues wadded up and containing God-knows-what) -- strewn across the hall. Additionally, the trash can outside the elevator on my floor was filled to overflowing and never once emptied during my 4-day stay. Inside the room, a long, dark hair was found within the bed sheets (clearly not mine, as I am bald); and more hair was found inside the tub. The elevator had a relatively large puddle of red soda-like liquid that stayed there as long as I was a guest.

State of repair: in a word, the hotel's physical shape is deplorable. To properly close, the door to my room had to be either pushed from the outside to close or pulled from the inside. In either case, the deadbolt did not work as it did not align with the latchplate on the door jamb: that's a bit unnerving. Over the threshold leading into the bathroom there is a thin metal plate that, when stepped on, caused a loud pop. The bathroom door had some kind of trim work running down the length of both sides of the door; however, this trim was curling up at the bottom on both sides. The decorative caps that cover the bolts holding the grip bars in the bathtub would not stay in place and instead continually slid down to the bottom. The trash cans in the breakfast area, which had foot pedals that ostensibly opened the lid, did not work, thus requiring the user to bend down and manually lift the trash lid. The glass front door of the hotel never closes entirely, staying about 8" open instead.

In general: a friend of mine who was staying in another room on a different floor checked out a day early because he saw "a critter" scurry across his floor.

It takes quite a bit to skeeve me out, but the Best Western Envy managed to do it. The name of the hotel makes me question what anone would envy about someone staying there. The price was reasonable, but certainly not worth the sacrifice of quality and cleanliness.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Envy Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

first issue is there is no parking at the hotel nearest pay parking is a block away . not the best area to be walking around with your luggage a block at night. homeless and pan handlers hanging around the front door. someone was smoking marajunia smoking in the staircase. The beds had a sheet a thin blanket and another sheet during a freezing windy 39 degree night. the heating system kicked in at 4 am as loud as jet engine. the bathroom door didn't lock or even stay closed. there was a metal plate on the floor going into bathroom that when u steped on sounded like thunder. wake up call was an hour late. The staff was nice. i find it a shame that Best Western would put thier name to this hotel

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Envy Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. While I’m thrilled to hear our staff was friendly, I regret that the hotel did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of evaluating opportunities for improvement and appreciate your input!
Wilkes Barre Pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

First I would like to say, the staff was very friendly and helpful.

As far as accomadations, that was a different story.
1. Inner Harbor is alot further tthen advertised on the website.
2. Only burger king is around as far as a restaurant, no toher restaurants in the area.
3. Our air conditioning would not turn on at all at night, the heat kept blowing out all night long, it was 82 degrees when we finally left.
4. We were never told about breakfast in the morning.

Overall, the stay was a nightmare, I will never stay at this Best Western again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Envy Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
 Thank you for taking the time to compliment our staff and we take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.
Bronx, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

I stayed two nights in the King bed room. The hotel environment was very nice, the room nicely decoratored and very clean. The price was right too. The hotel security features very good. The down side was the neighborhood. Next door there is a Burger King with an alley beside it and I was not happy to see large rats dancing around in the alley coming in at night. I did not feel safe walking in the neighborhood after dusk. A bus stop is in front of the hotel and many people are kind of hanging around talking loud. It's also very deserted, most of the businesses that are still in business were closed around 6 PM on a Friday night. I am a New Yorker who lives in the Bronx, so I'm not easily frightened. I drove into town and had to park in a lot that's 3 blocks away, carrying my luggage three blocks before I checked in, there's no space for car pull up where you can bring in your luggage. Saturday morning the elevator didn't work so I had to bring down my things down the stairs. It's a good thing I am able. Saturday night when I came in the Hotel desk clerk didn't have the keys for the towel closet, therefore I couldn't get extra towels for a late night shower.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Envy Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
 Thank you for taking the time to compliment our hotel and we are sincerely sorry our location did not meet your needs.
Vancouver, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I got this hotel through hotels.com... I won't be coming back. The first room they tried to give me had a door that had literally been broken into-- and the repair to the door showed it would have easily been broken into again.

The hotel is right by a bus stop (literally in front of the hotel) and you get to hear the busses and honking all day/night.

The weirdest part of this hotel is the light above the bed... it is a constantly changing multi-colored strobe light. Honestly, I would get another hotel if I hadn't already paid and have to deal with the pain in the butt hotels.com people.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Calgary, AB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for two nights prior to leaving on a cruise. We used BW points to pay, so the price was right but I certainly wouldn't pay to stay here again.

The area is a bit sketchy and we didn't feel real comfortable being out after dark. Every time we were out we were approached by people asking for money.

The hotel is newly renovated but the workmanship is poor.

The place isn't terrible but don't expect much.

• Stayed February 2012
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Envy Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We are committed to offering a clean, comfortable hotel room with a complimentary breakfast each morning that is fresh and offers healthy, delicious options. We look forward to having a second chance to exceed your expectations, and warmly welcome you back.

Been to Envy Hotel? Share your experiences!