“Affordable and great!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Affordable and great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Very close to inner harbor, this hotel was reasonably priced and very clean. Rooms were a little smaller than the usual size but still adequate. Read trip advisory reviews before booking and they were very helpful. Parking area was very smal but staff said if we went out and couldn't find a spot, they would refund our parking fee and that metered parking across the street was free for the overnight hours. Fortunately, we did find a spot. Very clean and bathrooms were good. Computer in lobby so you can cheek area maps or other things. There were homeless in the area (as stated by others) nut they were never a problem. We would stay again if in the area. Went to aquarium. That was also great!

• Stayed April 2012
SleepInnBaltimore, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Love the location, don't you? I enjoy the short 10 minutes walk every day to the Inner Harbor for lunch and not only do I see the sites and sounds of downtown Baltimore, I also get a little exercise before and after my lunch. I hope you took advantage of the Charm Circulator, the free bus service, which covers the entire city! The bus stop is right in front of the Hotel. Hope to see you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Trenton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We visit Baltimore at least once a year, usually to see a game and this year I was able to get a great rate at the Sleep Inn. We had previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Express next door so we were familiar with the location.

The hotel is easy enough to get to, and is close to many things, although I'm not sure you would want to walk to any of them. Power Plant might be the one exception, but if you were coming back late I'm not sure about that one.

We made it to the hotel early in the afternoon so we could head to dinner prior to the ballgame, and before leaving I asked for advise on taking a cab, or parking near the stadium since no shuttle is available (The Holiday Inn offers a shuttle to the Harbor, and Stadium). And while the girls at the desk were nice, they were unable to help. They also could not guarantee that a parking space that I paid for ($15) would be available when I returned.

The room was very nice, but breakfast only being available from 6-9 seemed a little odd, and our floor became very noisy at 8am. We could hear the arrival and departure of the elevator, along with music in another room, girls in the hallway, and the cleaners. I understand some people like to get up and out early, but as we were only returning home it would have been nice to relax with some peace and quiet.

That being said, I never did have a problem parking, and the staff was friendly. You will have to drive or take a cab everywhere, but if I could get a similar rate I would likely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are hoping to start offering a shuttle service to the Inner Harbor soon! I hope the next time you visit Baltimore you take advantage of the Charm Circulator, the free bus service that covers the entire city! We are lucky to have a bus stop right in front of the hotel. We have extended our breakfast times and are now pleased to offer breakfast Mon-Fri 6am-9.30am and Sat & Sun 6am-10am. We love to hear from guests like yourself and take your comments into great consideration. We look forward to welcoming you back soon! If I can be of any assistance with future reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

My family was in Baltimore for a dance competition at the Inner Harbor Marriott, and I chose the Sleep Inn based on reviews on TripAdvisor. It offered the best combination of lowest price, close proximity to the competition, and most positive reviews.

Traveling with two other families, we all arrived by taxi from the airport prior to the check in time, and having requested early check in, we were at first told there were no rooms ready. I had also modified my booking (through booking.com) weeks before arrival with no apparent problem, but found on checking in that the modification had resulted in a duplicate reservation, at a higher rate than originally booked, and this caused confusion and delay. Mr. Bassiouni repeatedly asked me if I was parking a car (a $15 charge per day) and I said no each time. I had called 4 days before arrival to check on my reservation, and request that all the families in our group could be put on the same floor. This seemed to be a problem too, but ultimately it was worked out.

My family's room was quite small compared to the others I saw, but adequate for our needs. It was quiet and clean although there were quite a few spots on the carpet. We did hear neighboring guests some of the time, but mostly it was very quiet. My bed was a bit saggy in the middle and the pillows were very lumpy. I particularly didn't like the bed linens...they were the crispy kind that make a crunchy noise whenever you move. The pillow was like sleeping on a bag of potato chips...I tried all four on my bed and they were all the same, and were rather small too. So I didn't sleep as well as I had hoped, but my other family members did, so not everyone would be bothered by the sheets and pillows. The free breakfast is standard at all the Sleep Inns, not exciting but plenty to fill you up. The breakfast attendant is a nice gentleman and interacts cheerfully with everyone.

We were able to walk to the Inner Harbor, although we took taxis when going to the competition. I would not recommend walking around the area after dark. The waterfront is busy and touristy, but the farther away you go the more it's like any big city. There is a church just down the street from the hotel where homeless people gather. They didn't bother us but it can feel a bit insecure to travelers.

There is a free Circulator bus that stops very close by that may be helpful for getting around but it doesn't go all the way to the waterfront. The connecting routes are a bit inconvenient, I thought. We also went to Washington D.C. by Amtrak from Penn Station, which is not far, but you would not want to walk there either. The taxi drivers are a bit crazy and everyone drives way over the speed limit, police included. We heard lots of sirens in the city when out and about. The hotel has an affiliated limo service that happened to be there one day, and the driver offered to take us to Penn Station for the same cost as the taxi had the day before. It was a much nicer way to travel! We also used the limo to go to the airport for $35 and it was wonderful. If you ask the hotel can give you his contact information. It's much less than renting a car, and parking is very expensive in the city.

Upon check out we found that we had been charged for parking each day, but Mr. Cunningham removed it and was very helpful and pleasant. If we return to Baltimore we would most likely stay at the Sleep Inn again.

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger; request one if you need the room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Orleans, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Traveling this time with our two small dogs, we needed a pet friendly place, and we also wanted to be close to the harbor area. Rejected one place for being really pricy with mixed reviews. Found this. In an old refurbished building, with very, very high ceilings. Not a nice part of town, in spite of proximity to the harbor: street persons asleep on benches virtually outside of the hotel at night. Not threatening, just unsettling when panhandled, which happened to us twice.

BUT, the hotel itself was an island of safety: enclosed parking, very attentive staff. Very modern. Dog floor was on floor one. Our room was, as we requested, close to a back (keyed) entrance. Room was as high to ceilings as it was big in other dimensions (also big.)

However, when we came in, there was: (1.) a large modern King bed; (2.) a large 30 something inch flat screen HDTV attached to the wall; (3.) one desk chair; in front of (4.) one relatively small desk. That was it. To the right of the bed as one faced that wall was perhaps 130 Ft. squared of nothing except bare carpeted floor. Exec. king, but no refrigerator. etc. I walked to the front desk and asked Glenn (who should get a medal) for a fridge and another chair. No problem, he said. Both came almost immediately -- the fridge from ? and the chair wheeled in from -- yes -- the lobby! Still felt like living in a (VERY) spacious tomb, but it was a bit better. The wife -- who likes things stark and uncluttered -- loved it. The dogs did not care: both small, they get to sleep on the big comfortable King bed anyway. I felt like something out of a sci-fi movie in which my soul was being sucked away by very clean blacks, grays, whites, and nothing.

So why did this a "very good" rating? Because it was very VERY clean -- sterile. Because the desk service was spectacularly helpful -- thank you, Glenn. And because, I think that the management will at some point adequately furnish this property -- they are clearly trying.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
SleepInnBaltimore, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments from your recent stay with us. I value our guest comments tremendously, as they are a great indicator as to what we are doing well and what items need improvement. I am happy to inform you that we will be adding sofa's and chairs to our rooms. I will gladly pass on your kind comments to Glen and our housekeeping team, they are the best! We are lucky to have such a wonderful and hardworking team. Please come back and visit us soon!

Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Glen [--]was very professional and pleasant to us! In response to my request (personal preference), he went out of his way to accommodate us by swapping our room. On the other hand, Gamal [--] (Asst. Genl. Mgr.) was exposed as a liar when documentation hit my bank regarding his activities. When I showed him the proof, he became ugly and abusive in his verbal behavior. I will definitely return to this hotel for many reasons, but I hope that next time I don't see Gamal [--].

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Moore,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet with you in person; it was great to meet your family and to hear that your daughter did so well in her dance competition! I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to Glen (although I know he already goes through each one of our reviews personally). Our Assistant GM is no longer with us, and I apologize for any discomfort caused by him during your stay. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Lucy Boston

P.S. I hope you had a wonderful time in DC!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

The assistant general manager Gamal was quite helpful in assisting me with my late night check in on friday 1/23/12, Gamal & Kelly made me feel like there was no problem in satisfying any of my needs while staying at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
SleepInnBaltimore, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We really appreciate receiving feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

the reviews of this hotel are all true! stayed at Sleep Inn for 3 nights and it was just great. The room is extremely clean and modern. the beds are very comfortable, the staff is exceptional and doesnt hesitate to fulfill any of your requests. the walk down to the inner harbor is very short, 5-10 min maybe. would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SleepInnBaltimore, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear Guest,
I’m happy to read your comments about your recent stay. I will be sure to pass your compliments along to the team who will be very pleased to hear your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sleep Inn & Suites in the future. Please contact me for any future reservations and I will ensure that we take care of you. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Kind regards,
Lucy Boston

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor? Share your experiences!