“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
Fort Lee, New Jersey
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

The hotel was lovely. What a delightful boutique hotel with the right mix of turn of the century aesthetics and modern conveniences. It is walking distance from the train station or a 5 minute cab ride. The neighborhood
has such a incredible array of restaurants. A five minute walk or less
will take you from Ethiopian to Afghan to Indian fare. Besides these nice
bonuses, I have to call out Milton and Paul who worked during the days I was staying. They were so attentive and proactive with brilliant suggestions of where to eat (how I found out about the aforementioned) to helping with rental-a-cars (challenge on a FREEZING morning at 8 am). All their help, and suggestions of the entire staff was done with such warmth,
I was quite swept away. Last but not least, for those business travelers
looking for a different option to the mega sky rise chains, SUPER FAST WIFI!! Woop! Overall, an outstanding experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you so very much for your kind words. We truly enjoyed having you as our guest, and we look forward to seeing you again soon. We could not agree with you more, we are an excellent option for outside the big chain hotels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed one night in early the weekend before Christmas. The in an Amazon Local deal. It included a queen room, bottle of wine, continental breakfast and dinner for two at Supano's restaurant on water Street.
The exterior old the hotel is impressive. It dates from the 1870's. The lobby is not so impressive but don't be put off. We were upgraded to a king room on the second floor. It was well appointed and quite comfortable. Gilchrist and Soames toiletries. The TV was a little odd because the remote would only change stations, adjusting the volume or even turning on and off required using the controls on the tv.
Ebony, who worked at the desk during our stay, was wonderful. She went out of her way to be accommodating. Even taking us to the breakfast room to show us how to use the sophisticated espresso/cappuccino machine which is available 24/7. Yumm!! She also arranged to ship an item of clothing which we inadvertantly left in the room.
A word of caution. There is free on the street parking directly in front of the hotel. Very convenient. But there are only 6 spaces, first come, first served.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing such a kind review. We will be sure to look into the remote so that the volume control works as well. We hope that you will stay with us again soon on your return to Baltimore.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I have stayed at Brexton many times over the past few years, and it is a clean and friendly place to stay while exploring Baltimore. The staff works hard to make it comfortable for guests and are very friendly. Once in awhile I can hear the neighbors in the room next door, but most often a quiet place to be. Very convenient to Myerhoff Symphony Hall and if you enjoy walking, not to far from the Inner Harbor, or you can take the free Purple Bus.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for such a kind and thoughtful review of our hotel. We truly value your opinion, and we look forward to your return to the Brexton!
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The staff is friendly, accommodating, and clueless. The rooms are well maintained, and sizable, but don't ask them for directions. They'll tell you where a bus stops, or where the light rail will pick you up, but won't inform you of simple things like "Light rail doesn't run until 11 AM on Sundays" or "The bus stop you need to get off, if you pick up the bus at the stop we're pointing you to is [__]." Additionally, they'll call you a cab, and that cab will come in "2-15 minutes." It's out of the way enough that you stay away from the downtown Baltimore nonsense, but it's out of the way enough that you're away from everything.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry for any confusion regarding getting around in Baltimore. Taxi cabs can take anywhere from two to 15 minutes to arrive at our hotel depending on demand. We hope that you will stay with us again soon. We promise to offer a detailed map with specific instructions upon your next visit.
West Chester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I was in town on business and decided to book my reservation on hotel.com with Hotel Brexton. I had a wonderful stay there two years ago. When I arrived early in the afternoon my room was not ready. I stored my bags and did some sightseeing. When I came back at 5 I checked in and boy was I DISAPPOINTED. I had a lovely room on a beautiful side street. I imagine my surprise when I discovered the curtains were broken on both windows facing the street. The only blind that worked was facing a car parked on an alley. I immediately went back to the desk and asked for another room. I was told I was blocked into a room the hotel was sold out and I could not be moved. I guess engineering does not exist at Hotel Brexton... IThe room should have been put out of order until the blinds were repaired!!! I asked to speak to the manager. None ever materialized. I did get free WIFI The room was clean. I work in hospitality at another hotel out of state. I felt like I was thrown under the bus. The blinds could have been fixed or I could have been moved. Plenty of people were still due in... at 5 PM. The difference was I prepaid at hotels.com. Not refundable... If I decide to stay again at Hotel Brexton I will deal with them directly and not through an online booking, Also the front desk staff was not in uniform and no one had name tags on. The housekeepers were in uniform. I was VERY surprised.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to make a reservation!!! If there is any issues it will be easier to resolve...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
We sincerely apologize for your recent experience at our hotel. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that day, and I promise you we will look into your review to make sure this does not happen again. We do have an engineering department at the hotel and I will be sure to share your comment on the blinds with them. Again, we are truly sorry and we hope that you will give us another chance to prove our award winning service to you.
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Brexton for 3 nights in October and loved it! The building and rooms are beautiful. We love historical buildings and it was a treat to learn about the hotel's history and see the before and after pics they have displayed on each floor. We also absolutely loved their coffee machine! It is hard to get good coffee at a hotel and it was a real treat to have their coffee machine which could make fresh coffee, lattes, cappuccinos, etc with the flavors we love (french vanilla, irish cream, and mocha are our favorites). The location was ideal as we were able to walk to bars and restaurants as well as the museums, theaters, cathedrals, and other amazing monuments! We strongly recommend it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are thrilled to know you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We agree that good coffee can be so hard to find when traveling; that is why we offer only the best coffee machines for our guests. Thank you again, and we look forward to your return soon!
Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I've had two short stays (2 nights and 3 nights) at the Brexton recently, and everything about the experience was a pleasure, from the welcome of the desk staff, to one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. I stayed in two different rooms - one on the 2nd floor (luxurious, with wooden floors) and one of the 5th (with beautiful views across the city). Both were spacious, impeccably clean and well appointed. I can't imagine a better place to stay in the Mount Vernon district of Baltimore and the building itself is historic. Lots of great restaurants and cafes a short walk away, as is Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, in a nice part of town. The elevator is slow but it works fine. I came by train so parking wasn't an issue. The desk staff was unfailingly helpful and friendly. The breakfast is continental - and free (there are good places for a big breakfast nearby). In a word: great.

Room Tip: Views from the higher floors are great (I was in a room that faced East), but it's worth asking...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for such kind words! We take great price in reading your review. It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to your return.

Been to Hotel Brexton? Share your experiences!