“It's good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
Baltimore, Maryland
“It's good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Overall it's a good hotel to stay. For the money I paid, $99 per night, the historically renovation hotel room is okay, with a nice city view. The room is clean, the bed is comfortable to sleep on but I found a dirt spot on the blanket which is unacceptable.

• Stayed August 2013
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the room and view. We apologize for the dirt spot, and we will be sure to inspect all of our blankets. We hope that you will join us again soon for another stay in Baltimore.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Warren, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I had a recent stay at the Brexton. The room was noisy, they stuck us next to the elevator control room and we constantly heard the motor squeal every other minute during our stay. Rarely had a pair of wash cloths, didn't replace toilet paper also had to beg for a an extra towel on one day. They do give you about 8 bed pillows but I have no idea why.

I found some of the staff friendly, others were clueless. The manager Paul is worthless and I caught him red handed in a lie. We booked a 4 night stay and my wife rolled her ankle on their deathtrap spiral staircase. We decided that it would be best if we leave after three days because she could not walk to and through the museums. The heartless and smug manager Paul M told me he could not issue me a refund. I found that to be a lie. The booking service said they can reimburse but it is at the discretion of the hotel manager. He tried to give me discounts off of future stays (have it on tape).
I also have pics of the deathtrap spiral staircase. I will share it with those who want to see. Stay away. I should think about suing this hotel. I cannot recall ever seeing a staircase without a handrail in a public place. Very shady management. I asked to speak to Paul's boss, but Paul said he is as high as it gets. I actually like the location and would have come back in 6 weeks for the Egypt exhibit. Four of us will come back for three nights and book two rooms, obviously it will be in a different hotel thanks to Paul. I am telling you the absolute truth.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
We are sorry for your recent experience at our hotel. We hope that your wife's ankle is better. We do have an elevator in our hotel for our guest's convenience. The staircase is part of our historic charm, but guests do not have to use it. As for a refund, we did show you that your Expedia reservation was non-refundable so that is why we offered you a discount on a future stay instead. We hope to have you and your wife as our guest again soon to prove our award winning service to you. After all, your wife wrote a wonderful review in our guest book about how "beautiful the city is and how lovely our hotel is."
North Yarmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

After reading several negative reviews about using vouchers and coupons at the Hotel Brexton, I was hesitant about staying here. However, my husband and I had no problems using a Travelzoo voucher here. As a matter of fact, the manager was very accommodating in making our reservation via email and assuring me that our room would be ready at the discounted price. We arrived around 1 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon and found that all of the free parking spaces in front of the hotel were empty and available (the spaces were all full by early Sunday evening so plan accordingly). Our room was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. We especially enjoyed the basement kitchen where we were able to get hot beverages at any time as well as dishes and silverware for take-out food that we brought back to the room. Breakfast was not fancy but adequate. The neighborhood was an interesting blend of diversity--close to Symphony Hall, several restaurants, public transportation, a pharmacy. Our room was small but charming and modern. No complaints. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing such a kind review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We loved having you as our guest, and we cannot wait for your return!
Catonsville, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a quiet weekend at the Brexton- clean room and courteous staff. Parking was a little tight, but overall a very pleasant stay. We explored the area and enjoyed several of the fine restaurants in the local area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We truly enjoyed having you as our guest, and we hope to see you again for another special weekend away!
Norfolk, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I checked in to my room and was pleasantly surprised with how quaint the hotel was. The room was small, but I was only staying for one night so not much of an issue. As my fiancee and I laid across the bed following our 5 hour drive I noticed a bug crawling across one of the pillows. I immediately took a picture and killed it as my fiancee stripped the bed to look for more. Low and behold, there was another crawling on the bed. A closer inspection of the room showed that the window shelf had several spider webs and dead bugs inside. Also, in the bathroom the glass fire alarm casing had at least 10 dead bugs in it. I brought this up to the front desk clerk who (after expressing her concern) checked for other rooms there, at a sister hotel, and other hotels in the area but they were all booked. She assured me that she would clean the room and have it in a better condition when I returned from the concert I was attending. She also stated that she would notify the hotel manager by email for him to speak with me upon his arrival the next morning about the condition of my room and a possible refund. The room was in a better condition by the time I returned with the exception of the fire alarm casing, but the damage had been done. The next morning I had to initiate a conversation with the general manager (although he acknowledged receiving the email) who's excuse for the condition of the room was, "it was raining yesterday." I asked if this was common and his response was, "I'm not saying it happens often but the room is at basement level." If you decide to stay here, please do a thorough check of your room!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
We are sorry for your recent experience at our hotel. We have inspected your room and have cleaned it thoroughly. When I spoke with you upon departure we gave you a voucher for 50% off a future reservation with us, and we hope that you will give us a second chance. We are truly sorry we were unable to refund your room, but as we explained to you we are unable to to refund reservations made and paid for through online travel agencies such as Expedia.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I booked the hotel on Kayak for a business trip. Overall, the hotel is decent, although it is somewhat sketchy that you have to buzzed in to enter the lobby and the location has very little around it. The room decor was modern and had a unique layout due to the historic building the hotel is in.
When I returned home and had to expense the trip, my folio receipt did not match what I was charged. I called the hotel to inquire and spoke a young girl who did not seem to know what was going on. I then asked for the manager who was speaking to her in background and he was rude from the start, interrupting me on several occasions. Once we figured out the issue (the folio receipt does not match what I was charged since I booked it online - huh?), he told me to call Kayak to get the receipt and essentially hung up on me. Not a good way to keep customers coming back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
I am sorry that you feel that we were rude to you trying to explain why we were unable to provide you with a receipt for your accommodation. Just to be clear, the reservation was made under a third party booking company and charged you directly. We were not in a position to say how much they charged you as they normally send a receipt directly to the customer. On our end we were just trying to assist you in directing you to the booking company that made your reservation and charged you so that you can contact them for a receipt. All third party booking companies make commission off the reservation they make and that’s why they charge you directly and later pay us less their commission and hence we don’t charge the guest credit card and that’s the reason why we are not able to give a receipt for such a reservation as we have no charge from our company placed onto your card. Again, we apologize for the break down of communication.
New Hyde Park, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I can't give a review of this hotel good or bad because we never actually got there. After purchasing a last minute voucher on living social I called the hotel to make a reservation for early the following week. We were told that only person there a "booking manager" was away on vacation until at least Tuesday and no one was able to take our reservation. My fiancé called 3-4 times the following day (after emailing the booking manager) to even speak to someone for assistance leaving his name and number and not a single person even made an attempt to return his call. I just think its kind of crazy that in a hotel only 1 person is able to take a reservation when you have a current deal on living social. Will be getting a refund and paying closer attention to reviews as others have had the same issue with this establishment as we did.

• Stayed August 2012
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
We apologize for the lack of response regarding a reservation. This is truly unacceptable, and we are working hard to establish a best practice when guests wish to redeem special online offers. We hope that you will give us a second chance to prove to you our award winning service.

Been to Hotel Brexton? Share your experiences!