“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 69 hotels in Baltimore
North Yarmouth
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

After reading several negative reviews about using vouchers and coupons at the Hotel Brexton, I was hesitant about staying here. However, my husband and I had no problems using a Travelzoo voucher here. As a matter of fact, the manager was very accommodating in making our reservation via email and assuring me that our room would be ready at the discounted price. We arrived around 1 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon and found that all of the free parking spaces in front of the hotel were empty and available (the spaces were all full by early Sunday evening so plan accordingly). Our room was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. We especially enjoyed the basement kitchen where we were able to get hot beverages at any time as well as dishes and silverware for take-out food that we brought back to the room. Breakfast was not fancy but adequate. The neighborhood was an interesting blend of diversity--close to Symphony Hall, several restaurants, public transportation, a pharmacy. Our room was small but charming and modern. No complaints. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing such a kind review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We loved having you as our guest, and we cannot wait for your return!

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Catonsville, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a quiet weekend at the Brexton- clean room and courteous staff. Parking was a little tight, but overall a very pleasant stay. We explored the area and enjoyed several of the fine restaurants in the local area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We truly enjoyed having you as our guest, and we hope to see you again for another special weekend away!
Norfolk, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I checked in to my room and was pleasantly surprised with how quaint the hotel was. The room was small, but I was only staying for one night so not much of an issue. As my fiancee and I laid across the bed following our 5 hour drive I noticed a bug crawling across one of the pillows. I immediately took a picture and killed it as my fiancee stripped the bed to look for more. Low and behold, there was another crawling on the bed. A closer inspection of the room showed that the window shelf had several spider webs and dead bugs inside. Also, in the bathroom the glass fire alarm casing had at least 10 dead bugs in it. I brought this up to the front desk clerk who (after expressing her concern) checked for other rooms there, at a sister hotel, and other hotels in the area but they were all booked. She assured me that she would clean the room and have it in a better condition when I returned from the concert I was attending. She also stated that she would notify the hotel manager by email for him to speak with me upon his arrival the next morning about the condition of my room and a possible refund. The room was in a better condition by the time I returned with the exception of the fire alarm casing, but the damage had been done. The next morning I had to initiate a conversation with the general manager (although he acknowledged receiving the email) who's excuse for the condition of the room was, "it was raining yesterday." I asked if this was common and his response was, "I'm not saying it happens often but the room is at basement level." If you decide to stay here, please do a thorough check of your room!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
We are sorry for your recent experience at our hotel. We have inspected your room and have cleaned it thoroughly. When I spoke with you upon departure we gave you a voucher for 50% off a future reservation with us, and we hope that you will give us a second chance. We are truly sorry we were unable to refund your room, but as we explained to you we are unable to to refund reservations made and paid for through online travel agencies such as Expedia.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I booked the hotel on Kayak for a business trip. Overall, the hotel is decent, although it is somewhat sketchy that you have to buzzed in to enter the lobby and the location has very little around it. The room decor was modern and had a unique layout due to the historic building the hotel is in.
When I returned home and had to expense the trip, my folio receipt did not match what I was charged. I called the hotel to inquire and spoke a young girl who did not seem to know what was going on. I then asked for the manager who was speaking to her in background and he was rude from the start, interrupting me on several occasions. Once we figured out the issue (the folio receipt does not match what I was charged since I booked it online - huh?), he told me to call Kayak to get the receipt and essentially hung up on me. Not a good way to keep customers coming back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
I am sorry that you feel that we were rude to you trying to explain why we were unable to provide you with a receipt for your accommodation. Just to be clear, the reservation was made under a third party booking company and charged you directly. We were not in a position to say how much they charged you as they normally send a receipt directly to the customer. On our end we were just trying to assist you in directing you to the booking company that made your reservation and charged you so that you can contact them for a receipt. All third party booking companies make commission off the reservation they make and that’s why they charge you directly and later pay us less their commission and hence we don’t charge the guest credit card and that’s the reason why we are not able to give a receipt for such a reservation as we have no charge from our company placed onto your card. Again, we apologize for the break down of communication.
New Hyde Park, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I can't give a review of this hotel good or bad because we never actually got there. After purchasing a last minute voucher on living social I called the hotel to make a reservation for early the following week. We were told that only person there a "booking manager" was away on vacation until at least Tuesday and no one was able to take our reservation. My fiancé called 3-4 times the following day (after emailing the booking manager) to even speak to someone for assistance leaving his name and number and not a single person even made an attempt to return his call. I just think its kind of crazy that in a hotel only 1 person is able to take a reservation when you have a current deal on living social. Will be getting a refund and paying closer attention to reviews as others have had the same issue with this establishment as we did.

• Stayed August 2012
Brexton, General Manager at Hotel Brexton, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
We apologize for the lack of response regarding a reservation. This is truly unacceptable, and we are working hard to establish a best practice when guests wish to redeem special online offers. We hope that you will give us a second chance to prove to you our award winning service.
FFX Va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I looked forward to spending our anniversary at this historic hotel and booked an accessible room. At check-in Cameron informed us the room, LL1, was one of the better rooms. Room was fine, though partially below ground, but TV did not work -- lower third of screen jumped causing instant nausea. I went immediately back to desk to report tv issue and was told by asst manager that she was aware there was a problem with the TV as she had looked at it yesterday but hotel was fully booked, she could not change our room and could not replace our tv, but that we could watch the kitchen tv down the hall. This was not acceptable so we requested that our card be credited and we checked out. Beleaguered desk person informed us he could not issue credit without contacting hotel manager and this would have to be done via email as the manager was not otherwise contactable. My husband called our credit card company ro inform them we would be contesting this charge and I myself emailed hotel manager. We left the Brexton and went to another hotel. As of now we have received no response from hotel management.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Let me apologize for your recent experience at our hotel. We have fixed the television since your departure. We are sorry for the lack of contact. We ask that you reach out to us again to discuss this matter further over the phone or in person.
Malden, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I made an online reservation and identified my Living Social Voucher at that time. At check in on Friday at 4pm I was told that the manager had to OK the voucher and he had gone home and would not be back until Monday. I was also told that vouchers were never good on the weekend even though I paid extra for a 'Friday and Saturday Night' voucher. No assistance was offered by Front Desk staff except "you can try emailing the manager".

I emailed the manager and emailed the voucher to him immediately. I received a reply saying vouchers were not honored for weekends. Clearly he never looked at the voucher and did not carefully read my email, which said I had a voucher for a '2 Night Weekend Stay with a Bottle of Wine'.

To top it off in order to communicate with the manager I needed internet service. I then found out that the 'Wi Fi' listed on the website costs $10 per day. When I told the front desk staff that the notice in the room stated that Wi Fi was $10 for 48 hrs all they said was "oh, we'll have to fix that but we charge $10/day now".

It is difficult to understand why customer service is so poor at a seemingly nice hotel. I paid $229 for my voucher, which was only a $10 savings off of the regular rate. How hard is it to honor a voucher for $10 and an inexpensive bottle of wine? For that matter how hard is it to honor the wi fi rate written in the room? Any other hotel would recognize the value of customer satisfaction.

The manager's responses to the other reviews regarding Living Social Vouchers and 'fixing the problem so it doesn't happen again' is clearly not sincere or true.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We are truly sorry you were unable to make a reservation for the weekend of your choice, and we are sorry there was a communication breakdown. Living Social vouchers have restrictions showing that they are subject to availability and we have a limit of how many we can take per day. These vouchers are valid for any day of the week but for some reason majority of the holders would like to use them over the weekend, which happens to be very busy. We are truly sorry for your experience.

Been to Hotel Brexton? Share your experiences!