“Good place to stay for both Johns Hopkins and Inner Habor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor

Save Saved
You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 S President Street, Baltimore, MD 21202   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #28 of 69 hotels in Baltimore
Richmond, Virginia
“Good place to stay for both Johns Hopkins and Inner Habor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is our second stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner Habor, and both times we have had positive experiences. Both times we had a 9 y.o. child with us.

Pros: Hotel is very clean with modern, pleasant decor. Everything looks recently remodeled. The staff has always been helpful and pleasant. The pricing is pretty good for what you get. The included breakfast is not stellar, but pretty good. We thought is was fine. (Make-your-own waffle station, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, bagels, cereal, bananas, apples and "Jimmy Dean" breakfast sandwiches). Also, free internet connections in the room. Easy walking distance to the Inner Harbor, and a very short drive to Johns Hopkins. I believe they have a shuttle service to Johns Hopkins, but we chose to drive ourselves.

Cons: The price for parking is a bit steep. $34/day for self-park and $30/day for valet (I guess they really want to encourage you to use the valet). Also, be sure to request a room that faces the courtyard and not the street. Our first visit, we faced the courtyard and slept very well. On the second visit, we faced the road, and the traffic noise (particularly the buses) kept us up a bit, even with a "white noise" machine.

Overall, we quite like the Fairfield Inn, and will definitely stay here again on our next visit to Baltimore (but will be sure to request a room facing the courtyard).

Room Tip: We stayed in room 551 last time, and had some trouble sleeping because of the traffic noise. Be sur...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We live in GA, but chose JH for my wife's surgery in July (2012). We stayed at this hotel for about 2 weeks last summer and again for each of my wife's follow up visits. It is definitely a more "high end" than your typical Fairfield. In addition, it is within walking distance of the Inner Harbor. Finally, the staff does a great job for the JH patients and families. They go out of their way to make you feel welcome (during trying times) and provide complimentary travel vouchers (to and from JH).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ocean City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I probably would've given a "5" to this fairly new hotel in Baltimore except for a couple of things:
1. There is NO parking. Well, except for about 5 or 6 "valet" spots that you'll pay $30 a day to use. I was even told (by staff) that parking overnight on the street is not recommended because of break-ins. They got my 30 bucks with that comment.
2. The towels. Normally I could care less about the quality of hotel towels. But in this case I'm assuming that they possibly bought the inventory from a closed-down Super 8 to stock their bathrooms. Ask for extras a the front desk. You'll need at least three to dry off after one shower.
SERVICE: Front desk was OK...all business. No "...Hi! Welcome to Fairfield Inn/Baltimore". No real problem there...just get me checked-in quickly and into my room, which is what they did.
LOCATION: Location is A-plus. Walk to ALL the attractions downtown. (Break-ins seem to be the problem- not muggings.)
Finally: The room was spotlessly clean and bright. Very nice rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had one free Marriott night to use before Jan. We choose the Fairfield Inn based on previous reviews. We were not disappointed. We only stayed one night so we did not experience everything the hotel had to offer but I would stay again. It was a short walk to the Inner Harbor and bearable even in the cold weather. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. I also like that it's LEEDs certified. I would love to visit in the warmer months to experience the outdoor seating. My only negative comments are that my bed was too soft and the shower had very low pressure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Makati, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Hotel location is good. We just walked from the hotel to Inner Harbor and Top of the World Observation Level. The place is also good and clean. Our room is clean. Space is not large enough but there's a tiny living area (sofa, tv, ref). I was surprised (in a good way) about the toiletries because they were known brands and not some generic crappy hotel products.

We also ate at Tavern101 at the ground floor. Their crab cakes are really good. All meat and no starchy fillers.

Overall, I am happy with the hotel. Until I lost my backpack. I know valuables are the responsibility of the owner, but I was disappointed by how easily a bag can get lost/stolen in the hotel's shared spaces. I just laid down my bag on the floor while our group was getting coffee near the breakfast area. It was in the evening and there was just my group and a couple of guests going to the elevator. When I got to our room and realized my bag is missing, I immediately ran and took the elevator (room is on 2nd floor) and searched for it. It was no longer there. All happening in less than an hour!. Front Desk asked the staff if they found a bag, and that's it. She didn't ask for my name, my room, how my bag looked like. I had to go back and ask Front Desk if there's any way we can review the video monitor in that area. I was only told there's none in that hall and I had to wait for the manager, who has the only access to the video logs, in the morning, at 11AM!

I spoke with the next shift at the Front Desk in the morning and she was more helpful. She took down my name and contact number and a description of the backpack, and contacted the Lost & Found staff. Way better response than the one at the Front Desk the night before! The other staff I spoke with (incl. the lost & found guy) reacted like it's a lost case. No initiative, no effort.

Thankfully, my backpack did not have passports and important documents and valuables. It was my baby's diaper bag, and her essential feeding stuff were there. :(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ellen M, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry for the inconvenience that you experienced regarding your backpack. I have forwarded the information onto all of the appropriate managers so that they may educate their teams on how to better handle a situation such as this.

I do appreciate the kudos you mentioned regarding our restaurant, our location and the guest rooms. I'm so sorry that your entire stay was not to your satisfaction. If there is anything I can do to make things right, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

I look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Yours in Hospitality,
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

First off, this hotel is beautiful; it's new, clean, almost "swanky". It's located in a perfect spot, where you can get ANYWHERE in no time. I have no complaints about the building, or the location.

I have a SERIOUS issue with the staff, however. I think a flock of geese could run a hotel better, and would probably be more polite.

Upon check in, the woman at the front swiped my card (as always) and everything was fine. I checked online to see what the hold was; Room charges +$100 in incidentals. ($100 is a little steep, but whatever) The next day, over 24 hours later, I get a call from the front desk attendant, who wasnt exactly familiar enough with english to effectively communicate her issue. She kept saying they needed my card for authorization.

I told her she must be wrong, I did that the day before, at check-in. The next few things she said were unintelligable, so I talked to the manager. He couldn't seem to plausably explain to me why I was seeing a hold on my bank and they didn't see one, but he politely said "Don't worry about it, I'll figure it out."

The NEXT morning at 730am, my room phone rings. It's another manager, politely asking for my card. I snapped.
I logged in to my bank account and to my utter SHOCK they were holding WELL over twice the room charge, effectively draining my bank account, and they wanted MORE.

After I showed the manager my bank account, and had her call my bank, she still kept trying to SOMEHOW make it MY fault that THEY made a mistake. Her attutude that developed was disheartening.

I understand that their computer made an error. I also understand that they FINALLY saw that it was an error on their behalf, but I still can't understand why no one could be bothered to say "Sorry."

As nice as this hotel is, and as much of an ABSOLUTE steal it is for the area, I won't retun because of how rude and disorganised the staff is.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback. I want to express my deepest regret regarding the inconvenience and poor customer service that you received while you were here. I have shared your comments with our General Manager and I can assure you that these specific challanges are being addressed to ensure that no other guest has a similar experience.

If there is anything I can do to be of further service, please do not hesitate to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you!

Yours in Hospitality,
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Conveniently located to Inner Harbor, Camden Yards, Aquarium, Walters Museum etc. this "converted" property is nicely appointed & very comfortable. A nice alternative to its higher priced neighbors. Complementary continental breakfast & free in room wifi are 2 reasons in and of themselves to stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future!

Happy Holidays,
ellen.mullings@fairfieldinnbaltimore.com

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor? Share your experiences!