“Good Location & Terrific Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor

You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 S President Street, Baltimore, MD 21202   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #25 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good Location & Terrific Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had one free Marriott night to use before Jan. We choose the Fairfield Inn based on previous reviews. We were not disappointed. We only stayed one night so we did not experience everything the hotel had to offer but I would stay again. It was a short walk to the Inner Harbor and bearable even in the cold weather. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. I also like that it's LEEDs certified. I would love to visit in the warmer months to experience the outdoor seating. My only negative comments are that my bed was too soft and the shower had very low pressure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Makati, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Hotel location is good. We just walked from the hotel to Inner Harbor and Top of the World Observation Level. The place is also good and clean. Our room is clean. Space is not large enough but there's a tiny living area (sofa, tv, ref). I was surprised (in a good way) about the toiletries because they were known brands and not some generic crappy hotel products.

We also ate at Tavern101 at the ground floor. Their crab cakes are really good. All meat and no starchy fillers.

Overall, I am happy with the hotel. Until I lost my backpack. I know valuables are the responsibility of the owner, but I was disappointed by how easily a bag can get lost/stolen in the hotel's shared spaces. I just laid down my bag on the floor while our group was getting coffee near the breakfast area. It was in the evening and there was just my group and a couple of guests going to the elevator. When I got to our room and realized my bag is missing, I immediately ran and took the elevator (room is on 2nd floor) and searched for it. It was no longer there. All happening in less than an hour!. Front Desk asked the staff if they found a bag, and that's it. She didn't ask for my name, my room, how my bag looked like. I had to go back and ask Front Desk if there's any way we can review the video monitor in that area. I was only told there's none in that hall and I had to wait for the manager, who has the only access to the video logs, in the morning, at 11AM!

I spoke with the next shift at the Front Desk in the morning and she was more helpful. She took down my name and contact number and a description of the backpack, and contacted the Lost & Found staff. Way better response than the one at the Front Desk the night before! The other staff I spoke with (incl. the lost & found guy) reacted like it's a lost case. No initiative, no effort.

Thankfully, my backpack did not have passports and important documents and valuables. It was my baby's diaper bag, and her essential feeding stuff were there. :(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ellen M, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry for the inconvenience that you experienced regarding your backpack. I have forwarded the information onto all of the appropriate managers so that they may educate their teams on how to better handle a situation such as this.

I do appreciate the kudos you mentioned regarding our restaurant, our location and the guest rooms. I'm so sorry that your entire stay was not to your satisfaction. If there is anything I can do to make things right, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

I look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

First off, this hotel is beautiful; it's new, clean, almost "swanky". It's located in a perfect spot, where you can get ANYWHERE in no time. I have no complaints about the building, or the location.

I have a SERIOUS issue with the staff, however. I think a flock of geese could run a hotel better, and would probably be more polite.

Upon check in, the woman at the front swiped my card (as always) and everything was fine. I checked online to see what the hold was; Room charges +$100 in incidentals. ($100 is a little steep, but whatever) The next day, over 24 hours later, I get a call from the front desk attendant, who wasnt exactly familiar enough with english to effectively communicate her issue. She kept saying they needed my card for authorization.

I told her she must be wrong, I did that the day before, at check-in. The next few things she said were unintelligable, so I talked to the manager. He couldn't seem to plausably explain to me why I was seeing a hold on my bank and they didn't see one, but he politely said "Don't worry about it, I'll figure it out."

The NEXT morning at 730am, my room phone rings. It's another manager, politely asking for my card. I snapped.
I logged in to my bank account and to my utter SHOCK they were holding WELL over twice the room charge, effectively draining my bank account, and they wanted MORE.

After I showed the manager my bank account, and had her call my bank, she still kept trying to SOMEHOW make it MY fault that THEY made a mistake. Her attutude that developed was disheartening.

I understand that their computer made an error. I also understand that they FINALLY saw that it was an error on their behalf, but I still can't understand why no one could be bothered to say "Sorry."

As nice as this hotel is, and as much of an ABSOLUTE steal it is for the area, I won't retun because of how rude and disorganised the staff is.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback. I want to express my deepest regret regarding the inconvenience and poor customer service that you received while you were here. I have shared your comments with our General Manager and I can assure you that these specific challanges are being addressed to ensure that no other guest has a similar experience.

If there is anything I can do to be of further service, please do not hesitate to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you!

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Conveniently located to Inner Harbor, Camden Yards, Aquarium, Walters Museum etc. this "converted" property is nicely appointed & very comfortable. A nice alternative to its higher priced neighbors. Complementary continental breakfast & free in room wifi are 2 reasons in and of themselves to stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future!

Happy Holidays,
erie, pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I had a wedding to attend in Baltimore and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. This is a really great place for the price. Close to shopping and sight seeing. The staff was excellent..Not only were they friendly but they were there to help or answer questions. Some of the staff were so much fun especiall the staff in the bar, from the bartenders to the cooks in the kitchen. Food was good, hot and we got our meal quickly. The rooms were small but not any smaller than other hotels I have stayed at. The price to park your car there was a little steep.
. The only complaint I had was that the bathroom was not cleaned very good the first night we stayed. The beds were very comfortable, I slept like a baby. Again the staff were great and all deserve a raise..... I would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of staying there

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. I will share your comments with the team here at the Fairfield.

We look forward to your future stays with us!

Island Heights, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The previous reviewer hit the nail on the head when he/she said something is just a little bit "off" with this hotel.

The hotel is a perfectly fine place to stay for a short visit, but the rooms are QUITE small, and we had a problem with humidity in ours during our stay. The air in the room seemed mysteriously humid, and we couldn't figure it out. Bedding/bathrooms were clean, and that is a plus.

There is a really nice courtyard area with "turf", and complimentary tea and coffee in the lobby. However, at one point, the hot water and coffee were empty. My mom's polite request for them to be refilled was met with a less than eager response from a staffer.

The area around the hotel is safe enough, but we were told not to leave our vehicle parked on the street overnight under any circumstances. Apparently your odds of meeting your vehicle with intact windows the next morning are slim.

Elevators were extremely slow like the previous reviewer said, but we did not experience slow valet service even though the front desk warned us to call 40 minutes ahead for our car ?? not usually a good sign - we did OK though.

Hotel restaurant isn't bad but, but like the elevators, is extremely slow service.

All in all, not a bad place to stay if you are looking more for function than luxury. Tip: The rooms facing the courtyard are quiet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

There are other Marriotts in the same neighborhood that are better for the same price range.

Nothing was wrong with the hotel, just the little things seemed off. The king room was small. The elevators were very very very slow (and there are two "towers" so if traveling with family or friends you may need two rides to get to another couple's room). If you prefer stairs, sorry, one of the tower's stairs are emergency exit only...

The service was fine, but we were there for a wedding and the bar closed before 1 am. The valet was also a bit tricky. Your only parking option is valet, and the price was comparable to what you would pay anywhere downtown (except that $3 lot on Caroline). However, the driveway for the valet was tiny and crowded and the valet was painfully slow at times (we were in and out a lot due to the wedding and waited 20+ minutes on more than one occasion). Lastly, the rainfall shower head did not have water pressure sufficient for the rinsing of soap.

Also, and it seemed to be just our room, so it may not be indicative of the hotel as a whole, but the room smelled very musty.

Again, not terrible, the hotel was clean and the service was fine. Did I feel like I was on vacation or living in luxury...no. Was it usable...yes. Would I stay there again...probably not with all of the other options nearby.

Room Tip: Get a two bed room, the room's are bigger!