“Luxury Hotel near Inner Harbor” 5 of 5 stars

Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #5 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chappaqua, NY
“Luxury Hotel near Inner Harbor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Luxury hotel steps from the Inner Harbor in renovated Beaux Arts building. First class all the way. We stayed in the Mediterranean suite which was large had 10 ft ceilings and beautifully done. The bathroom had a 2 person Jacuzzi and a stall shower. The walls were covered with leather and marble. We were traveling with our dog and needed to drop her off at the hotel before a tour of Johns Hopkins. Our room wasn't ready, so the office staff watched my dog in the office for me and really treated her well. This is just a lovely property. Will definitely return when in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Joe P, General Manager at Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Chappaqua3:

Thank you for the five star review.
It was great to hear you enjoyed your stay and out team took great care of you.
I actually had the pleasure of meeting your pup while you were with us.
We hope you join us again soon.

Joe Pagone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Not only is this hotel right in the center of everything- very close to the Inner Harbor- but the building itself was lovely! The Kimpton hotel staff are always friendly and the rooms are consistently luxurious! It's quite astonishing that one can stay in such a lovely place at such a reasonable price. You can't go wrong with Kimpton!

Room Tip: The corner room was lovely!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe P, General Manager at Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear TintageI69:

You really cannot go wrong with Kimpton!
Thank you for the five star review. Our team will love to read this one.
We hope you join us again soon.

Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Hotel Monaco while attending a week-long workshop there, and I had an excellent stay. The building itself is historical and beautiful, but the rooms are modern, really nice, and spotlessly clean. The bed was also very comfortable. A nice perk was the free evening wine reception each night. I didn't wander the neighborhood too much, but it was an easy walk (~10 mins) down to the harbor which has countless dinner options. I really enjoyed my stay here, and if I return to this area of Baltimore for business or personal travel, I will absolutely be looking to stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Dunlin57:

Great to hear you had an awesome stay and enjoyed our historic building.
We really took our time to ensure we restored and highligted all the beatiful history of the building. Our location is great to get out and enjoy the city but with a complimentary wine reception and B&O American Brasserie there is really no reason to leave.

Vineland, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My family and I stay at Hotel Monaco from July 2-5, 2013. We stayed in a suite. The room was so beautiful and the bathroom is huge. The staff at the hotel were so nice and very helpful. When we asked for a coffee maker they brought it right up. My children did not want to leave. Also the bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear ladywalker856:

Thank you for the five star review.
Great to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay.
Come back again soon.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We found this hotel on Tripadvisor after planning a bike ride trip into Baltimore. The hotel was great in every way. We arrived at 2pm on our bicycles and were met by David who greeted us and took us into the Hotel for an early check-in (normal is 3pm). At check-in we said the secret password from the Hotel's website and received a room upgrade. My wife mentioned that we were celebrating our anniversary at the hotel. About an hour after we checked into our gorgeous room, room served delivered a complimentary bottle of wine. This had never happened to us before. At 5pm the hotel started it's wine tasting hour. It was much more than a wine tasting. It was essentially all the wine you could drink in an hour! And the wine was good! The Monaco Hotel is in a very old building (1906) but it was just opened as a hotel in 2009. Before that it served as an office building. Most of the great old architectural features were preserved including the elevator lobbies and the main marble stairwell and atrium. The rooms have 12 foot ceilings and 9 foot high windows. This place was such a treat we are already planning a reason to go again. I should also mention that this hotel is walking distance from the Baltimore Inner Harbor and Camden Yards where we went to an Orioles game.

Green Features: Hotel employs al the latest energy saving technology in the rooms.
Dear Bob2os:

We think you are awesome as well!
I will give you a few good reasons to return immediately.
1. Our wine reception is always changing, come enjoy some great sangria and appetizers from our restuarant B&O American Brasserie.
2. We have more secret passwords, yes they go all summer long.
3. Crabs are becoming abundant and no better way to enjoy Baltimore than cracking some crabs.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Go O's

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

It is with mixed emotions that I submit such a poor rating for the Hotel Monaco in Baltimore, it is a nicely decorated and clean hotel but I feel that their customer service and follow-thru could have been much better. I am not much of a complainer unless something outrageous and inexcusable happens, like it did in my recent experience here.

We chose to stay at the Hotel Monaco for a weekend festival in Baltimore because of the good reviews and unique look. First, we had to decide where to park. Use the hotel's valet for $36/night or find our own for less money. After seeing a very long line for their valet service we decided to find self-parking ourselves instead. Luckily, we found a nearby parking garage on St. Paul street for $8/night.

After a brief walk back to the hotel we were instructed to take the elevator to the 2nd floor main lobby for guest services and check-in. This is weird considering that most hotels point of entry are near the check-in counter. However, we were NOT told that only one side of the elevator bank services the hotel guest. After entering the elevator and pushing the lobby button a few times to no avail we decided to use the other elevators across the hall and up we went.

Once we arrived at the check-in counter at 4pm, we were told that our hotel room was still being cleaned and they would call me once it was available in 30-45minutes. This was annoying considering we just finished a long drive and wanted to relax and freshen up before heading out, but we agreed. We were instructed to leave our bags at the front desk and they would take them up once the room was available. We decided to walk to the harbor for a bite to eat until our room was available. After spending a couple hours at the harbor; there still was no call from Hotel Monaco. After calling the front desk at 6:30p regarding the status of our room, I was told it was still not avaialble and they were not able to give me an estimated time of completion, although they gave me one upon my arrival. The receptionist informed me to speak with the Manager upon my return to the hotel to discuss the situation further.

After spending two more hours at the harbor we returned to the hotel at 8pm pissed off. The manager was very nice and informed me that the room was now available, but I was still annoyed because we did NOT receive a courtesy call about our room. I felt that the hotel was very reactive to the situation instead of proactively trying to find a solution and keep me abreast of the situation. The manager then gave me the keys and retrieved our bags, even though we were told the bags would be taken up. I then inquired as why it took so long to clean our rooms and how we were going to be accomodated for the delay (5hours from the time of check-in). The manager explained in detail about a large wedding party checking out late; he offered me and the guest free breakfast at the restaurant, and a bottle of wine--which would be delivered later that night, and to pay the expense of our parking fee since we did not use their valet service.

After we left the front desk, we entered the elevator, but again, they failed to inform us something --the higher level floors are only accessible by using the keys. I've been in hotels with similar set-ups but we were at least told how to access the upper levels, instead of figuring it out by trial and error.

We had a spaciaous room with 2-queen beds; it was clean and the decor was excellent..one of the best hotel rooms I've been inside. We freshened up and headed out to further explore the Harbor. Once we returned late evening/early morning we noticed that the bottle of wine was neve delivered. This was rather concerning considering all that was promised by the manager earlier.

We went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast in the morning and it was great. The food was delicious, the service was excellent and fast. Zada, our waitress, was very personable and attentive to our needs. Once the bill came we charged it to the room as instructed. But given how bad everything has been since the start of our stay we were skeptical if it would be waived like the manager stated.

I went to check-out after breakfast, suprisingly, the breakfast bill was waived, but I did have to inform the front desk staff that I never received the bottle of wine as promised. The receptionist was very polite and apologetic and went right in the back to retrieve a cold bottle for me.

Again, if it wasn't for the bad experience with the check-in and follow-thru, I would have given them a much higher rating. Although the staff was very friendly, the front desk staff/manager could have been more proactive in reaching out to me about the room delay versus me having to call every hour. They did their best to off-set my troubles but it definitely put a damper on our first night since we didn't have immediate access to a room to relax on such a hot day.

Again, the rooms were nicely decorated, the beds were really comfortable, and the grand marble staircase is amazing; although troublesome to walk up or down. I would come back but I hope for a better experience, in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear lowered_expectations:

I was sorry to hear your experience at check in was not appopriately handled.
As you can see from our other reviews that this is not the level of service we provide.
Please know we have investigated this issues and adressed it appropriately.
We do hope you return so we can show you what a great hotel we have.

Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was our third stay and it never disappoints. The lobby is fabulous. The lounge area wine reception each evening is very cool and elegant. The staff is really pleasant and helpful. The rooms we have stayed in have all been really comfortable with large windows. And the bar serves the most innovative cocktails.

Dear louise_craigen:

Aww we love you right back!
It was great to read that our team took care of you, the room was faboulous and you enjoyed our wine reception. Our team will be super excited to read your review.
We hope to see you again very soon!

Joe Pagone

Been to Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!