“Wonderful hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
state college, pa
“Wonderful hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed at the Monaco for New Year's Eve and the night of the 1st. We had a corner room on the 7th floor, which was wonderful. High ceilings, spacious, great linens, clean, and a GREAT bathroom. It was my birthday, and they sent a bottle of wine for us to celebrate with, "just because...". That level of service/attention to detail is special, and just not seen at many other hotel chains.
That being said, the restaurant was a bit of a disappointment. We had a larger party for breakfast(7). Our server was the bartender and she was prompt. However, our food took exceptionally long to arrive. And some meals were delivered 15 minutes after the first plate was delivered. Some of the meals were no longer hot. Puzzling, because the restaurant was not that busy. Lots of open tables. Complaints were met with 20% off our bill.
The gym has been moved due to remodeling. Not as nice or spacious as it used to be. Perhaps it will be moved back once the remodel is completed.

Room Tip: Corner room is excellent
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe P, General Manager at Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Corlyn:

Thank you for celebrating the New Year and a birthday with us.
Great to hear you enjoyed the hotel and our team took great care of you.
I will be sure to share your feedback. Good news, the fitness center remodel is complete and came out great we also added a 3500 sqaure foot balroom which is stunning.

We hope to see you again soon.

Joe Pagone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here in early Mach while attending a conference in Baltimore. Beautiful clean room with an elegant bathroom. Two concerns: First, confusing check-in. It is located on the second floor and there is no sign indicating this. Took me a while to figure this out. Secondly, I agree with other reviewers that it feels more like an apartment complex than a hotel. I personally prefer the hotel feel when I travel. Good clean elegant hotel...just not my personal preference.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear amy52787:

Great to hear your room was beautiful elegant and clean.
I do hope the fact that you enjoyed your room would encourage you to return.
Thank you for the feedback and we hope to see you soon.

Upper Marlboro, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

If you're ever in Baltimore & you need a place to stay, look no further. You will not be disappointed. The room was amazing! A lot of natural light from the very large windows, and an elegant marble bathroom with a deep jacuzzi tub that's big enough for 4. I had a wonderful birthday weekend, & this hotel played a very important role. Saturday evening, I received balloons, a bottle of champagne, & two cupcakes for me & my husband to share. Thanks again, Christina, for making my birthday a very memorable one.... I will definitely be back to visit!

Room Tip: Rooms on a higher floor have less street noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear nmbelton:

Thanks for celebrating with us!
Great to hear Christina and the rest of our team treated you like royalty.
Don't wait till your next celebration to hang out with us, summer is coming (at least that is what I have been told) come stay with us for the weekend and enjoy all Baltimore has to offer.

Keedysville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Quick overnight stay recently. The hotel is quite fancy yet we were treated like royalty. Hotel was busy with 2 weddings going on but we had no problem with noise or getting into restaurant. Will be back again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear lager108:

Thank you for staying with us.
Our staff love treating our guests like royalty.
We hope to see you again soon.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in Kimpton hotels in SF, Seattle, Chicago etc. and it's usually a wonderful experience...however, after arriving just after 3pm and checking in here in Baltimore, I was told that our rooms weren't ready. An hour and a half later we're still cooling our heels, waiting.

The line to check in has been 20 deep from the moment we got here and it seems that there's only one person to handle it all. (We went to wait in the restaurant downstairs and it was 20 minutes before anyone spoke to us!)

Needless to say, after a full day of traveling, this is not a happy experience.

Stayed March 2013
Dear ww54:

Thank you for your feedback.
I am very sorry for the wait. I do know that our restaurant manager and front office manager reached out to make you comfortable and get you a room as soon as they could. I do hope you give us another opportunity to show you what a great hotel we have.

Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We live in Baltimore and booked this hotel as an in-town get away because we got a great rate. Thrilled that we did. The Monaco was fabulous. The overall building is impressive. Historically significant and decorated very nicely. The ammeneties and staff are top notch. At check in I forgot to print a paper I needed and the person who checked me in llowed me to use the business center free of charge to print the paper (normally $8 for 15 min. which si quite expensive). Our toddler was a last minute addition to our stay and I emailed ahead to let the hotel know. They already had a pack n play in our room waiting for us. They also sent a goldfish up to our room (I reqquested one knowing it was a Kimpton option) and my daughter thought it was the coolest. And they gave her a Disney Princess coloring activity to do.

We had a King Premiere room that was large, comfortable and CLEAN. Like, one of the cleanest rooms I have ever stayed in. The two person Fuji soaking tub was a luxury for sure. There were cute animal print robes in the closet. And we received a $10 minibar credit at check in which was a very nice touch. They also have a happy hour wine reception from 5-6 in the area they call the "living room."

We received two continental breakfast coupons with our package and the check in host gave us a third for our daughter, another wonderful touch. We had dinner with friends at the restaurant that night and had a wonderful meal. The food was really good, and I was comfortable having our toddler there. She was really well-behaved, but it was also a place you could take kids in general if anyone was wondering. Everything we had was good, especially the crab mac n cheese and the Flounder entree (amazing). Our waitress was great. The continental breakfast consist of your choice of a house made pastry, scone, muffin or croissant, coffee or tea, choice of juice and fresh fruit or the yogurt and granola or oatmeal from the menu. We chose a couple of options from the continental offering and an eggs benedict to split. All was excellent. Sometimes it's fun to be tourists in your own town and the Monaco made for a wonderful getaway. I have already looked at rooms for when my family will be in town this summer. You really can't go wrong with the service, ammenities and accommodations. All are top notch.

Room Tip: We were in room 1209 and it was quiet, and had an ok view of the city. Baltimore isnt a very scenic...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear RLP144:

Nothing like a good staycation, thanks for spending it with us.
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and could enjoy all of our amenities.
Who does not love a wine reception, ten bucks to the honor bar, a great restaurant and beautiful room. Come see us again soon!

Agawam, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed in room number 803 on March 9, 2013. Upon arriving we were very impressed by the physical attractiveness of the property. Marble stairs, high ceilings, crown molding, and beautiful decor and furniture. I almost expected to see Cary Grant walking through the lobby. It was that classy. The people we interacted with were friendly and accommodating. The room (803) had a tall ceiling, nice furniture, and nice large screen TV, and a bathroom that was beautifully tiled, although using a shower with no door and a small splash shield that allowed water to splash onto the tiled floor was a little unusual. It needs a door, or a much larger shield.

The bed was a whole other matter. The mattress was overly soft, very, very lumpy and the edges had almost no support whatsoever. I almost rolled out of bed twice during the night because of no edge support. It belonged in the dump, not in a hotel like this. If we had a nice firm mattress with edge support, we would have given the hotel five stars.

Room Tip: We used Price Line to get a very good rate compared to paying full price. If you use a similar mecha...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Frank A:

Thank you for staying with us.
Great to hear you love the hotel and our team took great care of you.
We will be sure to check that matress and adress appropriately. We are know for our lovely plush beds and if this room does not have that we will change it immediately.
We hope you come back soon so you can enjoy our great property once again.
Contact me on your next stay so I can hire a Cary Grant look alike to travel through the lobby for you.

Joe Pagone

Been to Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!