“Wow!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
East Windsor, New Jersey
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We receive an online offer from TravelZoo for $99 a room and grabbed 2 rooms for a cheap getaway. We didn't have any expectations coming into this place, other than the fact that it was going to house us overnight.

We were all blown away by the beauty of this hotel - very, very nicely done lobby with marble everywhere, the rooms were spacious and well decorated, the bed was comfortable and the pillows were so soft, I did not want to get out of bed!

The staff were all top notch - friendly, attentive and quick to action. We called down to the lobby to ask for the address of a restaurant we had reservations for. The girl printed out a map with the address and phone number, and had it ready for us in an envelope when we came down to the lobby. I had a problem with my card key - could not get in our room after breakfast - and they sent up an engineer right away to get us back in (we had the card rescanned and switched, but that did not work). Turns out the battery for the door was running out of steam and would not read the card.

We had our breakfast at the restaurant and everyone was very happy. Again, nice decor in the restaurant, very attentive servers and some good food.

I will definitely choose this hotel the next time we are in the area!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe P, General Manager at Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Bill_From_Jersey:

Love to hear we blew you away.
Our team will definetly appreciate all of your great comments.
We hope you join us again soon.

Joe Pagone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Winchester, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Only our second stay in Kimpton hotels but I have to say that I really, really like them. They update old landmarks in cities and give them this hip, trendy vibe but it remains timeless and elegant at the same time. Nice wine reception with hors d'oeuvres in the (upstairs) lobby in each hotel. Also stayed at the Palomar in DC--very nice. Join the free in-touch club for amenities and upgrades.

Dear Elizabeth Q:

Thank you for staying with us.
I love to hear when guests have an opportunity to enjoy wine hour.
The wine hour realy gives guests a chance to meet some fellow travelers and enjoy some great food and wine. We hope to see you soon.

Washington, D.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I am a big fan of the Kimpton chain, so when I and several colleagues needed to go on a business trip to Baltimore recently I suggested the Monaco,and everyone agreed. After our experience there, I don't think my colleagues will accept my hotel suggestions again any time soon. Although the hotel is beautiful and well located, we were repeatedly disappointed with the poor level of service and maintenance. This is a bit of a mystery, because nearly all the staff we encountered were enthusiastic and cheerful -- but again and again they were unable to respond to our requests in a timely and accurate manner. My guess is that they are simply understaffed; perhaps there is also a training issue. Whatever the reason, the quality of service fell well below the level I have come to expect from Kimpton.
The building itself is gorgeous, an historic office building with an impressive marble staircase and stained glass. The rooms vary considerably in size, with the corner suites being quite spacious. Many rooms come with enormous whirlpool tubs. The decor is typical Kimpton cool.
However, when they converted the historic office building into a hotel, they don't seem to have devoted much effort to soundproofing the windows. As a result, there is considerable street noise audible in the rooms, and the (disturbingly frequent) wail of sirens at night can clearly be heard. Adding to the cacophony is the loudest heating unit I have heard in a lifetime of hotel travel cycling on and off throughout the night. It did not make for a tranquil sleeping environment.
A few examples of the service issues: check in was slow, and the room was not ready when promised. The first room I was given had maintenance issues that required me to change rooms. The new room they gave me was much smaller than the one I had reserved, but they said they would move me to another room of the type I had reserved after the next night (which ultimately they did). The new room had further maintenance issues (lock refused to stay locked) which it took them three separate attempts to fix. Room service was tasty when it arrived, but sometimes was substantially delayed, and once was forgotten completely. A colleague received an early morning wake up call that she did not request. Another reported that her TV did not work and it wasn't fixed. Another wasn't told that a package had arrived at the front desk. And so on. The only departments that worked smoothly were housekeeping and bell staff.
As a result of our experiences I could not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear AdaminDC:

Thank you for your detailed review and your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels.
I am sorry to read about your stay and would love to discuss it further with you to discuss an apologize. Below is my contact number please contact me at your earliest convenience.

443-692-6761
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The rooms were very spacious, the furniture unique, the bed a king and very comfortable and the bathroom all marble and very large. Only two blocks away from the convention center and the restaurant, B&O Brassier, located on the first floor. The lobby offered free coffee and tea in the mornings and wine tastings in the evening. Staff was helpful and easy to talk to. Go on-line and join the rewards program and they instantly provide free Wi-Fi. Overall, very nice and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Wdesalvo:

Thanks for your great review!
I love when guests get to enjoy all we have to offer and sounds like you did.
B&O American Brasserie our fantastic restaurant, wine and coffee receptions, sounds like a perfect KImpton stay to me. Come see us again soon.

Manassas, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had a very nice stay at the Hotel Monaco Baltimore. We used a "Capitol Deal" and thus got a great rate which included free continental breakfast. I highly recommend joining the hotel's InTouch loyalty program (which is free) as it gets you free wireless internet and at least $10 in credit towards the minibar at each stay. There's nothing like getting free stuff! Our room was quite nice, one of the King Premier Spa rooms with the very nice double person, jetted tub. We arrived very early in the day and our room was not ready yet, which was not a suprise given how early we had arrived. They stored our bags for us and called our cell phone when the room was ready - which was pretty much at the time that they told us it would be ready. All of the front desk staff were very nice and accommodating.
We did not use the valet parking. Based on other reviews, we decided that valet parking was a waste of money and we were glad that we made the decision to self-park. There is a nice garage immediately around the corner from the hotel entrance - I believe it's called "Edison Park Fast". It was only $20 for 24 hours. The garage entrances are secure and are accessed using your parking ticket stub. Much cheaper, and in our opinion faster/easier, than using the valet.
The free wine in the late afternoon in the lobby is a nice touch. When I mentioned to the front desk attendant that neither of us drinks wine, he gave us vouchers for 4 complimentary drinks at the hotel bar. This was fantastic! The bar was a nice setting, not crowded. The bartender, Jessie, went out of his way to make us comfortable and he was just terrific.

All in all, it was a very nice experience and we had a great time.

Room Tip: The spa tub in the King Premier Spa room is very nice - large and deep, plenty of hot water.
Dear Kim E:

Very nice of you to take time to share your experience with the TA community.
Glad you enjoyed. Dont be a stranger.

Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I chose the Monaco Kimpton for an overnight retreat with my significant other. Didn't realize the hotel shared the building with an office,but I liked it. Real city feeling. What I encountered next were the surprises. The most friendly staff. From someone coming on duty that guided us all the way to receptionist, to the person who checked us in, to all the staff we bumped into as we went in and out the hotel. So refreshing and so noticeable. Top notch customer service. As for the room, loved it. The appointments were different and made the room exciting. The decor was let me say adventurous. The bed side tables were fashioned to be old luggage trunks. The lamp was fashion from a tripod. Everything was so nice; the bed comfortable, fashionable robes, and socks; modern bathroom; well stocked mini bar and snacks. I could go on and on but you have to try for yourself. In addition to the room and customer service, the hotel offered a wine hour ; unfortunately I missed, but I did make the morning coffee. Real hot chocolate was offered with all the trimmings - marshmallows, chocolate chips and whip cream. Yummy

I will return. Try it yourself. You too will be surprised. .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe P, General Manager at Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear LovetoRoam527:

We love to surprise and delight.
You will have to come back soon so we can surprise and delight you with our wine hour that you did not get a chance to attend. Great to hear our team took such great care of you. I will be sure to share this feedback with them.

Charlottesville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Monaco is a beautiful old hotel in a great building with a cool lobby with historic marble stairs - very impressive when you first walk in. The rooms themselves are very nice, clean and upscale, with very comfortable beds.

My main concern staying at the hotel was that it's pet friendly, meaning people can bring their pets to stay with them in the rooms, and I have bad pet allergies. However this was NOT a problem for me at all. The hotel was great - when I made the reservation I told them about my allergies and they said they would make sure I was in a room that hadn't had a pet in it for awhile and had been thoroughly cleaned, and true to their word, my allergies were not an issue at all. The Monaco did a great job of providing me with an allergy-free room.

My only reservation about the room was that the bathroom door was a sliding door which didn't completely close, always leaving a small gap around the edges of the door between the bathroom and the rest of the hotel room, and so it might not provide as much privacy as some people might like.

The Monaco also has a few nice perks. At 5 pm every night they offer free wine in the lobby for happy hour, and even put out some nice snacks. If you join their guest program, you also get free wifi in the rooms and ten bucks off the mini bar!

One of the best reasons to stay here is the location. Just a few blocks from the Inner Harbor. I walked down every day in under 10 minutes. It's also an easy walk to Camden Yards, too. I did that in just over 10 minutes. So basically you have tons of stuff to do in terms of restaurants and bars and shopping within walking distance. I also had taken the train into town to Penn Station, which was conveniently located less than a mile up the road on the same street at the hotel - on North Charles St. It's real easy to get back and forth by cab or public transportation. I actually walked it in about 25 minutes with my luggage.

Also the staff at the hotel was terrific, from the folks at the front desk to the guys downstairs at the front door. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Yankeebaseball:

Thank you for your detailed review.
It is great to hear when guests find the time to induldge in all of our amenties.
Our location decor and service really set us apart from the rest.
We hope you come see us again very soon.

Joe Pagone

Been to Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!