“Nice Stay, Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #5 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
West Chester, PA
“Nice Stay, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed while my wife was seeing doctors at Johns Hopkins. The hotel, location and service were all excellent. While it wasn't within walking distance of the hospital, we had no trouble accessing our car from valet parking. It was a very short walk to the Inner Harbor attractions.

The room was great and well worth what we paid. The furnishings were elegant enough that my wife made some interior decorating notes. As with many Klimpton properties, this is a very nice rehab of an historic building, in this case, the former B&O Railroad headquarters. The staircase between the first floor and the mezzanine lobby is impressive (though the stairs were a bit long to climb -- take the elevator). At the top of the stairs, a welcoming happy hour was a nice touch.

What puts a topper on the story is -- as usual -- a mishap on my part. I left behind my iPad charger, plugged into the wall. When contacted, the hotel manager went out of his way to retrieve this little overpriced item and ship it to me. Thanks, Joe!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Joe P, General Manager at Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear camerajim:

Thank you for sharing your experience. I beleive we spoke on the phone as well.
Was glad to hear you enjoyed everything. If I can ever be of assistance in the future please let me know.

Joe Pagone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times for business. It is a great location for anywhere in Baltimore (and I am often driving into DC from here too). The rooms are huge, and the amenities are top notch (if only I could have one of their beds in my own home). The times I have stayed there it has been really good value since worse Kimpton hotels in other cities are much more expensive. The staff at the check-in are great. The downstairs lobby is a bit weird because its not refurbished, but everything else is very trendy and stylish.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear frankviz81:

Thank you for your sharing your experience with the trip advisor community. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. In regards to our beds...you can own one by going to kimptonstyle.com. We hope to see you again very soon.

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We came to this Kimpton for my husband to receive treatment from John Hopkins. We left early AM and when we returned at 2 pm they still had not cleaned our room. We stopped by the front desk and asked them to clean it while we went to lunch we returned about 3:30 and it still was not clean. After my husband went back to bed and fell asleep the maid showed up at 4:30 much too late. Not what I expect from Kimpton - to not have it clean after asking was a bit over the top. We are Inner Circle and are supposed to receive special care. Not too happy with this property. The restaurant isn't very good either.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kimberly M:

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry your room was not serviced when you requested it to be. We strive to ensure all of our guests have an amazing experience and I am embaressed that you did not feel well taken care of. We really appreciate that you use Kimpton hotels so often and I want you to know we take this feedback very seriously and will use it to improve our services.

Eldersburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Great service from the staff.You will find this to be true at all of their hotels.Very clean comfortable rooms with up to date amenities.My wife and I enjoyed the bar and restuarant,again great service.

Room Tip: Mediterraan suite--GREAT CHOICE!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Joe P, General Manager at Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear michches:

Glad to hear your stay was top notch!
Don't be a stranger!

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had the unfortunate event to experience a “Fire Alarm” going off as we were arriving Thursday night from a long drive from Quantico, VA. It was Thanksgiving eve and we were planning on ordering from the special menu they had for the evening. Needless to say we were greeted w/all the guests and their pets out in the curb freezing. This event lasted for more than 1 ½ hours if not longer because the elevators could not be reset after the fire department gave them the go ahead. We have a disabled child that cannot walk and we were in the 14th floor. Not one person from the hotel came out to see if the guests were doing okay and if by chance we needed some form of comfort – hot coffee, blankets, etc…the only person giving us updates were from the security or valet which are third party personnel. It would have been nice to see the person in charge come out to speak to the guest of what was happening. This was, after all, a false alarm. After we went upstairs the Thanksgiving menu was, of course, no longer being served so we proceeded to order from the late night menu. It was more than an hour after we placed it – 12:30AM. The attendant that delivered it was gracious enough to leave it in the room and not charge for it since it took longer than normal plus my child and husband were already passed out.
Another event was that we called housekeeping to turn over/clean the room while we were gone and this did not happen. It was 10pm when we returned (a Weds I believe) and I had to turn down our own beds and dust them off so my husband and daughter can have a clean organized bed to get into. We needed towels and conditioner as well. When we called housekeeping they brought TONS of towels…but no conditioner. So they had to come back a second time…very disturbing considering it was way passed bedtime for our daughter.
These are the two events that could have damper someone else’s trip. Thankfully we like to weigh out the pros and cons. The pros were definitely present for Monaco and that’s why I decided not to rate them low based on the two events above. However, there is room for improvement. Maybe have an alternate route for disabled guests to get to their rooms if the main elevators are not functioning and a follow up phone call to the guest room to make sure all services have been met?

Room Tip: There is valet parking for $36 a night - it's an independent company. You can public park around...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Simba 9960:

Thank you for staying with us. I am very sorry that you had to endure a false alarm during your stay. Thank you for being kind enouph to weigh the pros and cons and for your candid feedback. Please know this is very helpful as it will assist us in improving our operation.

Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel was fabulous, and I mean F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S. I would love to stay here again (and take advantage of the fully stocked fridge area, unlike what I did during this recent stay...exercised lots of restraint!!). I was in town this past weekend for the wedding of the year, and from the moment I arrived, the employees were extremely pleasant and friendly (this was much appreciated). My 14th floor hotel room was very spacious, and chic. The view outside the windows were of the surrounding architecture, which due to it's exquisite nature, made up for not having a skyline view of the city. The bed was so comfortable, and I slept so well. I appreciated the iPod dock on the alarm clock, and the railroad lighting next to the closet. The only thing missing from the room was a blow-dryer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Joe P, General Manager at Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Posh Travla:

Thank you for sharing your experience!
We think you are FABULOUS and can't wait for you to return.
Our apologies you room was missing a hair dryer we typically keep them in a tan bag below the sink. I will be sure to share your feedback with our team. We hope to see you again very soon.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I could not have been more impressed by this last-minute find! We were particularly impressed by the hospitality of Christina at the front desk. She was absolutely amazing and extremely considerate. The room was gorgeous, clean, and updated. I signed up for the free Kimpton membership and got free wifi AND a gift card to use for snacks in the minibar. PS the gummy bears are scrumptious! We missed the free wine hour so they gave us vouchers for wine or non-alcoholic beverages. The service and room were wonderful. I would give this hotel a 7 star rating if I could!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Joe P, General Manager at Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear TStar88:

We will take that 7 star rating!
Glad to hear you had a great stay. I will be sure to share your feedback with our team especially Christina. We hope too see you soon.

Joe Pagone

Been to Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!