“Good place to stay in Baltimore” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #48 of 61 Hotels in Baltimore
Wilmington, Delaware
“Good place to stay in Baltimore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is a nice place to stay in Baltimore. It is about six walkable blocks from the Inner Harbor and the subway is one block away and city buses are everywhere. It is close to the Camden Station of Marc Train.

It is an old building with interesting architecture. The rooms are up-to-date and a cross between
Gaugin and Lady Baltimore. Lucious gold curtains with fringe at the windows lends an aire
of Old Baltimore. It is very clean.

Breakfast is quite delicious. Desk clerks and manager are very good, nice, and helpful.
For a moderately priced hotel in downtown Baltimore, this one is an excellent choice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Baltimore, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
We at the Quality Inn Downtown Baltimore would like to thank you for such a nice review and hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Lexington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here for a conference that I was attending. It was downtown and not far away. Check-in took a little while and the front desk clerk name started with an M was not dress professional at all and was not very helpful. She seemed very frustrated and upset. I tried to make things easy. We got the first room which was small and the AC didn't work. We had to move rooms which was fine but the second room was strange. Pictures missing from the wall and the bed skirt was all messed up but the strangest part was the door was open. We went in and the rooms was a lot larger and the AC worked but the other things creeped us out a little. The beds were fine breakfast was what you would expect. The hotel is older and has that feel to it which is kinda cool I wish they would have a little bar set up or something to add to that old time feel of the hotel. Like I said not the best but not the worst.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Baltimore, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret you had problems with the room. I will take your suggestion to our management meeting and we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Baltimore.
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I will never stay at a Quality Inn, or any Choice Hotel again. The Night Manager working at this hotel, Darell Lucus, made me feel unsafe, unwelcome, and was the most unprofessional person ive ever had the displeasure to work with.

Upon arriving we were informed that there were zero luggage carts for all of our things, because they didn't know where they were, a guest had taken the only ONE they had. After that I checked us in and my friends who were helping us carry our things before going to their own hotel headed up with the key. I had called ahead asking about parking a few months back, and was told I could find parking in the city for $60 for the entire time we would be there (five days). Darell then informed me that there was NO WHERE to park for that much and the only place was the $25 a day lot next door (which proves to be very untrue as I found later when I parked for $10 a day). I told him that ive parked in larger cities like New York (my travel partner LIVES IN THE CITY THERE, SHE GOES TO NYU) for less money than that, and he said "you clearly have never parked in those cities before." This man is calling me and my travel partner a liar.

Well I head up to the room, which is supposed to be non-smoking, and it REEKS of marijuana. Not only that, but it's TINY. We were promised my booking.com a much larger room, and this is the size of my closet. Not as promised at all. I come downstairs and tell him, and he heads up to the room. He then accuses my friends who were helping us of staying in the room as well (they politely inform him that they're simply helping us carry or things since there are NO LUGGAGE CARTS remember) and then says he'll have to "check up on us later" to make sure there's only two in the room like we booked. I don't know what that means, as he shouldn't be allowed to check up on ANYTHING when we have a Do Not Disturb sign up. We are two single women alone on this trip, and now i'm getting major red flags.

He comes downstairs and gets in my face about how i'm "trying to defame" the hotel by stating that I think it smells like marijuana "in front of anyone who can hear." It's 12 at night. There is not a soul in this lobby. He is not across the desk like he should be, he is in my face far too close for comfort. He then says "you CLEARLY don't know what marijuana smells like" which is, again, him calling me a liar. I go to Florida State University. Trust me, you smell pot just walking around that campus at any given point. I know what it smells like. He is angry at this point, like i'm accusing him of ripping a bong in the room before we showed up or something. He then says it's their room deodorizer and not marijuana.

My companion has asthma. The stench of that "room deodorizer" was so powerful she couldn't even breath. So finally, after being harassed, scared, and unable to stay in the room, we check out, and I am charged the $114 for my first night's stay and we are left in an unfamiliar city trying to find a place to stay the night (don't even get me started on the crap hole we stayed in eventually).

Choice Hotels and that Quality Inn have refused to refund my money on multiple occasions and no action has been taken against this hotel or the night manager. Even the regular general manager seems to not care. Currently, I have a check coming to me (in 4-7 weeks) from Choice Hotels for $30 to help settle this, which is no where near the money I had to spent being talked down to by this rude Night Manager. I went through hell after a 17 hour drive from Orlando, Florida, and I will never bother with Choice Hotels and ESPECIALLY this Quality Inn again.

Not only that, but I was there to help out with the largest convention on the easy coast, Otakon. After pleading online for people to help us find a place to stay, thousand and thousands of people have heard my story. All of these people go to conventions where they stay in hotels any where from 4-12 times a year. And none, not a single one, will ever book with Choice Hotels again. I hope not giving me my $114 refund is worth the thousands upon thousands of dollars they just lost.

Room Tip: Never book here at all.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Appleton, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Having read the other reviews, we decided to take a chance since the location was near the inner harbor and Johns Hopkins hospital. It was what we expected. The room was fine, but not as clean as most. Everything worked. New decor was nice. Breakfast was good - what we expected. We slept well and enjoyed a good breakfast at a decent price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Baltimore, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
The Quality Inn Downtown Baltimore would like to thank you for your kind words "We slept well and enjoyed a good breakfast at a decent price." We hope to see you again when you travel back to Baltimore.
Lakewood, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

"Ok but not great" applies to the location, room quality and overall experience. Not as close to Inner Harbor (but within walking distance) but seemed a lot further at night, as there were always people hanging around on the corner and in front of the hotel at all hours. We had a queen bed and roll-away, and could barely move in the tiny room. TV remote didn't work so we went to the front desk & got a replacement, which didn't work either; only one channel available on the TV. Staff was friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was well-stocked and fresh. Good value - ok but not great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Baltimore, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Frank guest reviews such as yours, are appreciated, as they give us the chance to improve. Your statement that the staff was friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was well-stocked and fresh, and that the hotel is a good value is very kind.
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

They spent a lot on improving the rooms, but without great customer service and training by staff, stay becomes less than fair.

Within a few minutes of checking in, I knew that we would have some trouble. Front Desk was fairly nice, but she was wearing a lower cut T-Shirt. I was hoping that this was not the uniform for all employees. I got to the room and the safe instructions were unreadable, so I called the front desk to get instructions. Not only did the FD not have a clue how to open it, but there was no maintenance on duty. What kind of property has no maintenance on duty? She said that the owner let him go home early. I heard the FD tell a potential guest in front of me that they were full, so why would you let the maintenance go home early. She said that she would text her co-worker to see if he had knowledge on safe instructions. He tested back with instructions. I went to try again with no luck with these instructions. I finally figured it out without anyone’s help and when we left for dinner, FD asked me for instructions.

Next morning, breakfast was adequate, and employee taking care of entire operation was a hard worker, but she was wearing an orange shirt, black pants that showed her butt crack when she bent over, and looked gothic with excessive makeup. This is not quite the image that should be portrayed.

Later that evening, we had a clogged drain, so we called FD in hopes that maintenance was first working, but could fix the problem. Young Vietnamese kid came up, couldn’t speak any English, and changed out our light bulb in bathroom. He then left and said he would be right back. After a bit, we called FD to ask when he would be coming back. She said that she was told that item was solved. I said that he came in and replaced a light bulb when he was called to fix the drain line. FD said that she believed that the “light” was the issue, not the drain “line”. Are you kidding me?

When walking around the property and lobby, I started to see an obvious trend. The FD employee was from Senegal, Africa, and spoken broken English. Some other employees were from Vietnam and spoke little to no English. I am all for diversity in the workplace, but if key employees are unable to communicate and take care o your needs, it becomes a big problem. It became clear that although owner has spent a lot of money on improvements to room, he was obviously cutting back on the most important item, which was service and training. I wonder if these employees were even making proper wages.

I attempted to move hotels after the first night, but there was a convention in town, and no others were available.

The last couple of nights have been fair without problems, but these experiences tainted the entire stay.

As far as Baltimore goes, we all enjoyed the city, especially the Inner harbor, with very nice restaurants, entertainment, aquarium’s, history (Fort Mcenry), Camden Yards (Home of the Orioles) and lot’s of things for my son to enjoy with his mom.

So, bottom-line, stay and enjoy the city, but I would highly recommend doing so from a nicer hotel

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Baltimore, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
We are disappointed to hear of your experience at our hotel and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. The problems you mentioned were brought to the attention of each department and have been addressed. We are sorry for the inconvenience and annoyance these incidents caused.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Not too bad. A lot cheaper than a lot of hotels in the area and that is really all it has going for it. Best for those who need to been downtown. Clean, but a bit worn down and not much attention to details. For example, we didn't have soap one day and one bed was missing a blanket. Breakfast was kind of school cafeteria, but there is coffee place around the corner and a Dunkin Donuts down the street. For those needing to be near the Inner Harbor or Convention Center, this isn't too convenient, but Baltimore does have a free bus that can get you around town. The neighborhood is kind of mixed, but I felt safe walking to where I needed to go. Overall, if you just need a place to crash and don't really need a lit of amenities this will do.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. While I’m thrilled to hear you liked our location and cost, I regret that the hotel did not meet your expectations.