“Go for drinks only, skip the food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Luckie's Tavern

Luckie's Tavern
10 Market Pl, Baltimore, MD 21202-4008 (Downtown)
410-223-1105
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
Annapolis, Maryland
“Go for drinks only, skip the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Visited with a friend on a Saturday night for dinner and drinks before a concert. The high points are the location within the trendy Market Place complex, and the atmosphere which is decent overall. Unfortunately, the service and food were disappointing. It took 10 minutes before we were "greeted" by our young server, and service was slow and inattentive afterward (bar was not that crowded). The limited menu consists of only a few items and prices are high. My $9 burger was no better than one from a fast food chain and included only a bag of semi-stale potato chips. If I do return in the future, it will be for drinks only.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

36% Recommend
Delaware
1,072 helpful votes 1,072 helpful votes
“Decent Food at OK Prices, but LOUD Bar Atmosphere & SLOW service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

My husband and I were in town to see the FREE concert on the Power Plant Live Plaza last evening. We decided we would get something to eat close by & ended up at Luckies. We arrived around 7:30pm & were seated outside on the "patio". We were given menus and we placed our orders immediately. I ordered the turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes ($14) & my husband ordered the cheesesteak ($10).

Meanwhile, some drunk guy stumbles out of the bar and onto the patio. He begins lingering next to our table. He was acutally leaning on our table and using it as a place to put his drink. Not to mention that he was smoking a cigarette & blow smoke in our faces. Finally our waiter notices he is a problem as the guy stumbles, bends over and starts staring at a barrel across from our table. He said IF the guy got TOO creepy to just let him know. Eventually the guys returns to the bar area inside.

After about 20 minutes our orders are out from the kitchen. Mine arrives with gravy covered french fries even though I had chosen the mashed potatoes. The waiter was aware of the "mistake" and said he wanted to bring it out anyways. He said a bowl of mashed potatoes were being made up and were on their way. About 5 minutes later he brings me a bowl of DRY mashed potatoes--NO gravy. I question why there was no gravy & he starts to tell me that when they make the dish with mashed potatoes that it is layered. It was NOT MY FAULT they messed up the order & presentation. I don't care HOW it is SUPPOSED to be assemebled. I just want the GRAVY on the mashed potatoes like it should have been in the 1st place! Our waiter takes them away & returns 5 minutes later with gravy topped mashed potatoes. Meanwhile, I have eaten part of the turkey sandwich--which was pretty good--even though it was a little bland. It was REAL turkey, not deli sliced turkey & the bread was a thick texas style toast. My husband said his cheesesteak was good, but a tad salty & peppery. It was also real sliced rib-eye steak meat, not some deli meat. So, overall the quality of the meats seemed pretty good. Plus my husband really loved the roll the cheesesteak was served on. It was warm & seemed rather fresh baked. He really enjoyed the roll even though the actual steakmeat was over-spiced. My husband had the regular fries and they were decent. The mashed potatoes ended up being pretty good, but again a little bland. The portion sizes were pretty decent & I ended up with leftovers.

Overall the food was decent. It was not the BEST food I have ever had, but decent for a bar scene. The prices were decent for the portion sizes. The atmosphere is VERY LOUD. We were on the "patio" and we could here the indoor HUGE screen Tv's football game outside. The lighting is kind of dark both inside & out. It was hard to see our food. They had lights that changed colors outside giving somewhat of a club vibe. The service was VERY friendly, but a tad SLOW. We were there for almost an hour & our waiter knew we were in a hurry to leave since we wanted to catch the live show that started at 8pm. He also was slow to bring me a refill on my soda. I ate half my meal with no drink. He did eventually bring me a refill, but it was as he was getting our check and a to-go box, which also took about 15 minutes. He really was a super nice guy, but OH SO SLOW!

I might eat here again, IF I was not in a hurry. The food was decent, but keep in mind that is really is a BAR atmosphere..complete with bouncers, cover charges, large screen tvs for the games, beer coolers and a 2am closing time.

Note: After a certain hour, you are charged a cover charge to get in. We left around 8:30pm & I went back a little bit later to see IF I could use the restroom since I had just eaten there. I was told that I had to pay $5 to get in EVEN to just use the restroom.

TIP: You can get $5 parking at the Pier V Garage after 5pm IF you ask your server for validation.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere