“Nice trip, but be forewarned....” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 59 Hotels in Baltimore
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southampton PA
“Nice trip, but be forewarned....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

My husband, two small children, and I stayed at the Pier V recently as part of the Harbor Magic, Spring Break Getaway package. The package included 2-3 night stay, 8 breakfast passes to the hotel restaurant, and 3 tickets to the Port Discovery Childrens Museum. Here are my thoughts....
Hotel--
First, the hotel was clean and comfortable and has a evry interesting look, and the staff was very helpful and accomodating. They had a nice crabby hour where you can sample a nice crab dip and have wine, beer or soda. My complaints were 1) that our tv remote didnt work,and we called 3 times to ask that someone fix it, but it was not addressed until the last night of our stay. 2) the cleaning service was not good, ie we would see wrappers/debris still scattered on the floor after the room was "cleaned"., 3) the room we were given only had one bed, EVEN THOUGH WE TOLD THEM WE WERE A FAMILY OF FOUR AND WANTED TWO DOUBLES. (After complaining at the front desk, they bought in an air mattress but I was still kind of irritated by this. The kids were fine with it though). BE FOREWARNED: there are big $$$ tax and occumpacy fees. We payed nearly $60 on tax and fees PER NIGHT..Ask about the costs of these to avoid any unpleasnt surprises...Plus PARKING IS $21 PER DAY. No free parking options available. Factor this into your budget.

Hotel Breakfast passes --
The food was good, the service, not so good. On day one, there was s a long wait because the place seems understaffed. The next day, it was better, no doubt because of complaints. BE FOREWARNED: Go early (before 9) or expect a good wait.

Activities--
The package came with 3 museum tickets. Ypu can buy extra tix in advance. The kids had a nice time (they are 8 and 5), but they were only entertained for about 2 hours. They loved the jungle gym - that's the main attraction.The rest was not that interesting too them....

We also purchased (in advance) tickets to the Acquarium. This was a bit of a disappointment. BE FOREWARNED: The 3D showed scared my children. If you have small children, SIT NEAR THE AISLE SO YOU CAN LEAVE EARLY IF NEEDED. The dolphin show was nice but over so fast you hardly felt you saw any tricks. GET THERE AT LEAST 15 minutes early if you want a good seat. Also, if you go to the acquarium on a Saturday, there is a long line, so if you are sure you want to go, buy tix in advance to avoid the line.).

Lastly, we also purchased (in advance) ESPN zone tickets. This was okay as well, but really the games are geared to older kids than mine so we didnt get much benefit out of it. BE FOREWARNED: DONT buy tix in advance because they are pretty easy to get once you are there, and if you dont use them they are NOT refundable.

Overall, nice trip, but much more pricey than the benefits we received. I can say Ive been to the Harbor, but not likely to go back anytime soon.

Stayed March 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

I loved this, and I generally will stay at a Marriott-branded property, but my meeting was here. My room was huge, bathroom large and well-lit, everything was clean, and the free Poland Springs water in the room each day was an added bonus. The food at our meetings was great - especially the Godiva fondue break. The staff was warm and friendly, and I wish I had more time to explore Baltimore. If I were to return, I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Great staff, clean room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

I would not recommend this hotel for business travelers. There is no concierge, no business center (except a computer and printer in the lobby), no pool, no exercise equipment. The room service was the worst - there isn't anything on-site. You need to call a local seafood restaurant with a very limited menu that was delivered to my room by a rude kid who basically shoved a bag at me and left. The food was bad and they charged me $2.50 for a Diet Coke which consisted of about 1/2 cup of beverage served in a styrofoam soup container.
The room phones are not marked with the usual room service, main desk, wake up call, etc. If you dial "O" the phone rings a very long time and several times I just gave up. My husband called the hotel to reach me and said that they never picked up the phone so he gave up and left a message on my cell phone.
On the good side - the bed and pillows were comfortable and the room was reasonably clean and in decent shape.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — few amenities
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

I'm a management consultant and do a ton of travelling for business. We usually stay in 4 star hotels and I don't consider myself abnormally picky about hotels. I simply expect a clean, comfortable, quiet room with a good bed and internet access for the 4-star price point.

A client arranged for us to stay for a few nights at the Pier V hotel last week and, in all candor, I was pretty disappointed.

The Good: The location is great and very convenient to the inner harbor and downtown areas. McCormick & Schmicks and a Ruths Chris steakhouse are on the property. No issues with getting a bite to eat or a drink. There is a Panera about 2 blocks away and has great Breakfast and Lunch options.

The Bad: The rooms, although painted and decorated in a funky modern motif, were crappy. I had a stack of dirty room service dishes outside my door for an entire day. The wooden furniture in my room was really beaten up. The carpet was stained and torn in a couple of places. The tile floors in the bathroom were dirty and the grout in the shower was mildewy. The pillows on the bed were worn out and, after a few hours, felt like I was sleeping on a bag of rocks. $30/night for "valet" service parking your car in a pay lot next to the hotel... both times I needed my car, I had to go searching for the parking attendant as he did not answer the phone and was not at the front door.

Most troubling, however, was the noise and lack of privacy between rooms. The lock-off doors between rooms allowed for a TON of noise to permeate between the rooms. To put it plainly, you can hear **everything** that is going on in the room next to yours. On the first night, I endured 3 1/2 hours of banter between a drunken couple who came in at 1:00am. The following night, I was serenaded by a tuneful snorer and phlem clearer! Needless to say, I hardly slept either night and could not wait to get to out of there.

Bottom Line: Great location if you are needing to be in the Inner Harbor area. For the price, you can find much better accomodation elsewhere.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room Quality
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

My family and I recently stayed at the Pier 5 and had a great time. The location is excellent and the rooms were very spacious and comfortable. There is so much to do in that area around the hotel that we never had to take a taxi. The hotel was very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The crab and wine tasting every evening was a very nice touch. Will definitely stay here again!!

• Liked — location and view
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

My husband just returned from an stay at Pier 5 and have nothing but good things to say about our experience there. This trip to B-more was for a birthday celebration. We stayed three days. The attention to detail was evident from the start. Check in was effortless. The staff courteous and accommodating. Our room was comfortable, clean, and the location was ideal for exploring the Inner Harbor area, every thing was within walking distance.

We had booked the Ultimate package and had several extras ordered to make my birthday celebration extra special. The Pier 5 did not disappoint. We were so happy with our stay we will definitely book there again. In fact we are returning to B-more in October for the Fells Point festival and will be staying at Pier 5's sister hotel the Admiral Fell Inn based on our experience with Pier 5 we expect to have a great experence there also.

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — The sausages sirved in the Peacock Cafe did not like the taste.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

I got a great deal on Priceline ($75/night) and Pier 5 was the place. Right on the Inner Harbor and close to great restaurants. Spacious room, great service (forgot my cell phone charger and they shipped it), great location. Easily within walking distance to all the sights and sounds of the Inner Harbor.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pier 5 Hotel? Share your experiences!