“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Virginia
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We spent a night here while my little son was having tests at Johns Hopkins. There were a few little glitches with our room upon check in, but these were quickly handled by the staff. Everyone (front desk, maintenence, and valet) were really nice and the kids loved the crab hats they received at Crabby Hour. You cannot beat the location, we had a balcony room that overlooked the aquarium. You could walk to many restaurants and of course the aquarium in less than 5 minutes. The only negative was there was fairly loud music coming from the lobby until after midnight. All of the rooms open onto the lobby so I did wonder why the music was on so loud for so long on a weeknight. However I could tolerate it so I never called the front desk and complained. We would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

The location of Pier 5 is outstanding--right in the middle of the inner harbor, and walkable to all kinds of shops and nearby neighborhoods. The view from the room was fantastic. The room was clean, fairly large, though a little dark. There was a cute little painting on the wall of the bathroom, but otherwise the decorations were what you would find in a standard chain motel. The overnight parking was quite expensive over $20 and gym and internet was extra as well. With a few small improvements the hotel could go from ok to great.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a harbor view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Mt. Juliet
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

The good: 1)Great location if you want waterfront and close to city attractions. 2) Hotel staff in most cases very nice and helpful especially Kevin on the night shift. 3) The Hotel was very nicely decorated or I might say very interestingly decorated, and 4) Had two high-end restraurants on site which was nice. The bad: 1) Was not really aware of the so called daily "destination charge" of $9.95 prior to check-in. This was for amenities that you receive for NO Charge at most other Hotels. Felt like my pocket book was being picked. 2) We arrived early, 11:00 AM and knew that check-in was afternoon, however was told by front desk that room was ready and empty but we had to pay a $20.00 early check-in fee. Another pocket book picking. 3) Informed front desk day prior to leaving that we needed a car for transportation to airport. Next morning they had failed to arrange a car and took cab 20 min to arrive. Front desk didn't seem to concerned that we might miss our flight, and 4) Rooms needed some refurbishing, showing age.
Overall you might say the "bad" were just minor things and nothing is perfect and I agree. But you expect exceptional value and service when you pay the prices they charge.

Room Tip: If you want views of the bay, 304 is not a good one. Would recommend 305 and above.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
New Bern, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Staying here on business and am impressed by the exceedingly cordial staff. The room itself is nice but not exceptional. I am actually a bit overwhelmed by what I refer to as the "Alice in Wonderland" decor - gold and purple walls, green and purple carpet, green doors, high-backed abstractly shaped chairs, etc. It is a bit like something out of Wonderland, although one of my colleagues swears it reminds him of South Beach...The bathroom is non-exceptional - combination shower/tub, nice long counter, and typical lousy hairdryer (I SO wish hotels would give consideration to their female clientele). There are no refrigerators in the rooms, but when I requested one it was promptly brought up for me. The king size bed is comfortable and includes a multitude of pillows of varying firmness and fill. My HVAC unit is on the noisy side (with no option for continuous fan) but this is also not uncommon in older rooms.The breakfast buffet is typically overpriced ($12 for fruit, cereal, pastry, etc.); however, the fresh berries are a nice touch (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries - all available). Again, the service was very attentive. Lastly, on week nights there is Crabby Happy Hour that consists of homemade crab dip and free beer/wine. The crab dip was great (I think that the chef's was good but DJ (?) did a better job by adding mustard for a kick) and made for a super appetizer.
Considering the location on the inner-harbor, excellent service, and more than adequate room, I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
rural hinterland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I had first learned about this hotel from Groupon, but they had offered only a 2-night-stay (which we can never take), so I had to let that go. But when Sniqueaway came out with an offer to stay for one night, I grabbed it!

The pictures online of the building looked great, directly at the waterfront in the inner harbour of Baltimore.

We arrove on a Wedneday afternoon and were greeted very nicely by Kyle (I believe) at the front desk. We checked in without any issues, were even handed a 25 $ voucher towards breakfast for the next morning! That had not been mentioned by Sniqueaway, so that was a nice surprise!

We had booked a room for 199 $ with a king bed and harbour view. Now we did have a view into the harbour - when we looked out to the right over the lower roofs beneath our 3rd floor window. And we had a king bed as announced.

But it was really only a very small standard room. The ceiling was constructed very interestingly (see pictures), it was going up high and looked very nice. But it only made the room bigger in an optical way, the ground size of the room stayed the same.

On the door I had seen the floor map of the whole floor, and there I saw that our room (305) was like a handtowel (a small rectangular), and nearby were much bigger rooms.

I would not say anything if we hadn't paid 199 $ for this. Usually I am paying less for a suite in a Kimpton hotel (by using deals)! And the 199 $ was a deal price by Sniqueaway!

I looked up the rack rate online, and I saw the regular rate for our small room was 299 $ per night midweek. That is really too much!! And Hubby said he also found we have paid too much, even with that Snq coupon.

At least we got that 25 $ voucher for breakfast, and that was really really great! We had the choice between a continental buffet (all you can eat) for 11.99 $ per person and a warm breakfast (eggs etc) for about 15 $ per person. We were standing in front of the buffet and the decision was easy, as it looked really wonderful.

Pastries, breads, bagels, boiled eggs, fresh fruits and berries, joghurt, various juices, cereals, granola and much more that I am now forgetting. We really ate the money's worth to get ahead of the price, as we had paid too much for our small room. We were helped by Bill who was very friendly, just like all staff members we met.

Kyle (front desk) had borrowed us an umbrella when we went out in the pouring rain for dinner the night before. Alexandra at the front desk helped me out with some key issues, and the maid gave me another bottle of (free) Voss water.

The lobby was decorated very tastefully with beautiful furniture. I liked the open style, how you look down onto the lobby when you come out of your room. The architecture was really interesting in this building.

But the bath room was unimpressive, I am afraid! Tub and shower combo, this American insult of a bathroom, I still can't believe this whenever I am seeing that. You can bathe 2 small children in that, but not an adult, and definitely not 2 adults.

But even worse was the toilet design! Not only was the toilet right there by that joke of a tub, it also had the paper roll BEHIND the toilet at the wall. So you had to get yourself some paper rolled down and ripped before you sat down! In my age (48) I don't always have that time anymore, so even when you rush to the toilet and make it in time, then your spouse has to come in and get you some toilet paper fom the roll behind you. Or you stand up and drip into your underwear while you turn around and roll down some paper. Not good either way!

The counter which held the ONE SINK was very big, and it could have easily held 2 sinks. I don't know why they did it like that, I thought that was wasted this way. There was also a hair dryer hanging in a bag from the bathroom door, also we had a safe in the closet plus a (tiny) robe (yes one robe, not two).

We had free internet access, so we had brought our laptop along, which we have set up on the desk between the bed and the window. It worked fine. So I watched a german TV show online while Hubby watched some CCN news on the TV at the wall.

Another nice thing was that the window actually opened! After the terrible rain on Wednesday night we awoke to a blue sky next morning with warm temperatures. It was March 1st and it felt like May 1st! We opened the window and enjoyed the fresh air. Glad that we could shut off the climate machine, because that was very loud. But at least it worked.

I should also mention that they offer valet parking, but right before you get to the hotel you can self park in 2 various public places for $22 per 24 hours. I don't know what valet parking would have been, but I am sure it would have been more.

Hubby loved the alarm clock, it looked just like the one I had in the early 70s, but besides ringing it could also say "Good Morning" when you shut it off. He would have bought that right away if that had been offered! There was a second clock standing in the shelf across the room, I think it was also a CD player. We haven't touched it, as we stayed only for one night, but it is a nice thing to have.

I am sure this hotel has reallly nice rooms and suites, but considering our handtowel sized room was $ 299 ($199 with Snq), you can imagine you would pay the amount of your monthly mortgage payment for one night in a suite there. I have no idea why they believe these prices are adequate. I can get a Spa room or even a suite in a Kimpton hotel for less than this Pier 5 Hotel is asking for a very small standard room.

Unless we can find an incredible deal for this hotel (and not just $100 off), we will stay at the Monaco (Kimpton) next time. I have actually already booked our 2 next Baltimore stays there.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are tiny with unimpressive bathrooms and way overpriced. Suites are probably beautifu...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Leesburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My sister and I stayed at Pier 5 the weekend of February 17th. We had an amazing time! First, the Monday before our arrival, Bryce called to offer his assistance in making reservations for dinner and/or events. I asked him if he could find out about a particular experience we were hoping to have, and he emailed the information to us very quickly. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. When we arrived on Friday, Wilson greeted us to provide valet service for our car. He was extremely friendly and also provided us with directions around the city. When we checked in, Empress immediately made us feel right at home. She was friendly and helpful and had an amazing attitude. Our room was nicely appointed and a good size. It was clean and comfortable. The Chocolate Event in the Lobby on Saturday was a nice distraction in the afternoon. We enjoyed the dipping and truffle-making! The gentleman behind the table there was very friendly, as well as was the gentleman who took our plates later on. I only wish I could remember everyone's names! My sister called down on Sunday morning to see if we could possibly get cookies for breakfast (yes, cookies for breakfast!), and the gentleman at the desk said that he would find out. When he called back he let us know that the cookies are not normally made in the morning, they are made fresh in the evening when most folks order them. However, he had asked the chef, and the chef agreed to make us fresh chocolate chip cookies. They were so delicious! Everyone we encountered at Pier 5 made us feel welcome and helped make our trip unforgettable. We look forward to returning!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

My wife and I (and our 2 Beagles) just stayed at the Pier 5 Hotel for a two-day getaway using an incredible Groupon deal in Feb 2012. WOW, what an experience! The hotel was amazing, situated in the very heart of the Inner Harbor. The staff were incredible, epically Empress at the front desk. The chocolate fountain presentation was great...plus free cookies, fruits, and bottled water never hurts! MAC Fitness (which is free for all guests of the hotel) is one of the very best fitness clubs that I have ever attended. Everything is in walking distance; from the Inner Harbor, to the Power Plant, to Little Italy. Truly amazing! Plus your pets can stay w/ you at this awesome resort-type hotel w/ NO ADDITIONAL charge! Lastly, the Hotel Manager, Ted, is top notch and took sometime out of his busy day to give us a quick tour of the entire hotel…a great guy! Give'em your business, I'm sure that you will not be disappointed! And PLEASE, PLEASE Pier 5 Hotel, offer another reasonable Groupon sooner than later. We already want to come back...C. & D. W from Maryland 20904

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pier 5 Hotel? Share your experiences!