“Not worth saving money” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 18 Baltimore B&B and Inns
NYC
“Not worth saving money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I recently stayed at the Hopkins Inn. I had stayed here about 4 years ago, and didn't remember it being so bad, but would not recommend it to anyone at this point.

I decided to stay here because it was the cheaper of the 2 hotels I was looking at. I was saving $10, but that all went out the window when I had to pay $18 for parking. That was not mentioned when I booked my room. The young girl checking me in was not the most gracious. I needed to pay for the parking, but she did not want to process my payment at that time because "the computer was too slow."

My room was small, but certainly fine for one night. The closet was so narrow I could not shut the door without my clothes being crushed. They had to be put in at an angle to begin with . On the chair next to the bed was someone's (the previous guest?) pantyhose, hanging up to dry. The TV was mostly static. It did not even have NBC. The bed was terrible. The mattress is so old, that I just fell into the middle of the bed & had to "climb" out of the divot. As other travelers have mentioned, the heating system is extraordinarily loud!! I slept very poorly that night.

In the morning, I discovered that the room did not have a hair dryer. I tried to call the front desk, however, the phone in my room did not work. I went down to the front desk, but the lights were all out, and no one was around. I continued on into the basement, where I did find the young man working. He was very pleasant & did get me a hair dryer.
In terms of the free breakfast, my only complaint was that there was not any plain black tea and that the breakfast didn't start until 7 am, which is late if you are trying to make it out early.

Ultimately, I questioned the cleanliness of my room, combined with the terrible night's sleep, does not make it worth it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

If you have business at Johns Hopkins University and want a nice, affordable place to stay, the Hopkins Inn is the ticket. It's clean, comfortable, and only a block away from the university's main gate.

Despite my need to stay in this area one night a week for the last several months, I've avoided booking the Hopkins Inn because of the numerous bad reviews. I'm sorry I stayed away so long. The desk clerk was friendly and helpful. The public spaces were clean and well appointed. There's some really great antique art in there. My room was small but the perfect size for me. Again it was very clean and comfortable. I loved the bathroom and its classic fixtures. The mattress wasn't the best, but higher quality linens improved it greatly. My biggest surprise was how quiet the place was. This inn is on one of the busiest streets in north Baltimore and right across from the entrance to Union Memorial Hospital's emergency room, yet I could've heard a pin drop at night.

Two words of caution: First, if you have mobility problems, stay elsewhere. There is no elevator and you even have to climb steps to get through the front door. It wasn't a problem for me, but I certainly would never book my parents here. Second, the free continental breakfast is insultingly sparse and poorly appointed. But Charles Village has great breakfast joints, so enjoy the neighborhood instead.

Overall, I really liked the Hopkins Inn and would stay there again without any hesitation.

• Stayed February 2011
Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

If you are visiting Hopkins University, the location is wonderful!!
But the price has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the hotel. I got a very low rate through Hotwire, but their regular rates (even their "special discount" for university parents or hospital patients) are definitely not a good value at all!! The only way I would maybe consider paying their rates is because of the convenience of their location if I did not have a car with me.
The hotel is small and quaint and homey. The rooms are pretty small, with nice old wooden furniture. Everything is very clean and new (but not modern).
Continental breakfast is included, very simple, all self service, no one from the hotel in sight. Hotel is surrounded by all kinds of restaurants, coffee shops and cafeterias (plus the university). Everything within walking distance.
Parking at the hotel is at an additional cost, but it is possible to park on the streets...
Beds are a bit hard. Heating a bit noisy.
Very basic cable TV, on old television with not too good image...
Definitely not a good value for your money...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

The Hopkins Inn was a perfect spot for a week end stay in Baltimore. My daughter went to park the car on the street for free. As expected, I found a modest-looking entry. I was greeted by two friendly women, and was immediately upgraded from a twin room on the 4th floor to a queen suite on the first floor. The rooms were lovely, clean, and filled with antique furniture ~ even a fireplace! My daughter and I were delighted with our accommodations. After a night on the town, we arrived back at the hotel for a good night's sleep. We did not try the complementary breakfast. We went to "The Bizz" for brunch instead.

• Stayed January 2011
New York, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

The room was fine; larger than I had expected. The bed, however, was a disaster. The mattress was so old that it was like sleeping in a hammock making it very uncomfortable for 2 people. Also, the bathroom sink was dirty with the last guest's hair and soap in the basin and on the ledge.

The staff was a bunch of young college-aged kids who were courtesy enough - if you could find them.

Overall, I was disappointed with the Hopkins Inn. The location was fine and the room (except for the bed) was suitable. But the staff and the atmosphere did not not match it's price. It is definitely a location that is way past its prime and could easily be mistaken for a Super 8 motel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

Good location, pleasant staff, easy transportation, lots of good eateries around as well as there's a Barnes & Nobles around the corner..

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

Looking charming from the photos and description, expectations were high for our family 5 day visit in an old inn. Several older members were given rooms on the highest floors-nothing says there is no elevator. The place was really dirty. The housekeepers appeared to be unsupervised, the so-called breakfasts were a disaster. Serving table dirty, insufficient food, out of spoons, stale fruit loops and other similar cereals. Fresh fruit? Forget about it! Front desk often not covered, and the worst: I couldn't be sure the sheets on my bed had not already been slept in. There's more--but isn't that enough?

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hopkins Inn? Share your experiences!