“Terrible Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 69 hotels in Baltimore
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Terrible Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Those of you who read my reviews will know that I am easy to please. My reviews are almost always positive. This motel, however, managed to fail in this regard. I wanted an economical place to stay in Baltimore while I was on business. I should have done my homework on Tripadvisor.

Front desk help and customer service was virtually nonexistant. There was always a line of people at the front desk with one person serving the entire lot. I was unable to ask any questions or for anykind of service. I was told I was not permited to use the fax machine in the office. WTF?

The hotel was not in a bad part of town; but I always felt unsafe walking in and out of my room. I just had an uneasy feeling with all the riff raft hanging outside. I also had a bad experience using the vending machine. I made the stupid choice of using a credit card to purchase a soda. I got home to find out that someone stole my identity. I caught the fraud in enough time to void any fraudulant transactions.

I will look for better options during my next Baltimore trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Baltimore West, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear david l,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The poor guest service and safety conditions you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our Guest Relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
C'ville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was not my choice, but I had to stay with the folks I came into town with. Believe me, the other hotels in the immediate area were not any better! I am not a fan of rooms that open up to the outside; doesn't feel safe to me. The room was ok and I must say it was clean, but there were holes (possibly bullet) in the comforter on the bed. The tv was ancient and the remote didnt work very well. I didnt feel safe there, so I had 2 very sleepless nights. I will say the front desk staff was very helpful when I had a problem with the room key.

I would only stay at this place again if there were no available rooms anywhere in the city or close proximity!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

This place is disgusting! I can't even explain my hatred for it. The woman in the lobby had to be crazy hormonal or something because she didn't want to change my room! There was a bug on the pillow that was a big as a piece of chocolate and the place was just extremely dirty. Would not recommend at all. Only stayed to save money. Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed January 2013
Simpsonville, sc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Do NOT stay here. Tried out for one night to save a few bucks, it wasn't worth it. The bedding and carpet was awfully dirty, and in the morning, I found two dead bed bugs on the sheet. I'm worried now that I'm bringing bed bugs home :(

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I would NEVER stay here again. I was there for about 5 hours. I fell asleep only to wake up to a bed bug crawling down my arm. I threw the blanket back to find 2 more bed bugs in the bed. I have bite marks all over my body. I demanded a refund and once it was granted I packed my things and got the hell out of there

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This Motel 6 has three sections. The third section sits back and above the other two sections. There is a fence that separates the 300 section rooms from a Days Inn. I reserved the room online via the Motel 6 site. Check-in was easy and the front desk people were courteous. There is no pool. There is no breakfast.

I had a single-bed room. The room itself is designed for two beds, thus there was quite a bit of open space between the door and the bed. There is an old-style TV, the basic furniture, and basic lighting. The room lights were rather dim. The sink and bathroom lights were good and bright.

The bed was not really firm, but not really bouncy. It's as if the mattress were made of pillows. The linens looked good. It's two days later and I don't have red welts - how's that?

The towel setup gave me two washcloths, hand towels and bath towels. There was neither a hair dryer, tissues, glasses, ice bucket, nor shampoo/conditioner. Soap and toilet paper were in adequate supply.

The room was clean. Everything functioned as needed. The water was hot and the shower provided adequate pressure considering it uses a water-saving head.

I did not feel cheated by my stay.

Room Tip: The 300-section rooms are on the hill and thus may provide more quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I used to go to Motel 6 all the time...back before they got sold a few times and became so seedy of a chain. I stopped going there after I stayed at the Garden of the Gods one in Colorado Springs. I saw a little bug I'd never see before on one bed and slept in the other bed and a couple of weeks later our whole family had a full-blown case of head lice...that little bug I'd seen on the other bed was apparently on the one I slept in, too.
So we signed up site unseen for this motel with fear and trepidation...we were desperate. The rate was $60 for a Sat. night, which was the best we could find in Baltimore (we go to Balto-area frequently, and most of the lower motels are at least $60-$80, we've found). I was also a bit nervous about the area. The hotel was very quiet when we were there. Our room was large and not spectacular, but average for a Motel 6. The bathroom was huge, but I think we were in a handicapped-access room, which was actually a nice place to be. The motel is back away from the busy intersections. It overlooks the backside of a couple of businesses, but that's probably one reason why it was quiet.
We had problems with the Internet and the front desk guy seemed sincerely apologetic--we finally figured out that only one person per code could go online at a time. We paid $2.99 for Internet, which was a heck of a lot less than the hotels we'd been in earlier (we had just gone to the local McD's for Internet when we were in those hotels).
No fridge or microwave, of course. The 10 only had about 10 stations, so it wasn't great for watching a movie or anything interesting. But it seemed to be clean and gave us the basics and the beds weren't too bad to sleep in. When we checked in, we were given a 10% discount for some reason my husband couldn't understand (the front desk guys are a little hard to follow...perhaps Indian and Carribean?). Housekeeping DIDN'T come back in 10 minutes, when we were leaving the room for the day, as we requested.

Room Tip: Ask for a handicapped room. I think they might be nicer because they might be used less.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Baltimore West? Share your experiences!