“Baltimore Museum of Industry gets 2 thumbs up!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 133 Attractions in Baltimore
Type: History Museums, Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: This interactive museum in a restored oyster cannery explores Baltimore industry over the last century.
Baltimore, Maryland
16 attraction reviews
“Baltimore Museum of Industry gets 2 thumbs up!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

My 2nd grader and his class attended this museum. I didn't know what to expect so I went along. What a pleasant surprise behind those walls! Lots and lots of original industry items from as early as the 1800's. Typewriters, foods and brands, sewing machines, printers, transportation and delivery vehicles, and so much more wow! I am by far not a history buff, but I must admit I was intrigued to see all the historic items and how they have changed in today's society. There is no food on site but it's great to pack a lunch and if the weather is nice, enjoy eating inside the museum or along the beautiful Baltimore Inner Harbor. Plenty of benches and tables and great, close by parking. Although I don't believe it is the best place to take 2nd graders on a field trip, the great tour guide managed to keep their attention. Today I proved, "you're never too old to learn something new". I sure did.

Visited May 2012

Laurel, Maryland
13 attraction reviews
“A Hidden Gem in Baltimore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We were looking for somewhere to visit in Baltimore that we hadn't been to before when we came across the Museum of Industry. It is very easy to get to off of 95 without driving through city traffic, has plenty of free parking, and is right on the water with great views and a covered picnic area. Don't go here expecting the Smithsonian, it has a smaller more intimate feel. We were told we could tour by ourselves, use an audio tour, or have a free guide, and we opted for the guide. He was admitedly kind of quirky, but without a guide, you would miss a lot because he demonstrated many of the machines in operation. Our guided tour lasted about 45 minutes, and then after that we walked around by ourselves to view all of the other exhibits. This museum is a step back in time with a cannery, machine shop, garment industry sewing room, printing presses, etc. There are also exhibits with old cars, televisions, and small appliances among other things. One thing I learned that I didn't know was that Baltimore was a major manufacturing city for umbrellas. We really enjoyed looking at all of the old artifacts and thinking about how people used to live, but I think it might have been boring for children. This museum doesn't get a lot of publicity and is really a hidden gem -- a great place to go on a Saturday afternoon and close to Ft. McHenry if you want to visit both on the same day.

Visited April 2012
Baltimore
31 attraction reviews
“Make this a stop while in Baltimore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I first heard about this place when I volunteered to help with The Straw Bridge competition. While I had some "down time" I looked at the exhibits. It was a fantastic museum, filled with lots of interesting exhibits. I would never have gone here on my own, if I hadn't volunteered. Now, I want to go back again, to see what I missed.

Baltimore, Maryland
32 attraction reviews
“Kid friendly and well done”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We took the kids there, and the blacksmith was wonderful with my son.

Visited October 2011
Bel Air, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
“Great overview of Baltimore Industrial History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Overall this is a well done exhibit. A great deal of machinery and equipment from Baltimore's past. The displays are well done and documented. Covers everything from automobiles, sugar, and electronics to clothing and radio broadcasting. Talk about a trip down memory lane!