“29th Visit to Pimlico for the Preakness Stakes” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #82 of 133 Attractions in Baltimore
Type: Horse Tracks, Casinos & Gaming
More attraction details
Owner description: The site of the Preakness, the second leg of horseracing's Triple Crown.
Memphis, Tennessee
4 attraction reviews
“29th Visit to Pimlico for the Preakness Stakes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We have been coming to Pimlico for 29 years. As others have described, it is getting older and needs some TCL. What we noticed on this visit is that the folks working inside were very nice and willing to go the extra mile for their guests. Very personable and interested in helping us have a great day! We did notice tables and "stuff" lying about which should have been put away for race day however.

The blackeyed susans this year were absolutely terrible, and we were offered a sample thank you very much!!! Thank goodness they would make a different drink in the special glass so we were not forced to drink that mixture. What were they thinking? Bring back the Brass Monkeys......

We sit on the track and enjoy talking with the horse hands and feeding the quarter horses carrots. It really helps put the day into perspective for our group. We are very down to earth and come for the fun of the race and one another's company, not necessarily the condition of Pimlico.

Would recommend a visit for the Preakness to everyone, it's a great day.

Naples, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“The Preakness, truly the armpit of the triple crown.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Alright, one of the things on my bucket list is to attend the entire Triple Crown, so my job brought me to northern NJ for a few months. A few co-workers and I decided to head down to Pimlico to attend the Preakness and had a few reservations about what it would truly be like, as we have all previously had attended the Kentucky Derby. The Derby is the finest run event I have ever been to, and was assuming that the Preakness would have the same organizers. I was wrong. We took a cab to the race to avoid parking / crowd issues, and out of the beautiful forested areas of Northern Baltimore emerges this ghetto. Now, I've been to my share of ghettos before, but this was a rougher looking ghetto, a huge police presence was there to make sure you didn't cross the street to deal with the "locals", but that does deter them from trying to sell you BBQ. This happened at the Derby as well, and we had a GREAT time hanging out at the local BBQs but they seemed ill equiped so we just followed the line into the Preakness. Get inside Pimlico and it was antiquated to say the least, the grandstands looked terrible, and the infield looked terrible (though hardly a suprise). Two turkey legs and a corndog $31, seems steep. And who in the heck decided it was a good idea to have 2 concerts in the middle of a horse race? Beer $2 for a 12 oz. (8AM - 12PM), then $4 there afterwards. The Preakness was on a rainy day, although it was spotty, we were on the infield and it started to down pour, hid in one of the merchandise tents and were promptly kicked out to stand in the rain by organizers. Thanks! Overall, this place is pretty beat-up but I still had a decent time, but it should be noted that I am a borderline alcholic and there was plenty of beer on one of my rare days off, I would have had a good time partying under a bridge... I hope the Belmont Stakes provides a more "Derby" like experience.

Charlotte, North Carolina
66 attraction reviews
“Preakness 2013! First Time Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was my first time to Pimlico and I went Friday and Saturday. I heard lots of reports that the facility was very run down and in bad shape but I found that to not exactly be the case. Yes the facility is old and built around 1903 but I thought that main grandstands and the main facilit was in very good shape. Yes many people like myself did sit in folding chairs all weekend but we also had a great view of the track. Parking wasnt an issue if you purchased a parking pass which is always recommended for these types of events. The one thing that blew me aware was the food available. Crab cakes, roast beef sandwiches, crab pretzels, and much more. If your a true hose racing fan you will love the way Pimlico sets up for the Preakness. The paddock is indoors and small so all the horses are lined up on the turf course and walked for everyone to see. Overall I had a great weekend at Pimlico for the Preakness and I would love to go back. Awesome track with so much history.

Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
61 attraction reviews
“Bad Area, Crazy amounts of people - Preakness”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I went to Preakness for the first time this year. It's held at the Pimlico track. It's in one of the worst neighborhoods of Baltimore. During this event they have 2 to 3 cops on every corner just as a precaution.

Parking is a nightmare. There is NOT enough parking for all the people that come.

If you aren't in the stand and decide to be in the infield wearing very casual clothes. Dress like your going to be in Mud, because you are.

Also, they do NOT organize the field very well.

Southampton, Pennsylvania
8 attraction reviews
“Fun way to spend the day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

While i agree that this is not the nicest racecourse in the USA, it is nice to visit on Preakness Day, which I will this year. The concourse is very uneven, and for ladies who wish to wear high heels good luck to them - I wore them last year and I almost killed myself, so flats for me from now on. parking is hit or miss, last year we got a spot nearby the track - (in somebody's yard) which we negotiated for a good price, but you must leave your keys - they cram cars in so much that they have to move some - so don't leave anything valuable inside. We always get tickets for the infield, near the quarter turn to the finish line, and that is very exciting, a lot of close action, and the military flyby's - and budweiser horse's add a touch of thrill to the day.

Visited June 2012