“A little dated...” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 133 Attractions in Baltimore
Type: Science Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: This popular museum is located in Harborplace.
Phiiladelphia, PA
8 attraction reviews
“A little dated...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Not a bad museum but there were a lot of things that were not working or looked really dirty. They should also have some hand sanitizer around as there are a lot of little kids touching everything. Highly recommend the planetarium shows.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
66 attraction reviews
“Good museum, bad planetarium”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

There is an amazing diversity of exhibits in this three-story museum with lots of hands-on items to keep the children thoroughly entertained. You can lie on a bed of nails, watch a tornado form before your eyes, pull yourself up with pulleys, brush for fossils, do activities that trick your brain, and much more. Many of the exhibits were also interesting to me as an adult, though it is clearly geared more toward kids. There are also live demonstrations throughout the day. One of the demonstrations was a huge hit with our kids and every kid in sight (exploding hydrogen balloons), but another involved a rather testy presenter who repeatedly rebuked the curious children. Standard admission includes one planetarium show, but you have to pay extra for an Imax show. You have your choice of 2-5 planetarium shows depending on the day. The one we saw ("Solar System Odyssey") was mind-numblingly horrendous. There was only a limited amount of information conveyed about the solar system. Most of it consisted of a cartoon of poorly written lines, bad puns, cheesy moments, and unbelievably exaggerated, gag-inducing didacticism about people deliberately destroying the planet. When it was over and the presenter asked, "What did you think?" he was greeted by deathly silence followed by one kid tentatively saying, "Cool." Our kids claimed to have liked it, probably because it involved a space ship shooting thorough space, but we were sorely disappointed. You couldn't pay us to watch something like that again. We were hoping for something more like the planetarium trips of our youth – where we learned about outer space, you know – and saw what looked like the actual night sky. So we chose poorly. I'm not sure which show does that, if any. I know one had Big Bird and Elmo. I'm guessing that's not the one either. Give kids some credit for finding straight up astronmy interesting without the cheesy cartoon talking down.

Allow three to four hours even without an IMAX show. There are lots of restaurants along the inner harbor within walking distance, so skip the café, eat a big late breakfast before you come, hold out as long as you can, and then go for an earlier dinner after. The price of admission is high, but no higher than typical for science museums of this kind.

NYC
8 attraction reviews
“A nice afternoon of science”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Coming in the front door, the Museum had a little policy of members on one line and the general public on another. so as long as members kept coming in, the rest of us had to wait. I could see where that is a little off putting. The staff appeared young. One girl was behind the counter taking the admissions and the other was standing in front of the counter. I asked her how this works with the two lines and it seemed like I was bothering her.
But once we paid and went it, it was all a different story. we went over to see the dinosaurs first and while there seemed to be too many displays for the floor space, there was quite a few specimens that I had never seen before. There was a few more young staffers by the "dinosaur dig" and they tried very hard to be informative with the kids. Good for them.
There was a large number of hands on displays and experiments and I was shocked to see that they all worked! I've seen many museums where many of the hands on things didn't. My young son loved the tornado simulation. He had a ball.
we also was able to catch the last planetarium show of the day, and we all found it quite entertaining.
But the dinosaurs was worth the price of admission!

Newark, Delaware
34 attraction reviews
“Hands on fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

A lot of fun. I love science and there are lots of great hands on ways to learn about it. Great for bringing your families and kids. My husband and I felt a little silly being some of the only people in there without a child, but it was still fun. They have a great IMAX theater here too.

New York City, New York
26 attraction reviews
“Only Good For Young Children”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

As my sister and I walked around the Inner Harbor, we decided to check out the Science Center in hopes of finding valuable knowledge. We were sorely disappointed. After paying $17 each, we found that most of the exhibits consisted of kid's games and simple concepts. The dinosaur exhibit portrayed very simplistic concepts regarding the majestic beasts that once roamed the Earth. There are much better places to go and learn about science than this place, and it's only worth it if you bring younger children.