“A Great Day-trip.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Port Discovery Children's Museum

Port Discovery Children's Museum
35 Market Place, Baltimore, MD 21202 (Downtown)
410-727-8120
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 133 Attractions in Baltimore
Type: Children's Museums, Museums
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Port Discovery Children’s Museum is ranked among the top 5 children’s museums in the United States! (Child Magazine)Port Discovery offers three floors of interactive, educational exhibits and ever-changing programs for children ages birth through 10. Toddle and crawl through Tot Trails. Get healthy and fit in Kick It Up!. Splish splash in Wonders of Water. Shop and pump gas at the Royal Farms Convenience Store and Fill’er Up Station. Cook and serve food in Tiny’s Diner or climb and slide through KidWorks, a 3-story urban treehouse.Port Discovery Children's Museum is pleased to partner with the Let’s Move! Museums and Gardens Initiative launched by First Lady Michelle Obama and the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) to fight childhood obesity. The national initiative helps children learn about healthy food choices and promotes physical activity through interactive exhibits and programs.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
“A Great Day-trip.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2005

Port Discovery offers a break from the everyday "fun"things to do and provides a vast array of "entertainment". The kids don't even realize they are learning. They're just having fun. There are so many different attractions that we were unable to do all of them. Of course, the giant monkey bars or climbing tree or whatever it was called, was the best part of the trip. It is large enough for an adult to accompany a "timid" climber and the adult actually has fun doing it!!!! I can't imagine anyone not having fun here. There are just too many diversified activities to allow for boredom. It's great for clubs too. I understand they have "overnighters". If my child was a member of the scouts (etc.), I would hope they would participate in an overnighter at Port Discovery. I'll bet it's awesome.

“Loved Port Discovery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2005

Port Discovery is so much fun for little kids! After reading the other reviews, I was surprised that they weren't favorable. We just recently visited Port Discovery with our three year old and her 4 year old cousin and we had a great time! We saw a performance by the Kindersinger who was throroughly entertaining and kept the kids' attention the whole time. We also took the girls to a story time - I was told they offer one every day for little ones - and they absolutely enjoyed it. We sang songs, danced and the story reader was very animated. The kids room was a lot of fun, though I agree it was a little small, but there were several other areas that was age appropriate for the children - the diner, the arts and craft area and a really cool farm area.

I noticed that the bad reviews were a year old or more so it seems to me Port Discovery has made more effort to offer more programs for little kids. I would recommend any family with toddlers/ pre-schoolers visit. We've visited several children's museums in the PA, DC and VA areas and they just don't compare. Port Discovery is our favorite by far.

A TripAdvisor Member
“a lot of wonderful changes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2005

I took my child to see Port Discovery for the first time in several months. What a big difference than the last visit! I really feel that the place has taken the advice from the public and made the necessary changes to make it "new and improved". The addition of the Diner and the Farm area is wonderful! My daughter loved playing "waitress" and "cook" and serving mommy dinner! It was precious to watch! As well, the "working" farm area was entertaining and educational.
It was a very crowded day, which I guess is a good sign, but I never felt overwhelmed. It was an exciting environment. The kids were having a blast! (I bet they didn't even realize that they were actually learning things!) I think everyone should try this place! It is unique and so different than a "playground", I think it is unfair to put it in the same catagory. We need places like this in our community, we should support it rather than sabotage it.

“What a great day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2005

As a group leader for people with disabilities let me say that I can't wait to take my folks back again. This place was the most courteous place in downtown Baltimore, having staff at every activty to assist my clients to access each exhibit. I can't tell you how refreshing it was to have an organization prepared to meet the special needs of my group. KUDOS to the staff at Port Discovery for making the day smooth and stress free.

“Fabulous for Kids!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2005

We had a wonderful visit to Port Discovery with our two year old. There were so many fun exhibit areas for her to explore. She loved the toddler room and story time and even got to make a fun project to take home with her. She didn't want to leave! A great place when you're looking for something to do with your family.