“State park restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
victoria texas
“State park restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Very clean and friendly place, it is really a great setting with good views. The food is not perfect but both times we ate there is was well worth the moderate price. A twenty will get you a good meal for two.

Visited October 2011

Houston, TX
“Good food, reasonable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We ate only at the Black Bear restaurant during our stay at Indian Lodge in Davis Mountains. Every member of our family liked what they tried. They had nice variety in the Menu with vegetarian options. They also substituted / altered the items for vegetarians.

Price was quite reasonable and the staff was friendly, hospitable, and accommodating.

Highly recommended.

Visited July 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Drive to Fort Davis!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We had anything but a pleasant dining experience here. One of my children had the enchilada plate which was served with rice that wasn't fully cooked. My teen had a quesadilla which was less than tasty. When the kids wouldn't eat their meal, I tried a bite and decided I couldn't blame them. My husband and I both tried the chicken fried chicken which was tasteless and served with mashed potatoes that must have been from a box. Sadly, the rolls weren't even good. The floor beneath my chair was so sticky that my tennis shoes were getting "stuck". And, unfortunately, the waitress didn't even refill our tea until we asked. If it were a busy place, then I could understand ... but we were the only ones in the restaurant at 5:15 p.m. That should have been a sign that the food was undesirable, but the lodge there is so nice that we figured the restaurant would be good. After we left, we made the drive to Fort Davis for an ice cream treat. In my teen's words: "to clear the riot going on with her taste buds". Sure wish we would have made that short drive for dinner!

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas, United States
“OK food; hit or miss service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Living in a city of 10,000 restaurants (Houston) may taint my expectations. The food's good - not great, but what it lacks in quality is made up in convenience and prices. Our family spent the week and the restaurant saved us from having to drive into town for several meals. The servers do the best they can, but the place needed one to two more to cover all the tables. (Don't expect that to happen anytime soon given who's governor of Texas!)

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Good Casual Food in a State Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Surprisingly good, casual food in a small state park. The Black Bear is in the attractive adobe style lodge, most of which dates from the '30s' Staff very personable and helpful. Good stop for lunch after a MacDonald Observatory morning visit.

Visited June 2012