“Nice Place in Fort Davis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Stone Village Tourist Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Davis
The Stone Village Tourist Camp
You added The Stone Village Tourist Camp to your Saves list
509 North State Street, Fort Davis, TX 79734   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Fort Davis B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
“Nice Place in Fort Davis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Book a night at Stone Village Tourist Camp based on reading reviews. I was pleased. We stayed in a kitchenette Queen Suite. Very clean, nicely remodeled room. Wi-Fi was adequate. We were traveling with our dog and there was a $10 pet fee. Very Reasonable. Bed was soft, but confortable. Loved the vintage feel of the place. Proprietors were very friendly and accomodating. Will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
central Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed for two nights in one of the camp rooms--converted from a carport, perhaps?--with a screened front. It was a great step up from tent camping, which I'm too old and stiff for anymore, but an inexpensive stay compared to a full room. First week of May, the days were warm but the room was perfectly comfortable, with good cross ventilation from one deeply encased window I could leave open even during a heavy thunderstorm. Very comfortable bed, and there was a cold-water sink, and room to set up a little table and my computer. WiFi not fast enough for streaming, but otherwise adequate. Shared bathroom facilities down the way, but as I was the only woman staying in a camp room, I had the whole thing to myself. Everything was clean, the grounds are charming, the honeysuckle fragrant, and the coffee at the market next door was great! I've been wanting to try this place for a long time and everything exceeded my expectations. If you book a camp room, understand what you're getting...with a screen front and cars driving right up to the doors nearby, you're going to hear late arrivals, a/c compressors down the way, people talking outside early in the morning. I woke a little earlier than I wanted to the first morning, but the second, a Saturday morning, was extremely quiet. I stood outside with my coffee and watched the sun rise and a deer trot down the main road...very peaceful. I left feeling refreshed. This has to be the best value in town for accommodations!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hempstead, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

EXCELLENT customer service!!! Held a photo workshop in Ft. Davis at the o6 Ranch. All participants stayed here and all enjoyed their stay.

Average internet speed, bathrooms are a bit small but there was a lot of storage area in the room. Kitchenette has sink, refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. You can go next door to their Market and get free coffee. Their breakfast burrito's are awesome... and the chicken salad!!

Very convenient parking in front of room. Very clean and pool area was a nice gathering area. Walking distance to local restaurants and shopping. Very close to the historic fort.

Will stay again. The owners are so accommodating and nice!!! I have stayed in nicer places in Ft. Davis, but will return to theirs due to the owners. They also have historic homes with beautiful rooms to rent. Might try those next.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 10.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
midwestern US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had a room in the older section. with a queen bed. The room was not huge by any means, but plenty big enough for two adults. Everything was clean, the air conditioning worked and the bed was comfortable. What more do you need?
After 4 nights of lugging bags up stairs at our previous stops, it was nice to be able to park right outside the room. There must not have been many other guests the night we stayed here, but I can see where cars pulling into the lot would make it a little noisy.
The staff was friendly and accommodating. The wifi worked, the shower was good and there is a heater/fan in the bathroom ceiling, which we put to use as it was a little chilly in the morning this week.
One of the best things about Stone Village is the proximity to the market next door- good sandwiches, pastries in the morning and plenty of other choices for light meals or snacks.
Overall, I thought this was a really good value.
The camp rooms looked interesting. No one was staying in them the night we were here, but I might be tempted to give them a try if I was a hiker or biker and not hung up on having a private bath.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Longview, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

What can I say about these folks.... they are extraordinary. My fiancée and I rented a house they manage on Scobee Mountain. We limped into town with car trouble with plans to be married the following day in Marfa. My car died and had to be towed 150 miles away to Odessa. Here I am more than 600 miles from home, no way to get back to the house, to Marfa, my wedding...my future bride who is stuck on the mountain while I tried to attend to my car. The owner, without any delay, threw me the keys to his personal vehicle and said go get married.....see ya tomorrow. We returned the next day and expressed our thanks....he said you know what I don't really need it, I have another car...keep it until you leave. Needless to say it changed what could have been a huge problem into a wonderful honeymoon. These folks believe in service and caring. You can't go wrong here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
randallsvtc, Owner at The Stone Village Tourist Camp, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
It was a pleasure to have been able to be a part of this couple's new life together! They were great guests and we saw the need!
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm not sure why this place is rated #1. It should be. It's all one story and every door opens on to the gravel parking lot. I like this because it was very easy to get stuff from the truck. I have been here on my motorcycle also and being able to park right in front of your bedroom window is a huge plus. Cars and trucks park on the other side of the parking lot which is maybe 60 or 70 feet away. You don't have to worry about anybody's engine waking you up in the morning. Most motorcycles these days are very quiet.

The showers are small, but they work fine. The bathroom is fine. Remember this is a fun old-time traveller's style hotel. It's not a high rise luxury resort. It's fun and the staff are super nice people.
They have a little store attached that also makes sandwiches. The store stocks a large variety of gluten-free and other special dietary foods. That was unexpected for a small town.

Walking all around town is easy. It took me and my 12 year old about ten minutes to walk all the way to the courthouse. The main dragw has some fun shops.

Regarding the website, the pictures are not very good. The place is actually MUCH nicer and the pool is very good for cooling off. You won;t be swimming any laps in it but thena gain your kids can play and have a great time while you sit in the comfy chairs under the trees.

Room Tip: There are two types of rooms. Call and talk to the receptionist to find out which type suits you the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Randall and his staff is top notch. They understand customer service consistently going above and beyond! Everytime we turned around he was there asking if we needed anything. He opened his adjacent store for groceries after hours just to make sure we had what we needed!

• Stayed April 2013

Been to The Stone Village Tourist Camp? Share your experiences!