“Grand Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Monroe, Georgia
“Grand Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Our family stayed at the Cannery Pier recently and our visit surpassed any previous stays in a hotel or inn. Our room overlooked the Columbia River - in fact, it looked as though our room was IN the Columbia River from our deck. Binoculars in the room enhanced our views of passing cargo ships. The rooms are well appointed, with everything you would ever need - fridge, microwave, fireplace, desk, and a seating area to read or view ships. The bathrooms are spacious and we loved the claw-footed tub from which you could view the river! Every evening there is a wonderful wine and cheese reception and every morning there's a great breakfast for guests. We also enjoyed travel to our dinner in the 1952 Caddy with a guided tour of the area by our driver. Each restaurant recommended by the front desk was top notch. I sure do wish I lived closer to this area so I could enjoy this wonderful place more frequently.

Room Tip: I think any room would be awesom!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

660 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

We find ourselves coming back to his hotel and the wonderful town of Astoria over and over again. The hotel is lovely offering very comfortable rooms, free shuttle to and from town, afternoon wine and cheese and a basic breakfast. Astoria is a great town with good restaurants to choose from and enough places to visit to keep you busy.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gig Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Overall, a wonderful hotel experience. It almost feels like you're on a cruise ship as the hotel is located on a pier right on the Columbia River. All rooms are situated on the water; which is an amazing design. The rooms are also very well-designed. They have fireplaces, a sitting area to watch the ships go by, balconies (albeit small), and an awesome claw-foot tub with sutters that open up to the room enabling you to soak in the tub while enjoying the view. This is our third visit and the hotel seems as clean and new as it was four years ago.

Continental breakfast and evening appetizers are basic, but well-presented. The hotel staff are extremely friendly and are anxious to recommend local restaurants and offer limo service.

If I could have one complaint (that really surprised us), their bedding is very sub-standard. The sheets are paper thin and blankets are also thin. I would expect high thread count sheets and better beds, as well as bedding in a hotel of this caliber.

However, still the BEST in Astoria...by far.

Room Tip: All rooms face north. There are three stories and all rooms are exactly the same. There are one be...
East Wenatchee, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I've been in the hotel business myself for almost 35 years and have stayed in innumerable hotel rooms over the years. The Cannery Pier Hotel is without a doubt one of the best inns I've ever stayed in. First and foremost, the staff was fantastic and friendly from the breakfast server to the wine hour host / limo driver (Spence you're great) to the front desk team to management. The room was large and well decorated. How often do you get to look out your window, while sitting in front of your fireplace, and look at a massive river right outside your window? The lobby was quite large with huge windows looking out to the river. Breakfast was great. Complimentary wine hour was great. All in all, a very memorable experience. We'll be back!

Room Tip: We liked our first floor room being right on the river.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

What a find in Astoria. Don’t just drive thru, stay a night or two in Astoria, there are many excellent places to eat, and this hotel is a gem with a capitol G. Our second visit and it did not disappoint. The limo service for dinner is a great amenity, as is the hosted wine reception every evening in the scenic view lobby area.......there is a great hot tub and sauna, the rooms have a BIG claw foot tub, big enough for two, and the rooms all have a deck on the water side and a fireplace.....we love it there....

Room Tip: any of them, we love the top floors
Gearhart, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel sits at the end of a pier out into almost the channel of the Columbia River. When freighter and other boat traffic goes by, it is right outside of your window....I mean RIGHT OUTSIDE like you can almost touch it. That is why we went here for my birthday and we only live 10 miles south of it.

The rooms are nicely appointed and clean. We choose a room that faces the Columbia River Bar so we can watch the ships coming in. Comfy beds, fireplaces, little dining table, micro, nice refrigerator, big clawfoot bathtub with a view...all good. Best again, they have doggie rooms and our little frenchie comes along. They presented her with a bed for her size, two bowls, 20 various treats, poopy bags and a toy which she loved and got to keep.

There is no restaurant on premesis but they have a big old 1950s Cadillac and they will take you to town and pick you up as part of their included services. There is wine and cheese at 5 pm, cookies at 8 pm and breakfast in morning. All good.

The only negative was that I could not get the wifi in the room and since the dog could not go to the lobby area, I could not go out there to try to connect. We were going to go to marinetraffic.com to track the ships while we were in our room. So, we had to use our phones and the 4G service on those but the screen is small for tracking. When I explained this to the manager as a drawback, he gave us a $40 room credit and didn't charge the doggie fee!! Without me even asking. Great customer service. I was so surprised.

If you get a chance and love to watch river traffic, this is your place.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have travelled the world and stayed in up to 8 star properties.. When I showed up at the hotel there was a mix-up with my reservation ..The manager came out and apologized. He then gave me a beautiful room for NO Charge.. I was not expecting this.... It was over and above what was necessitated. The room was outstanding, the afternoon cocktail reception and the breakfast were all outstanding... I wish I had more time to stay at the property ...I will be going back..

Room Tip: All the rooms face the water.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cannery Pier Hotel? Share your experiences!