“Mt favorite breakfast place.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 83 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Description: Featuring fresh local seafood and gourmet meat and vegetarian or vegan dishes.. Enjoy a specialty cocktail in the VoodooRoom, a visual homage to New Orleans.Long a favorite of locals and visitors from afar.
South Bend, Washington
“Mt favorite breakfast place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Great breakfast. The spinach frittata is excellent, and they serve their homemade toast with 4 jellys, They are all tasty, but I am addicted to the garlic jelly.

Visited August 2012

Boston, MA
“Don't miss this little place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

If you have one meal in Astoria have it here! Marco is an amazing chef! I recommend sitting at the bar so you can watch him cook and chat with him. Also - don't miss the jellies home made from peppers and one from garlic. You'll never taste anything like them! If you can't decide what to eat ask the kids working there or Marco for suggestions, they will happily steer you right! A good mantra in the Pacific Northwest is: anything with bacon and shellfish is always a good eat!!!

Visited September 2012
Oregon
“Eclectic, wonderful restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

When in Astoria, if you are into something out of the ordinary, you must stop here! The food is outstanding.

Let me say here, I would never try a beet in a restaurant before this. My wife ordered the beet pesto and arugula pesto pasta dish and it was out if this world great! We almost stopped the next day to get an order to go, but ran out of time. It was amazing. Reasonably priced, cooked to order right in front of you with fresh made pasta for your order.

I must say, don't be in a big hurry, because this place has its own time. Allow 1.5 or so to really savor the whole atmosphere. The cook, Marco, is entertaining and friendly, and really should be on a cooking show. He's that good! Service was nice and friendly.

If you are in for a culinary adventure, try the "mercy plate", which is the chefs choice. In 23 years he says he has never cooked the same entree twice. Wonderful salmon with spinach, spices and a great lingering aftertaste.

Try this place! Oh, by the way, they only take cash so bring $50 or so for a great experience on the Mouth of the Columbia!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ashland, OR
“Long Wait for Food I Love and Fun Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I had time to kill so I just went with it, but when it happened the second day too (and at other restaurants) I started to wonder: is Astoria on a different time/space continuum? Not necessarily a bad thing, but I should have had a snack before visiting a restaurant. There is nothing like the Columbian Cafe, it is one of a kind so it is hard to say if anyone will like it. My order was taken by the sweetest hairy man dressed in retro lumberjack gear (just like my father-in-law logger, much better attitude) and cooked by a perfectly hairless in-your-face queen (possibly in the drag show of the attached gay bar the night before? I don't know, I don't stay up late enough to sample that scene) with a lovely palate. I was privileged to enjoy his golden beet pesto on my expertly cooked eggs with a side of sauteed veggies, my idea of Paleo heaven for breakfast, so that gives you a reference point. All this packed into one of the tiniest diners ever (bigger than the diner in downtown Reno that only seated six, though). Would your grandma like it? Quite possibly, I certainly will love it if I ever get a grandchild... the very straight older couple next to me certainly relished their mimosas and were obviously regulars. Pretty non-risky way to live on the wild side for a couple of hours.

Visited July 2012
Portland, Oregon
“This place works magic with salmon.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

A small, dumpy little cafe that doesn't look very inviting, but the counter being filled with locals is a good sign. Last insight we had coho salmon that was superb. Don't be put off by the appearance if you like great food, especially fish.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere