“nice hotel ho hum location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
california
“nice hotel ho hum location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here in the jacuzzi room. Room was great! A remarkable view on the fourth floor of the Bridge from Washington to Oregon. There was a gas fireplace altho we didn't use it because the weather was so wonderful that day. The jacuzzi was next to the bed in the room and was wonderful after coming back from walking.... the only negative thing....the hotel is located quite a ways from downtown and when I booked I was under the impression that we could use the trolley that runs along the river walk. It wasn't running. The breakfast was very nice with full breakfast items. But the hot cookies at the resevation desk in the evening was the cherry on top. We would absolutley come back but next time make sure the trolley was up and running.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
portland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Yes, it is true, the Holiday Inn Express chain is a low end hotel, so my expectations should not have been so high in the first place.
All I can say is that if you care about a comfortable bed and good customer service...DO NOT STAY HERE. I was told that the sheets were not polyester as I am sensitive to that...and THEY ARE. The Pillows are incredibly uncomfortable and my neck hurt for days. I had to call down at 3:00 am to get a blanket to use as a pillow.
When I complained, the manager, CAROLYN,was so utterly rude and disrespectful, my customer service rating gets a big fat zero.
I will not be staying here again, and I truly advise the same to you.
The fact that they're a multi-million dollar hotel chain is just another reason to not give them your hard earned money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Astoria, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear beautifulgrl,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My children, parents and I stayed here for one night in February so that we could visit the Columbia River museum. It was a great place! The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff were so friendly and helpful! We walked into Downtown Astoria for dinner and enjoyed a great buffet breakfast in the hotel the next day. I would recommend staying here if you need to visit this area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We've stayed here before and were very impressed. I found that my company has a discount so I decided to upgrate to a suite for a few dollars more.

Our room was on the first floor and was a good size. I was surprised to find that the King bed was near the door, the queen bed had the good view and the fireplace... Then we went to sleep, I mean we tried to go to sleep. The room is next to an exterior door AND the staircase. Late into the night people were stomping up and down the stars and slamming the door. We thought about complaining, but what could the hotel do about people walking around in public spaces?

Next time, I would either request a room on the top floor or not upgrade to the suite. The first time we stayed here we had a basic 2 queen bed room and it was fabulous.

Room Tip: If you book a suite, get one on the upper floors!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Lynnwood, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Once we learned that I had incorrectly purchased the wrong type of room and that they were sold out but they were most helpful in advising to come down in the morning and they would see what they could do for us. We decided once we got settle in to just stay in our room which was very nice and the jacuzzi was used even though it wasn't what we wanted. We enjoyed the breakfasts each morning and they helped us get dinner reservations to a very nice restaurant within walking distance. We would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely go back. Loved the fireplace to read by and made use of the refrigerator as medication was needed to be kept cold.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't just go by the pictures when choosing a room, read the room details. That is...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
menomonee falls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised at how absolutely clean our hotel room was. We had a two queen room just the basic and it was very big! The floors would pass a white glove test that I actually let my daughter crawl around on it! The service was great the only thing I would like them to change is if you have the hanging sing on your door requesting not to be disrupted due to sleeping they need to honor that. Housekeeping will call you to let you know they are leaving and ask if you need anything and to just ask the front desk. I understand that's what their told to do but the hanging sign is up for a reason! My daughter and I both were sick and they called not only waking us up but nearly making us jump out of our skin! 4 out of 5 days this happened every time my daughter was sleeping sometimes myself as well. On top of phone calls they leave a note saying to ask front desk for anything which is what they said in the phone call. It's not necessary and quite annoying! Our last day before check out, they called, knocked on the door, and left a note. It's like an obsession to get your room cleaned. I don't wash my sheets every day at home so I don't see the point at hotels to do so. Aside from that and the terrible breakfast (not just very unhealthy by tasted terrible) our stay was great.

• Stayed January 2013
Big Clifty, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have spent two weeks here on business trips. First trip in a full suite, next in a King room. Both had gas fireplaces and both were spectacular. Fantastic view from the riverside rooms. Open the windows and let the breeze off the water carry in the sound of the seals and the gulls. Spacious breakfast room that also looks out over the estuary. I wish I could just live there. It's even interesting to watch the vehicles going over the bridge that seems to be 10 stories above you and the container ships cruising by.

Room Tip: Ask for the riverside rooms. No matter if it's a suite or just a room, they are very spacious an...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express and Suites Astoria? Share your experiences!