“Convenient and clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Netherlands
“Convenient and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stopped there for the night on our way from Seattle to Portland and were pleased to find a clean and convenient room. Our windows looked straight onto the water and we had a nice view of the huge bridge. A nice 'no-frills' place to stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We decided spur of the moment to stay a night in Astoria, after checking out of our hotel in Cannon Beach. It's high season, so all the hotels were booked. We literally got the last room in town, I think. When we pulled up to the hotel, I wanted to cry. I almost decided to sleep in the car instead. But when we checked out the room, I was pleasantly surprised that it was very clean and very large. Not fancy, by any stretch of the imagination, but it was clean. And there were two sinks, which made it easier to get four people ready in the morning.

The young man behind the counter, Lenny, was very friendly and joked with me when I asked if they had The Goonies to borrow. Turns out they have like 50 copies of it, so clearly I'm not the only one who asks! They have a whole bookshelf full of free movies to borrow. They also have several bikes you can borrow. The room had a mini fridge and microwave.

The outside staircase leading up to our room was dirty and smelled terrible, but I can hold my breath for a few seconds.

The people in the room next to us hauled a deep freezer up to their room, most likely for the fish they caught, so you get an idea of how big the rooms are.

One unusual thing to mention - there is a sticker on the sliding glass door that leads to the balcony that says you may NOT go on the balcony. Apparently it needs repairs and is dangerous. The glass door itself has lots of water spots on the outside, and an empty beer bottle was out there. Probably since no one is supposed to be on the balcony, they don't go out there to clean. So just don't open the curtains, lol.

Anyway, I can't promise I will stay again, since it's more of a motor lodge and I prefer a different style of hotel, but it WAS better than expected, and the employees are friendly. I do think it's overpriced for what it is, but it's a tourist town, so I guess they can get away with it. If only they would fix the balconies and clean the stairwells, and maybe spruce up the outside of the buildings a bit, it would be much better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

So, 3 reviews on the same hotel?... yes, because I won't bother staying anywhere else in Astoria.

I may be a sucker for a diamond in the rough, but there's always something new to see and experience each time I visit.

Free DVD rentals. Yes please! The selection is HUGE (seriously, there's everything from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid to The Avengers). And you are treated like a responsible adult, it's refreshing to not have to offer up your first born son to check out a dang movie.

Same goes for the bikes.. they're not rentals! They're free, offer up your room number and pick out your bike. (New ones. Nice ones. Excellent cruisers, kids bikes, tricycles, and fat tires.) They also offer up chains so you can cruise around downtown and lock it up and not have a care in the world but enjoying yourself.

I've read a couple reviews from other people and I keep wondering if they're staying at the same hotel that I did. The rooms are always -spotless-. I've been in over half a dozen throughout my travels and I've never had a complaint. It's Astoria, it doesn't get THAT hot, and if it is toasty out, then open the door to the balcony and enjoy the soothing sounds of the water lapping at the docks and the boats rocking in the waves. Heat is never a problem if you're cold, the rooms warm up quickly.

Each room I've stayed in has a mini fridge (and I've never found anything but an empty one), a microwave (to pop that popcorn you can snag in the lobby, along with some old school candies that I haven't seen elsewhere in ages.. very retro), big TVs that are either flat screen or, well, big old fat ones, but who cares? Seriously, it's a TV, and a DVD player.

The beds are insanely comfortable. The sheets are clean, crisp, and fresh. The pillows are fluffy and abundant (and if you need anything more, the front desk is happy and quick about finding what you need.)

The showers have great water pressure and HOT water. The shampoos and soaps offered are really nice ones and not bottom shelf. And the towels are BIG.. bath sheets, such a nice treat.

The lobby is newly remodeled (well, in the process.. the new wood floor is a beautiful touch). The breakfast area is always offering up more. More seating, more selection, and more accommodations for the people that tend to sleep late and wander in hungry. The waffles are always delicious. The cereals offered are aimed at keeping adults AND the kids happy. (Who doesn't like a bowel of froot loops once in a while?). There's also whole wheat toast and fresh fruit. Would still love a few more protein offers, but with all the other perks, I don't mind (besides, if you're on vacation, isn't that the time to splurge?). Oh, and the coffee is DELICIOUS.. no crappy truck-stop at this place.

The wifi.. I keep hearing about that, but again, I'm on vacation, and that means avoiding the computer for a while and appreciating the beautiful view and the abundant activities offered in the area.

Now.. for the service. I have never had anything but good experiences in my interactions with the crew that works here. It seems to me that the people that work here are happy to be doing so. They are courteous and accommodating. I've checked in.. and out.. late.. without inconvenience. And when there is a time when they can't help you immediately with what you need, they are always apologetic and helpful in offering other ways to keep you happy.

This place is a great value and it's been really fun to watch it grow and change over the year.
I hope to see it thrive so that others can enjoy it as much as I have.

A few new additions that are fun... an exercise room (just a few things to get the heart rate up). Free washer/dryers. And.. get this.. FREE video games (old school arcade games!) to keep you entertained while your clothes dry.

It's refreshing to see a place that is trying to make the guests feel like they're valued as guests and not as a dollar sign.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here for 2 nights in late July while traveling the Oregon Coast. We were not impressed. The staff wasnt overly friendly, not really rude but didnt seem to care if we were staying there or not. The rooms were in need of either a deep cleaning or a remodel. It was hard to tell if the walls were dirty or scuffed and in need of paint. The view over the harbor is pretty but you may also be woke up by a fisherman starting his boat at 4am. That isnt the hotels problem but it should be a consideration in staying at this hotel. All in all, my stay wasnt terrible but i wouldnt stay there again nor would I suggest it to anyone.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel several times over the past 30 years, starting back when it was a Red Lion with a good restaurant and lounge and then through years of neglect. So it was with great suspicion and doubt that I booked a stay again -- and I was pleasantly surprised at how much better it was since it bottomed out (while still a Red Lion). Our room was freshly painted and decorated. The staff was helpful and accommodating, holding over the breakfast buffet so a couple of slowpokes (us) could get something to eat. They offered good advice on local activities and complimentary bicycles were available to ride on the River Walk. The trolley runs right across the parking lot. The office was well-stocked with complimentary DVDs to watch. The WiFi service was good, but not excellent. As always, the view of the marina is superb. And as for people who are put off by fishermen leaving early in the morning -- YOO HOO -- WAKE UP. This is a working marina in one of the better salmon-fishing ports in the Northwest. Of course they leave early. Right next door is a fish-processing business where you can buy fresh salmon, tuna, sturgeon and ling cod at better-than-supermarket prices. The Riverwalk still is a little rough around the edges, but it is making a good comeback.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the office. They're quieter and have a great view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Campbell River, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were. On our way south when we stopped in the first time, I thought the rooms a bit over priced but the view made up for it. The front desk girl was helpful and our over all stay was par,
On our way back north we happend to end up here again but now it's the weekend. I call the night before to reserve a room to find out that the prices were much more expensive, when I commented on the fact I was told that they had made a mistake the week before and that they had lat that person go because of it, ( to bad, she was at least caring)
No one seemed to care if we stayed with them or not, the new front desk guy said it didn't matter cause they would be full with us or without us.
He ran the front dest like a correctional officer would.
Over all I thought the place was way over priced dirty and noisey ( fisherman fish early and make noise getting ready)
All that I could live with if the staff gave a crap about us travelers...

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor so you don't hear people walking above
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

The family suite is spacious and fun. The kids loved their room with the game cube and free movie and game rentals. Front desk staff was helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good and staff thoughtful enough to leave it out longer when we got there late. The kids want to go back every year.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Astoria Riverwalk Inn? Share your experiences!