“Great for a getaway, if you do it right” 4 of 5 stars

Commodore Hotel
258 14th Street, Astoria, OR   |
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Portland, OR
“Great for a getaway, if you do it right”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Commodore is a great place to stay, as long as you understand what they're offering. The rooms in this re-done old walkup workman's hotel are simple, small, and tasteful in a contemporary way. Most are "European", which means the bath and shower are down the hall. Everything it very clean and tidy, so if this is an issue for you ... it's your issue.

We've stayed in both a small "cabin" room as well as a larger, corner full-size room with en-suite bath. When we do it again, we'll go back to the small room. Astoria is a town to get out and wander around, not sit in a room. The room is a clean, tidy place to sleep. If this works for you, you'll be happy with how nice the place is for the price.

The service was very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful on both visits.

Room Tip: Street side rooms have views, and will also be a bit noisy on weekends. You are downtown, and this t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed at the Commodore . We and really loved it. Joshua at the front desk was very helpful, and personable with our questions, concerns and undecided dinner plans. The 1925 building had been closed in 1965, and reopened and restored in 1998 by the three owners. There are pictures through out the hotel of actual scenes from the moment it reopened. No one knows why the original owner that closed it down in 1965 left everything behind., There was clothes,magazines, beds and furniture left in every room.
The remodel is incredible , and the dark wood floors, stairways, and rooms all reflect a nice old fashion modern day flare. The rooms are warm, wifi throughout the hotel and coffee shop that is joined with it. The coffee shop is open until 6pm, it is called Street 14 coffee. I had an Americana with whip cream upon arrival , but ended up sleeping for two hours the moment I laid on my bed which has really nice pure white comforter and 2 soft pillows that were heaven sent in my room. The showers have the larger water fall sprout and includes the towels for shower to face , with shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. If you are wanting a blow drier the front desk will get one for you.
I love the art mosaic in the lobby , it is above a real fireplace, and has books, rocks,particles from here and there, and the books actually can be removed , so you can sit by the large sitting area , that is cozy and open spaced , read a book , listen to the music that is not to loud or disturbing, or jump on your lap top while sipping a mocha, tea or water. It is also a great place to visit other guests , workers or just finish some needed paper work.

We took one of Joshua's suggestions and went to the Colombian Theater, and had pizza from Voo Doo, while watching a not so good film but the pizza was good . ( kind of wish it had pizza sauce on it) We ordered the number 8, and it was okay but think it lacked with taste and did not care to much for the pizza crust. Since it was Sunday night, there was not a lot of stores or restaurants open. But they do have another theater over toward Safeway that has regular movies showing.

We both love Astoria, and this is our third visit here. Out of all the places we have stayed at when visiting Astoria , Commodore hotel is number 1 in our books. It is safe, clean , friendly and really does help to have staff members like Joshua to make it extra enjoyable while visiting a place ,away from home.

Thanks to everyone in the Coffee Shop and Commodore , for a wonderful welcoming and peaceful stay. We will be back soon.

Sincerely , Jen

Room Tip: I am not sure why there was complaints on the noise from the roads, because I slept until 9am. I had...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Commodore. I researched reasonably-priced hotels and the Commodore had the charm and location I desired. The staff, especially manager Dana Lynn was friendly and very helpful. I loved going down to the coffee shop attached to the hotel in my pjs for my 1st cup of coffee and running back up to my room to get ready for the day! It was nice having the tv/dvd to watch movies from hotel office or from local McDonalds red box!

Room Tip: The rooms are small but functional. I used the shared bathroom and showers with no problems.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I always like old hotels, refurbished, and this is indeed refurbished nicely in a great city location. A tiny, but well-done lobby/fireplace area and guest desk greet you on arrival. Parking is on-street with no hotel lot available.
The rooms (a suite in this case) are quite small, with few, but modern, furnishings, great linens and towels, and fine bathroom with excellent fixtures. It would benefit from a shelf to put toiletries, though. A pair of robes hang in the tiny closet, and an upscale clock radio sits on the nightstand.
There were some curous omissions, like no ice machine anywhere, and no coffemaker, or small refrigerator or microwave in the room. The closet is too small for the luggage rack to hold your suitcase, so you must open it in the limited room itself. As there is no dresser, or even shelving to put your suitcase contents in or on, the floor space gets crowded. The only table is the very low coffee table in front of a very low couch, which is the ONLY seating in the room. The TV is on a swingout mount head-high by the bed.
Then there is the noise... the street sounds, the neighbors. I was immensely grateful for the offer of earplugs from the desk clerk the second night. They were comfortable and worked very well, although some folks don't like wearing them.
In general, a handsome hotel with some comfort issues and limited amenities. Not really a place to hang out, but a place to sleep. The coffee and breakfast at the adjacent coffee shop are quite good, and the staff of both the hotel and coffee shop are as friendly as all of the folks we met in Astoria, a very friendly and relaxed town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We bought a groupon to Commodore Hotel Astoria.
We booked our room as per the rules of the groupon.
We drove 144 miles to stay at this hotel. When we arrived it was very dark. I went to open the
door and a man who identified himself as Micheal came out of the hotel. He informed us in the pouring down rain that they hotel had no power and that they were closed.

He asked me if we were the "Smiths", I told him that we were. I asked him how long they had been without power, He told me all day, I asked why he hadn't called as we drove so far and he said that he had no way to call. I pointed out that the next building had power and that he was holding a cell phone and he just said that he had no control over an act of god,

My husband asked him where we should stay and he said he had no idea, mentioned out groupon and that we would never get a price like that anywhere several times. I actually have never had any business refer to a groupon so many times in such a demeaning way. I was stunned by the rudeness of this man and how little help he was,

We went and stayed at the Cannery Pier Hotel and had a great time.

The next day we called the Commodore Hotel and asked them to rectify the situation, we explained that we had arranged to have these days off and would like to stay the next two days at the Commodore, we were informed that we would only be able to stay 1 day as they were closing the day after for upkeep. We asked for the manager to call us and she did not return our call. The desk boy called and he was very nice and apologetic, he gave us a tour and 4 $5. gift cards to a local brewery, he said that the manager would upgrade our room to a deluxe room. I really couldn't tell the difference between the 2 rooms. The hotel itself was darling, very old and neat. I really would have liked a chance to stay there. We asked if they would extend the date to use the groupon as it would be hard for us to find time off work again and they would not.

The other thing that I found so off putting was that we were to be the only people staying in the hotel and they had rooms that they were designating as "groupon rooms". These rooms were on the highway side of the building and very noisy, (they said) I didn't understand why if the hotel was empty, wouldn't they put a guest in a quiet room. I assumed groupons were a way to advertise but if you are using your worst rooms that really won't work. I see it like giving someone old meat at a restaurant because they had a coupon.

In the end we returned out groupon and we never intend to stay at the Commodore Hotel at anytime in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Anacortes, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here for my husbands birthday and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is chic and modern, while still maintaining a few touches that remind you you're in a historical building in an old town. The staff were fun to chat with and very helpful, filled us in on interesting facts about the hotel, and referred us to a great microbrewery and restaurant within walking distance.
Our only complaint was, as mentioned in other reviews, the traffic noise. The front desk staff informed me that they do have rooms that are further from the main street and are less noisy. I'd recommend requesting one of these rooms when you book or bringing earplugs! The hotel is definitely worth the visit!

• Stayed November 2012
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. The rooms were great, bathrooms were clean, the staff was friendly and the hotel is in an excellent location. But as other reviewers have mentioned ... you can hear everything ... and I mean EVERYTHING that happens. Including my neighbors doing the hanky panky. It sounded like they were in the bed next to me. I could hear every. little. detail. Fortunately, I had a well-charged iPod and decent headphones so I could block most of it out. But that pretty much ruined the stay for me. I hate to give a bad rating because the hotel was excellent otherwise. Next time, I'll look for someplace else to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Commodore Hotel? Share your experiences!