“Good for dogs” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
San Luis Obispo, California
“Good for dogs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The trail along the river is great for dogs.

Although the building is non smoking, the room smelled like smoke off and on, probably from the smokers who gathered at the doors.

The building construction is poor so slamming doors shake the corridors. It was quiet at night except for seals barking in the harbor ( kind of cool).

Staff was helpful and friendly.

Stayed October 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I stayed here two nights at the end of a cross country trip. Although I was a little worried when we drove up, since it was on a busy street, I didn't need to be. We had a river front room on the third floor, with a delightful view of the Columbia River, the ships AND the Sea Lions. Yes, Sea Lions, dozens and dozens hang out at the pier right near the hotel, and they bark all day and all night. However, once you close your window, and turn on the fan, you can't hear them at all!
I liked everything about this hotel, especially the staff. Everyone there went out of their way to make sure your needs were met. Every morning there was a tasty hot and cold breakfast buffet. Christine (Christina?) made sure that everything was refilled, hot, fresh and plentiful. She helped individuals make their waffles, and was constantly cleaning when she wasn't refilling.
On our second day I came back early to do laundry. The manager stopped by and asked if I would like to leave the laundry room door open, because it got so hot in there. Everyone in this hotel wants to see to your comfort, and I have not as good service at many four and five star properties. The rooms may not have been the most up to date in furniture styles, but there were big flat screen TV's, great beds and pillows, and a fridge too! If you are in the Astoria area, this is the place to stay. We enjoyed it very much!

Room Tip: If your room faces the river, you may notice the sea lions barking, however we didn't if we clos...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Kourtney S, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Columbia River, responded to this review, 1 week ago

I'd also like to remind you about our special going on from October 1, 2014 - January 31st, 2014. Interested in a $84 room?! When I say that, I mean any room in the hotel for $84 plus tax a night..
Please call the front desk and ask us about it and we will book that for you right away. We would love you see you back.
You can also feel free to email myself at kourtneyscott.fomcscr@outlook.com and I would be more than happy to book a stay for you or any of your family or friends at that rate. We enjoy your feedback and again would love to have you back at our hotel and we mean that, so I am offering your family and friends a great rate!

Kourtney Scott
Front Office Manager
503-325-2000
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Nice room. Courteous staff. Breakfast good. Yes, the seals are noisy, but it's all about local
charm and certainly made an impression on us from where there are no such animals.
Would stay again for a night. Maybe to busy/ noisy for any longer stay.

Room Tip: River view is nice - large freighters and sea lions.

Kettering, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Arriving here I got the worst first impression I’ve ever got of a hotel. Admittedly it was on the river, but not in a particularly scenic spot, and was 1.5 miles out of town on an exceptionally noisy, busy road. Having booked a room with a river view I thought, well at least I won’t hear the road noise. Instead I was greeted with very loud, continuous barking from the seal colony just out the back and, unlike some other reviewers, I did not find this noise endearing in the slightest.

Reception staff were very nice and helpful but at the same time very stoic, as unfortunately they weren’t able to relocate the hotel (or the seals) just for me. I asked if the current noise level dropped at night and was told maybe a little, but not much. She did suggest earplugs or that I have the ac unit on at night (as apparently other guests had found this did the trick). I politely declined the advice and requested any room other than at the back of the hotel and was given a lovely room facing the front, where there was only the relatively blissful traffic noise from the very busy main road.

Superb, spacious room (2 queen-size beds) with separated lounge area by the window. Good size bathroom with wash basin/vanity unit in the actual bedroom. Clean, well decorated and furnished. Fast free wifi, coffee, fridge, microwave, TV, hairdryer and iron.

The noise level from traffic curtailed during the night (not sure about the seals out the back) and my sleep wasn’t disturbed too much. Buffet breakfast was good with plenty of fresh fruit.

Room Tip: Depends which type of noise you prefer - seals or traffic
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Houston Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We selected this hotel because of the Tripadvisor reviews, and as usual, it led us to exactly the place for us to stay. We were greated by the the very helpful desk clerk who told us everything we needed to know about the area and things to see and do an eating establishments. Even gave us print outs of restaurants, sights, and antique stores. As we drove around to the side to enter the building, my husband says "you are going to love this!" I had no idea what he was talking about. As I got out of the car, I hear "bark, bark, bark, bark, bark..." from Sea Lions! How wonderful. They are hunkered down at the piers that are within walking distance. Our room was on that far end and yes, we could hear them, but it was not a problem for us. Weather is kind of warm so we had windows closed and A/C running. We did walk down to see our unexpected friends. Our slumber was understurbed. Breakfast in the morning was disappointing. Coffee is VERY weak. They had toast, gravy, biscuits, cerials, assorted pastries, some type of egg product...the usual for free breakfast. Not what I wanted, so we went and ate @ Pigs & Pancakes. Get your gas @ Safeway....lowest prices there and right next door. I would recommend this place to all.

Room Tip: When booking ask them to place you away from Sea Lions if you think their barking might be a problem...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Kourtney Scott
Front Office Manager
503-325-2000
Eugene
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This motel, located in Astoria, Oregon, offers the standard, cookie-cutter motel accommodations that this chain reliably provides. Breakfast is included in the room rate, but it too is standard fare, only passably edible. The pool is oddly placed, with windows looking in from the front lobby and the breakfast room. Management should consider putting up window blinds or curtains so pool-users will not be on display. We appreciated the guest laundry facilities. Next door to gas station and Safeway.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

I also would like you to know that I am informing the General Manager on your comment about the pool windows. I know that we have them there for security purposes. Meaning, the staff on duty can make sure that guests are safe in the pool at all times without having to walk into the pool area, also so that we can all around keep the guests safe by watching the pool doors, other guests, children, just all around monitoring guests in the pool area so everyone is safe.

Lewisburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here while in town. The hotel was very nice and right on the river. Room was very clean and beds were comfortable. Breakfast was also good. No complaints at all. Everyone that worked there was very nice and helpful. Make sure to check out the sea lions that hang out on the docks behind the hotel.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Comfort Suites Columbia River? Share your experiences!