“Close, but no cigar!” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ocala, Florida
“Close, but no cigar!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I a frequent traveler, I am probably a little more demanding of the hotels and restaurants I encounter, but I am fair in my assessments. During a recent trip to Jacksonville I opted to try the Crowne Plaza instead of where we normally stay and although it was a good experience, they lack some refinements that would cause me to return. The hotel itself is very well appointed for a building of its age, the staff was very friendly and accommodating and the location was optimum for what we had planned for the weekend. Where they fell short were the refinements, such as our room had two full size beds and at my height meant my feet hung off the bed. In their defense, I did not request a king size, but had no idea the alternative would be a full. The hotel was booked and they could not move us, but again the staff was very gracious in telling me they could not help. The other standout thing is there were no counters in the bathroom. The decor was very handsome, but not functional, I had to remove towels from their storage area to put my toiletry bag. This property can be worthy of a higher rating if they just pay attention to details a little more.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Riverfront Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Elgin C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room layout prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Rockingham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

When we arrived at the hotel, we were given a room overlooking the parking lot and dumpsters; however, I had a copy of our reservation that specifically had a riverfront view. After a short wait, this was corrected and from that moment we had a very pleasant visit. We ate at the hotel restaurant for lunch and it was very good. We had dinner at Ruth's Chris and can say we had the best steak ever! Our porter, Nik, stayed with us while we were correcting our reservation mixup. He was so kind and understanding. I hope he will rise up in the ranks at the Crowne; he is so talented in interpersonal relationships. Thank you, Nik! Thanks also to all the staff at the Crowne.

Room Tip: If you want a riverfront room don''t settle for less.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
JAXcare, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Riverfront Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with fellow travelers. I apologize for the mix-up in the room you reserved, but I’m happy to hear we were able to rectify the situation to your satisfaction. It’s great to hear your stay was pleasant and you enjoyed the hotels dining options. Your kind words will be celebrated with Nik as well! We are honored to have him play such a vital role on our team! We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

The front desk person was extremely helpful and friendly; however, the hotel didnt make a good impression overall. An older building that isnt at the level of Crowne Plaza. Rooms appear unappealing and rundown, and the location doesnt seem to be very safe.
The restaraunt is horrible, I waited for 15 minutes in an empty restaraunt and waitress just ignored me while she enjoyed a conversation with someone she knew; naturally, I left.
IHG Platinums get free parking and breakfast; however, I would rather drive further away to get a better place or stay at the Hyatt across the river.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms are way better than street view,
Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Diogenes,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. It’s great to hear you found the front desk to be helpful and friendly. Your experience in the restaurant is unacceptable and I apologize you didn’t have the opportunity to dine with us. This will be brought to the attention of our food & beverage director to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Please know that your additional concerns are being addressed in a top to bottom renovation of the hotel. We are currently over 50% complete with the reinvention of our guest rooms. Please reach out to me should your travels bring you back to Jacksonville. I would love to have the opportunity to host you again so that you may experience our enhancements.

florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Jax Riverfront this past weekend for 2 nites. I have stayed at other IHG chains. The Crowne Plazas are supposed to be at the top of the line, above the Staybridge, Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express.

This hotel wasn't bad, it was just a bit disappointing. We booked a standard room and it was small, smaller than a standard sized room at a Holiday Inn Express! It did NOT have a fridge, not even a dorm size one. Really? Staying at a top of the line hotel (supposedly) and not even a small fridge to put drinks in the room?

I am unsure how well our room had been cleaned after the last guest. We found a half filled out card to request room service between the mattress and the headboard of one of the beds.

The bathroom was undersized as well, with very very little counter space to put toiletries on. The water pressure in the shower was decent, though.

The internet access in the room was ok, not great, and the rooms were definately lacking in outlets. In this day and age, when almost everyone has devices that need to be charged, again, there is no excuse for lack of wall outlets!

But the worst part about this hotel was the way sound carried into the rooms from the halls and other rooms. We were awakened in the middle of the nite both nites by guests talking, as they were going to their rooms. We could hear the people above us walking around, and the people next to us talking. This hotel needs some sound proofing upgrades!

On a positive note, the hotel staff was very nice, check in and out was easy and the front desk folks were cheerful and efficient.

We stayed here to attend my daughter's law school graduation and had others that came in from out of town as well. I choose this hotel due to the normally good reputation of IHG hotels, however, if I have the need to stay in downtown Jax again, I would probably choose another hotel.

I was VERY unimpressed with this one.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Pandorra,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your kind words on our cheerful and efficient staff. I apologize we fell short of your additional expectations. We never want our guests to leave feeling disappointed. We will address your review with our housekeeping and maintenance teams. Please know the majority of your concerns are currently being addressed in our renovation plan. We are over 50% complete with our renovation and hope to have an opportunity to host you again in the future. Please reach out to me should your travels bring you back to Jacksonville. We hope you will experience the drastic difference during a future stay with us.

Jamesville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

We came here for our 25th anniversary and savored every minute of the experience. We only wish we could have stayed longer. The view was breathtaking, the room was amazing, the service superb and incredibly friendly and helpful. Dinner at Ruth Chris'a overlooking the River was beyond words. Everything was perfect and there is no rating high enough to fully describe our experience. Thank you, Crowne Plaza! We'll be back!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Greenwood, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

This hotel is perfectly located on the southern bank of the St John River, right across from downtown Jax! The staff was friendly and helpful in all respects! When our door lock battery gave up the ghost, maintenance was there in just a few minutes and took care of everything quickly. Housekeeping was great (and left us lots of regular coffee every day)! The room was spacious, clean and the bed was quite comfortable. Self park was comp'd as part of our group reservation but it is normally $10/day.
So why four stars and not five? No refrigerator, no microwave. Small bathroom - pretty but cramped - one at a time for sure. Internet slow and poor signal on upper floors. Noise from waterfront construction - especially for our friends who had riverfront rooms.
We would come back here for sure but there is room for improvement.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed this Hotel. Had our US Navy ships reunion there. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.
They are upgrading the Hotel . Looks like they are halfway through. My room was a older one .it was a little dated, but it was very clean and roomy. They need room safes and some kind of shuttle arrangement to and from the airport. Great location and great views. All in all I found it to be a very good hotel and yes I would go back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Riverfront Hotel? Share your experiences!