“Nice local and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #65 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Nice local and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed for three nights on business. Was ok but hotel is really showing it's age. I gave the 4 stars due to the awesome view of the river front from my room. The helpful and nice staff made a difference too. So make sure to get a river side room. They are starting a major remodel of the hotel and the boardwalk so should be nicer place by the fall.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I had made reservations to stay here over the weekend. After reading all the horrible reviews on this site, I wanted to cancel my reservation. I called the 800 number and it rang over 20 times before someone answered. I asked to speak to a manager and the girl said they were all in a meeting and I had to call back in an hour. I chatted with someone online and cancelled my reservation. I was informed that I would lose the total amount of the money for the entire weekend as I pre-paid and received a better day rate. I told them to go ahead, I would inform my credit card company not to pay. I have never in my life experience such awful customer service. Would never stay here!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
JAXcare, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Riverfront Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
We realize plans change, so we offer a variety of rate options to allow our guests to choose the rate plan that works best for them. Our “best flexible rate” allows a guest to book our least restrictive publicly available rate. Changes and cancellations can be made without any penalty up until 24-hours prior to arrival. For guests who know their plans are solid and want to stretch their travel dollars, we allow you to lock in great special savings by booking early and purchasing your stay in advance. The reservation requires full prepayment and is non-refundable. These options, along with others, are available on our website or by phone and full rate details are provided at the time the reservation is made. I’m sorry to hear we were not able to host you so that you could experience our hotel first hand. We wish you safe and happy travels in the future.

Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is an older full service hotel from the 80s that is undergoing updates to turn it into a Crown Plaza. Unfortunately, they are not pulling it off. There are a whole lot of small details that aren't being addressed. Beyond my disappointment with the poorly executed renovations, I was shocked that they do not offer any amenities for Platinum tier reward members - no upgrades, no executive floor, charged for parking, charged for breakfast. This hotel falls well below what I have come to expect from the CP brand standard.

Unless the downtown location is paramount to your trip, explore other options!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
JAXcare, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Riverfront Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
I apologize we fell short of your expectations during your stay with us. I would love to hear additional feedback to understand what we can improve upon during our renovation. Feedback from our guests allows us to improve upon our property and guest offerings. I hope to hear from you soon and thank you in advance for your time.

Topeka, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I have to say that the entire staff was very friendly and always willing to assist. It was apparent that many seemed over tasked but doing everything they could with a smile on there face.
The room was nice and clean. My only com ain't is the water in the shower. The temperature could change drastically in an instant.
The location is across the river from most shopping and dining establishments but just across the bridge and you are there.
Breakfast was nice but a really small dining room. I would not want to try and get breakfast on a morning where they are busy.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the excellent feedback regarding our friendly staff, clean room, and location. We appreciate your comments and hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

This hotel seems like a Holiday Inn Express trying to disguise itself as 4 star hotel - but it failed!

It is the combination of things that differentiates a 4 to 5 star hotel from a poor hotel. Here are just a few examples of the issues we encountered:
(1) The rooms are tiny - maybe the smallest room I have stayed in in the US. Bathroom was the size of a cruise ship bathroom. What makes this so bad is that the hotel is undergoing a renovation and we had one of the newly innovated rules. The last Holiday Inn Express I stayed in had rooms that were are least 50% larger,
(2) The shower dribbles water out.
(3) Bedside lamps are such low wattage that you could not read in the bed.
(4) We came back to our room the first day at 4:15 and the room had not been cleaned, When the staff showed up at 4:30 we sent them away because we had to get ready for a wedding. Each day after, we went to the front desk and asked for an early cleaning.
(5) We did valet parking but about half the time we parked ourselves because there was no valet anywhere to be seen - even after we waited 5-10 minutes.
(6) Because of a 6 hour drive and a wedding event at 3:00, we called in advance and asked about getting an early check-in. They said we needed to call when we were on the road. We called at 7:00AM and they indicated the room would be available at 12:30. We called again at 12:00 to confirm and they said it would be 1:00 for early check-in. We arrived at 1:00 and were told there were no rooms available. I noted the two calls we had made and the front desk manager said that they not not received ANY calls from us (basically calling me a liar). I pulled out my cell phone and showed her the two calls. She then got rude and said that was not a guaranty and she could not tell me when a room would be available. I asked if it would be 20 minutes or 3 hours and she refused to give me any time when I could get into a room. She appeared irritated that I was being insistent. I asked to speak to the hotel manager and miraculously within 5 minutes the front desk manager told me a room was available! Never saw the hotel manager.
(7) Food in their cafe, particularly the breakfast buffet was horrible. Eggs were dried out, fruit was not fresh. Bacon was underdone.
(8) No newspapers delivered to your room, but your could pick them up downstairs - except on weekends when none were available.
(9) Lot of construction noise early in every morning.
(10) No safe to lock your valuables in - we had to carry them with us when we left the room.
(11) The doors to the hallway are not properly insulated - we heard every conversation in the hallway ALL NIGHT LONG!

The positives: If you get a room on the riverside it is a nice view - but there are nicer hotels for a similar cost with similar views.

Room Tip: If you stay here (which I go not recommend) get a river side room as high up in the hotel as possib...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
JJ,

I appreciate the detailed review and I apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. We never want our guests to leave our home dissatisfied. We take all of your feedback seriously and will have a meeting with our management team to address these inadequacies in order to improve upon our services. Should your travels bring you back to Jacksonville, I hope to have the opportunity to host you again. Please contact me directly so that I can ensure you have a proper stay with us.

Portsmouth, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Well I have to say that I was excited at first about the weekend. My husband and I were in town to celebrate our anniversary and check out NAS Jax. After a 5hr drive we arrived, tired and ready to relax a bit. While we waited for our room to be ready, we enjoyed cocktails with the very pleasant bartender. After a 20 minute wait, we headed to the 5th floor still excited and tired. The door to the room was peeling badly. That was a very bad sign!
My husband had gotten a special package which included a river cruise along with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries on check-in. When I walked in the room the goodies were laid out beautifully but the room was terrible! The bed was hard and looked like something out of great grandmother's house she purchased in the 70's. It was terrible and my husband was not happy about his bang-less buck. He called downstairs and told the ladies that he was very disappointed in the state of the room and we wished to checkout. So after they charged back to the card, we left. We ended up checking in somewhere not on the river but they had a comfy soft bed! If you don't mind a paying too much for a hard bed, dated room then you'll be just fine.

Room Tip: We were told that 7th floor and above have been renovated.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing our hotel to for your anniversary. I appreciate the kind words regarding your experience in the lounge. It’s disheartening the rest of your time with us was less than satisfactory and I apologize we fell short of your expectations. We’re 50% complete with our renovations and are forging ahead at a rapid pace to complete our drastic enhancements. Please contact me directly should your travels bring you back to Jacksonville as we would like to prove that your experience was an aberration and not the norm.

Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The staff cannot help the renovations. They were amazingly pleasant. But five attempts by the poor overworked maintenance staff to fix our toilet (and one bad flooding incident, which, before I could turn off the water to the toilet, flooded the bathroom below through their vent fan), we were finally moved to another room. We very apprehensively flushed that toilet, and it worked fine and did so for the rest of our stay. It was 11 pm before they conceded we needed another room. Our first room had been cosmetically renovated with excellent taste, but, honestly, you can make it as pretty as you want, but if you can't use the bathroom, pretty doesn't matter. I hope the plumbing issues are temporary--several others attending the conference with us had similar, though less dire, plumbing issues.
The rooms are roomy, the beds were comfy, and loved having a balcony (both rooms had balconies). The housekeeping staff were the greatest---efficient and thorough and delightful in personality. We ate in the hotel cafe and at the in-house Ruth's Chris, and both experiences were great.
The riverfront rooms offer a beautiful view--expansive view of the river, the bridges and the skyline, but if you want to sleep late, warning: the river walk is being worked on currently and the construction noise was significant, but they usually did not start until around 8 am and they ended at 5 pm. I am sure this is temporary.
The hotel's exterior is very dated and tired looking. I think they are almost finished with the interior renovations, so don't judge a book by its cover. It is lovely once inside . . .as long as your toilet flushes.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms have a beautiful view, but check on construction schedule. Ask about plumbing issue...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Riverfront Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Soccermom844,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. We would like to apologize for the experience you had with your room accommodations and the exterior part of our hotel was less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Riverfront Hotel? Share your experiences!