“Bad Day on the St. John's River” 1 of 5 stars

Save up to 25%
Ranked #65 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Altamonte Springs, Florida
“Bad Day on the St. John's River”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

It was a bad stay. While watch a football game I heard a sound behind me and looked up to see the vinyl wall covering peel off the wall by itself. Come to find that behind the wall covering the drywall was wet and also filled with black mold blooms indicating to the vapor barrier effect that vinyl wall covering in preventing outside moisture from entering a conditioned space but trapping the moisture on the drywall surface inside the room. Vapor needs to be stopped before it enters the conditioned side of the room preferably on the exterior prior to penetrating the insulation.

Difficult that this knowledge has been around for at least 10 to 15 years but this hotel or any hotels within this corporate setting has done anything about keeping the safety of its customers tantamount to maintaining a successful business.

I was moved to another room on a different floor with the same problem and thew mold and mildew odors were pervasive throughout the building.

I thought it would be a nice gesture to have a couple of nights free to get me to be a customer but that did not happen which proves my point that the big business, of any kind, is only interested a public sacrifice in profit; the sole contributor to the economic destruction of this country, by them proving my point.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk have the vinyl wall covering has been removed from the walls within the last mont...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
KerryBoat, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Riverfront Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry your experience was not up to par with our normal standards. We don’t typically hear complaints of mold or musty smells, so I assure you this was an aberration and certainly apologize. I am happy to report that as I type this, we are currently working on the first phase of a complete renovation of our guest rooms – this will include removing the wallpaper and installing knock-down walls in its place. This will prevent any such issues from occurring in the future. I certainly hope that we have the opportunity to host you again so that you can experience the exciting changes.

904.398.8800

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Orange Park, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I am very disappointed with my recent experience with this hotel.
It was around 10:00pm on a saturday (11-17-12) night, but I will admit that the group of 10-15 of us in the room was a bit loud. We were celebrating the wedding of our very good friends and the excitement was contagious. Some people even came from other states to be here, and had rented rooms of their own in the hotel. Apparently, there was a noise complaint. We are not, however, a rude or inconsiderate group of people. If we had been asked to keep it down, we would have happily complied, and even offered an apology for disrupting anyone. This was not how this situation was handled.
The security guard knocked on the door and from the moment the door was opened, he was rude, overbearing, and attempted to intimidate everyone in the room. The first thing he said was “You got to be kiddin me, I just got on duty, yal got to be kiddin me”. When someone asked if there was a problem he said there was a noise complaint and he could “already see I’m gonna have to come back up here and kick yal out”. He turned to leave then changed his mind and turned back to ask who the owner of the room was. The room owner answered, “I am” to which I added, “She is the bride” and someone else added “they just got married”. This information was offered up as a way to inform the guard we weren’t being malice or hateful, we were just caught up in the excitement and happy for our friends. The security guard then asked to see her ID, so he’d know “who to kick out when I come back with the cops”. I inquired if he thought that might be a bit dramatic, to which he stated “No, if yal want to have a party you need to rent a room or go to the landing like everyone else”. (The ‘rent a room’ part obviously made no sense, but no one bothered to pointed that out. Didn’t we already rent a room? Didn’t the bride and groom contract 10 rooms for them and their guests?) The bride then inquired if it was necessary, since her information was on the paperwork with the front desk. The security guard stated yes, looked at her ID, said “Ok, (name of bride), so I know who to tell the cops about when I come back to kick yal out”. Obviously, it was unnecessary because her name was on the room and that was just another intimidation tactic; used against the smallest person in the room, by the way.
This entire situation was not only unnecessary, but completely unprofessional. I cannot image how lax the process must be if this, disagreeable, domineering, bad-mannered person passed the employment screening. He obviously has no people skills nor does he care for the policy on customer service, and he is allowed to represent this company? I understand that a security guard should generally be someone who can be verbally and physically intimidating, when necessary, but that is not the first step. I believe step one is, to diffuse the situation to avoid confrontation, unless the policy states he should be a bully, which I doubt. All he did was upset the bride almost to tears, and make her new husband and all his lifelong friends mad. If I was in trouble at this hotel, he would be the last person I’d go to help for, which, I believe, is another one of his duties
That man needs either retraining or a new position that does not involve working with customers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for informing us of the issues you experienced with the security officer. First, please accept my most sincere apologies to you and your group. The behavior you described is unacceptable and not indicative of how our customer service culture is. We will speak with the security officer and take the appropriate actions to correct this behavior. If you are able, please provide me with the bride and grooms contact information so that we can personally apologize to them as well. Thank you once more for calling this to our attention so that we can prevent this situation from happening again. I hope that we have the opportunity to host you again in the future so that we may provide a better experience.

Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The room is very small -- that's the only downside of this hotel.It is a basic room with not much space for anything else.
The hotel is located on the river with some great views -- request the riverview side. The other option is a city view.
Walk across the drawbridge--its a fun experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I’m happy you found the river views and area to be fantastic! We do offer a variety of room types, including standard, suites, and presidential suites – all of which vary in size should you require a larger room in the future. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future and wish you happy and safe travels!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

If you want to have a great view, a cheap room rate, a great steak dinner, horrible room service, very loud guests, expensive parking and horrible service you should stay here. Every weekend it's crazy football fans making lots of noise at all hours, including the ones "tired from working you" wants to rest/sleep.
Stayed there for a month and will avoid if possible next time.
Oh and you will be woken up even if you don't want to! Room service knocks and yells so hard a bear would wake up.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m glad you found the views, affordable rate, and our onsite Ruth’s Chris Steak House to be enjoyable. We do primarily host business travelers during the week, but on the weekends a more leisure traveler and I apologize the football fans were a bit rowdy on the weekend. Please feel free to e-mail me any additional details you may have so that I can work with our team to make improvements for future guests.

Park Ridge, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We rented two fooms for two nights in July. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The common areas were were very clean. The rooms were clean but dated. I must say this Crown Plaza was in pretty rough shape, it was showing its age. The balconies on the river front did afford wonderful views in the day and night.

The overall location was ok . The riverwalk was lovley and the hotel is walking distance from the MOSI. The river taxi stops right in front of the hotel. The trip on the river to the other side was very nice. The pool was very big and in a wonderful location.

On the down side. Homeless people were wandering around and laying on the docks and walkways ( This probably cant be helped due to the downtown Jacksonville location). The unsecured parking did not give me much peace of mind because of the previous issue. The resturant staff could definately benefit from some additional training. The final thing that made our stay unpleasant was a family reunion of people that apparently never stayed at a hotel before and had no concept of common courtesy. Drunken hollering and doors slammimg went on till 3 in morning.

A nice older hotel, with beautiful riverfront views. Could definately use more visible security and some additional staff training.

Room Tip: Try to get a riverfront room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback! I’m thankful for your kind words about the friendly and helpful front desk team and clean accommodations throughout the hotel. Customer service and clean facilities are two of our top priorities. It’s also great to hear your enjoyed the views and location of our hotel as well. I will certainly discuss your additional feedback with our team as we continually look for ways to improve. We are excited to announce that we just began phase one of a floor by floor renovation of the hotel. I’d love to host you again in the future to show off our new look and amenities.

Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Decent rooms. The perk to this hotel is Ruth's Chris is attached. This was the primary reason to booking this hotel and it was close to the convention center. I guess that I'm spoiled, but I wish the rooms were updated more, considering it IS the Crowne Plaza in the year 2012.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing the great photos. We’re excited to currently be renovating our guest rooms floor by floor and will be offering a completely refreshed experience in the near future. The next time you’re in the mood for a sizzling steak from Ruth’s Chris, we hope to be able to show off this new look!

Lexington, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This has to be the friendliest staff that I have ever dealt with. They are so kind, courteous and attentive to every person that walks through their doors. If I could rate this higher than a 5 star I would do so. We were there for a Navy reunion called the Vapper's and the staff really rolled out the red carpet to these Viet Nam Vet's. We were well respected and well treated. Hope to have the opportunity to stay here again. Easy to find and close to beaches and airport (about 20 min)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the glowing review! We host many Navy reunions each year and our military reunion groups hold a very special place in our hearts! I’m happy you found our team to be so friendly and attentive. We thank you for your service and look forward to hosting you and your fellow veterans in the future.

904.398.8800

Been to Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Riverfront Hotel? Share your experiences!