“Overnight! This Was A Good Spot!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4675 Salisbury Road, Jacksonville, FL 32256   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #29 of 131 hotels in Jacksonville
Atlanta, GA
“Overnight! This Was A Good Spot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was never a fan of the Holiday Inn brand. An experience years and years ago, with a hotel in Tampa, where I found something crawling in the bed in multiple quantities, that should have been crawling in the streets outside, was the one thing to push me to review hotels that I stay in.

However, the Holiday Inn Express experiences I have had, so far have been good. This was no exception. Went to Daytona Beach for some sun and waves and ran into the roaring sounds of bike week. Unfortunately this distraction caused me to lose track of time and I missed my return flight out of Jacksonville, FL. Having to find a hotel quickly in Jacksonville for the night, I used Hotels.com, Priceline, Kayak and more trying to get a $50 room near the JAX airport. No luck, so I took a chance on a Priceline Express deal, near Butler Blvd, because I was familiar with the street and knew most hotels there were at least mid-grade, catering to the corporate businesses nearby.

Hotel:
The hotel is little hard to see from the highway. Exit off of I-95 and make two rights and you will find it nestled within a complex of office buildings and similar quality hotels.
Although parts of the parking lot were a little bit dark, the grounds outside seemed decent and the building looked in good condition.

Lobby:
Stepping into the lobby you get a shot of vivid colors, all the way into the dining room area, like someone got extra happy with the blue paint. But it okay, not too garish! There is a breakfast area, with service that starts around 6 or 7am. With a 530am flight, I didn't get to use it.

Staff:
The young lady on duty, Saturday night, the 16th was friendly, cordial and had a good attitude.

Room:
It was a very decent size, not too big or too small. The carpet was kind of vivid like the one in the hallway. Wallpaper, furniture and seating surfaces all appeared to be well maintained. Unlike many hotel rooms, where I can't seem the get the heating system to warm up adequately, this system had the room nice and toasty for me.

Noise level of the heating system was very good and I heard absolutely no sound from the neighbors.

Bathroom:
Was long and deep, if this is the same type of bathroom that one gets for a person with disabilities, then is quite good for a person needing to move about with assistance or a wheelchair.
Facilities, surfaces, wallpaper and tub/shower seemed alright and I saw no signs of water damage or rust of any kind.

Bed:
Man that bed was huge, but as tired as I was I could have slept on something three feet wide. It was quite comfortable. The four hours of sleep I got was actually very good.

There are some events that happen in Jacksonville during the spring and summer, I plan to put this hotel on my list as a good choice for a future stay.

Oh yes, they do have wi-fi at the hotel and they provide you a code when you check-in.

Location:
As I indicated this hotel is very close to I-95, the major thoroughfare going north and south. However, there are not any restaurants that I know of within this hotel / business office grouping. If you go just half a mile on the other side of the expressway, on Butler Blvd West, that is where you will find restaurants that cater to their area. Cracker Barrel and Applebees' are two that I know of.

Bottomline:
Although I had no intention of staying overnight in Jacksonville, then was a nice hotel that I stumbled upon.

Attached are a few photos that I took before passing out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
RiinaK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great and detailed review about us and taking the pictures. I am sure other readers are also appreciating your time, we sure are. We are always happy when guest see the details and we really loved your writing. Thank you!

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lockport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My family stayed here one night en route to a few weeks in the Tampa area and Disney. We arrived late with no reservation and the place was pretty full. The very friendly gal at the front desk said they only had limited rooms but when I told her I had 3 toddlers, my wife and myself she upgraded us to a family suite with 2 double beds with a pullout. All this at no extra cost ! I have AAA and am also a govt. employee but not sure if this really mattered. The room was spacious and clean. We had plenty of room and the kids really enjoyed the extra space. Beds were comfy, sheets were clean, bathrooms were clean. The place was in the middle of replacing every rug in the place so there was a little of that brand new rug smell but hey ! I'll take a new, clean rug over a stale, old smelly one any day ! We did the usual express type breakfast with the eggs, sausage, biscuit/gravy meal. The dining area was spacious but the place was very busy. Seating was limited but we found a table. We were only there for about 10 hours total but had no complaints and would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Every year we have volleyball teams that travel to Jacksonville for a tournament and I have used this hotel for three years in a row now. The sales staff is wonderful to work with to get everything set up for the players and the parents, the hotel staff is very accommodating and our families love this hotel. They ask to go back again next year!
Denise Corrigan
A5 Volleyball Club
Travel Coordinator

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
RiinaK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you so much Ms. Corrigan! We really appreciate your kind words and your business! Looking forward to working with you again in the future!
Riina King
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here on a recent road trip to Ft Lauderdale. It was a nice over night stay. The staff were able to hold my room for late check in and were kind enough to meet my request when I called them. The hotel is in a nice area and my GPS guided me to the property with no problems. It is a no frills Holiday Inn Express but the value of it and the location for me made it a perfect stop to rest. The one problem I had with my check-in had to do with the room I was given. It is a non-smoking hotel but the room as soon as you opened the door smelled like a smokey bar. Promptly called the front desk asking for another room and they quickly reassigned me with no problems. Friendly and helpful staff. I would recommend staying here and would consider staying here again if I have travel plans in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments about our hotel. I am glad that you found us easy. We are a no smoking hotel and I am sorry to hear that your first room did not smell fresh. We are trying different ways to recover the rooms that have been smoked in. I am glad that we had another room for you to move to that you were happy with.
Again, we thank you for your time and I hope you had a great trip to Ft. Lauderdale!
flo-ida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend (feb. 9) I find myself booking these middle range hotels more and more these days because of all the little extras you receive..i was not dissapointed here!

at check in (very quick and efficient) we were surprised with an upgrade to a suite-which is a bit larger than a standard double-it has a small living area and a wet bar area with mini fridge and microwave/coffee. A nice surprise. The room isnt fancy really, but quite clean and fairly new, the carpet actually looks very new throughout the hotel.

the bedding was very nice, a white sheet set, two pillows each and a duvet. flat screen tv is shared between the bed area and the living area. the bathroom is sparing, clean white, standard tub. decent towels.

my kids and husband went to breakfast in the morning down in the lobby, and had omelettes and pancakes etc. said it was busy. decent coffee and juice. the elevator was a little rickety and i couldnt even find the stairs as an alternative. i imagine if the hotel is super busy it would be a long wait. also, this hotel is pet friendly, but i didnt smell anything bad. however i did hear someones dog barking for about 10 minutes in the early morning..ugh.

one thing to note: this hotel is located amongst a cluster of hotels and corporate looking buildings right off the highway, there is no grocery, gas station or even mcd's in the immediate area. you have to get on 95 to go anywhere. we ended up finding a dominoes online and they did deliver with no issues. also, because its kind of away from the town, its very safe feeling-i didnt see any weirdos.

all in all a very nice standard hotel, with free internet, free parking, free nice breakfast, and nice employees. easy access to the highway, on the road to the beach, few minutes south of downtown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville South while traveling for work, and this is a low-cost hotel which meets every basic need. The rooms were perfectly spacious and very clean - I believe that the hotel is only a couple of years old, so not a lot of wear & tear or anything like that. Bedding was clean and comfortable. I had some difficulty with the temperature in the room - trying to get it to the right temperature was a little difficult, but not really that big of a deal. On both mornings I missed out on breakfast as I had to start work quite early but it looked like a fine place for a bite to eat. Even the pool looked pretty good (though I didn't have time to use that either!).

Room Tip: I would ask to stay at the end of a corridor, there was some noise from people walking around in the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Traveler104,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding cleanliness.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the air conditioning. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Darwen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The hotel is very easy to find, just off the I95, convenient for the city. It is the usual quality for the Holiday Inn Express, nice and quiet and with the free breakfast. Just the job for a business trip to Jacksonville!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South? Share your experiences!