“The Good and the Not so Good.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #53 of 131 hotels in Jacksonville
Savannah, GA
“The Good and the Not so Good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I just spent two days at this hotel. I do not remember when I was so pleased and disappointed at the same time.
The Good: The staff was great, beginning with a positive check in when I asked for a room on the first floor to accommodate two bicycles. We needed to wait 30 minutes but were given a room near the end of a side door making it easy to bring the bikes in each day. That was really helpful. The room and bathroom was very clean. The large shower head a nice choice. The beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. There was a nice flat screen TV with plenty of channels. The room was quiet. The price was reasonable.
The Not so Good: The coffee maker (a keurig which I thought was a nice touch) had a mind of its own and brewed cold coffee. The air conditioning unit cover was not secure to the wall as I found out when I brushed against it during the night. We used the side door to exit in and out and saw the same cigarette butts by the door for more than a day before I asked the front desk if they could get someone to clean it up. They did. It suggests that no one was checking though. We left the room the first day at 9 am and returned about 3:30 to find that the cleaning staff had not yet reached us to straighten the room. Not enough help? The place didn't seem too busy. Finally the room keys worked fine to get in and out the side doors but would not open the room door. I replaced the keys but the problem continued throughout the weekend. I suspect it was the door but others on the hallway were experiencing the same problem.
Despite the issues I would stay at this property again if more attention is given to the details of making someone's stay hassle free. It really is a nice location and convenient to most things in the Jax area,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaJAX, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
It is with great regret and concern that we received your review detailing the many mishaps that you experienced with our hotel. I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire hotel staff. We understand your disappointment and appreciate the inconvenience this must have caused you.

There is no question that the service did not meet the very high standards our customers have come to expect and should continue to demand. In our effort to improve the overall quality of our service, I have met with the immediate department heads and can assure you that we have addressed each issue.

I can promise you that the highest quality standards will be met in the future because protecting our reputation in the market is a key priority for us. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused as a result.

152 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
MERCER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We spent 4 nights here with a fairly large group. We had breakfast every morning at the Savannah restaurant. Smorgasbord style breakfast with eggs cooked to order and omelets. There is no fridge in the room but I think you can request one because a gentleman in our group had insulin he needed to keep refrigerated. There also was not a luggage rack to put your suitcase up. Other than that, everything was great. Did not use the pool or gym.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your stay. Our breakfast buffet is awesome!

Most full service hotels do not have microwaves and refrigerators in their rooms. You will typically find this at a limited service hotel because they do not have bars and restaurants on property However we do have them available for rental of $10.00 each,

Again, thank you and we hope to you guys again in the near future.

Marke Kane, General Manager

USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My friend and I were flying out of Jacksonville airport EARLY in the morning so we booked this hotel for the night before. For just a few dollars a day (we already had a special booking rate from my employer) we could leave the car in their parking lot. The shuttle runs every 15 minutes and we just called when we returned and they came immediately to pick us up and return us directly to our car! The driver even put the luggage from the shuttle directly into the truck of our car! That's servce! :)
The hotel itself is lovely enough on the outside - a bit worn on the inside but folks were friendly and the room was clean. The air-conditioning was already ON in the room so it was cool when we got there. This may not sound like much but when it is HOT and LATE when you check in and get to your room for a short night's sleep anyway, having the room the right temp so you can go to sleep fast is a big deal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't open to the outside if you are a woman traveling by yourself (safety...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
CrownePlazaJAX, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your stay. Our staff takes great pride in our facility and we are glad that you recognize this. We, along with our guests, have enjoyed all the wonderful renovations that our owners have done.

We are happy you were able to utilize your company's rate however if anyone does not have that luxury we do offer Park and Fly package rates.

Again thank you for your comments and we appreciate your business.

Cockeysville, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

When my associate called the hotel to ask for a shuttle pick up at the airport, the agent answered very hurriedly "it's a wonderful day here at the Crowne Plaza. Can you please hold?" & immediately put him on hold without waiting for a response. Rude!

Then when the shuttle driver picked us up, my associate asked how much is it to take the bus downtown? The shuttle driver answered "I unno." That's it. No "I can check for you when we arrive at the hotel." Nothing. Just a blunt "I unno."

When we arrived at the hotel, I asked the front desk agent for a fridge. She informed me it's a $10 charge which I was more than happy to pay. I paid with cash. About 10 minutes in my room, I called the front desk if housekeeping can bring a razor with the fridge. I believe the agent's name was LaToya. I was in the middle of saying "hi. I'm the one who requested a fridge to my room. I was wondering if..." & then she immedately cut me off explaining I need to pay $10. Completely rude of her to cut me off, especially when I already paid.

• Stayed September 2013
CrownePlazaJAX, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We would like to apologize for the disappointing service that you received on your recent visit.

Please be assured, we take your comments seriously and that we will make every effort to see that the concerns you raised are addressed. We always strive to provide a wonderful experience, great service and a welcoming environment for our guests. When we fall short of that goal, we want to know about it. Thanks to feedback like yours, we can address problems quickly. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department heads who oversees this area and his management team, for review of your concerns.

Thanks again for contacting us. We appreciate your business and value your comments.

Avon, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Nice place to stay, friendly and helpful staff. Prompt van service to and from the airport. I like staying here and would recommend it and stay here again myself. I see reviews that they are remodeling, this must of started after I was there because I saw no disturbance. Indoor and outdoor pool and center bar with nice atmosphere if you like to drink.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We completed a $12 million dollar renovation 2 years ago. We are constantly doing upgrades and continued maintenance to keep on top of things but nothing major in the near future.

We appreciate your comments and I will share them with our staff. Again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Mark Kane
Douglas, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Great rate on this hotel due to my friend's veteran widow status....$80. Great customer service at the front desk and in the restaurant. In the lobby bar, not so much. Indoor and outdoor pool. Free breakfast in the restaurant was quite good...ordered not off the buffet. Convenient comfortable shuttle to the airport. It is a nonsmoking property though there are plenty of shady, covered areas outside for those that smoke. The bathroom showed a little age in the bathtub, but the room overall was just right for two. Beds were comfortable with plenty of pillow choices. Other than the lobby bartender, a great experience. Will use this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your nice review. We appreciate you taking the time out of your business schedule. I will share your comments with our stay and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Mark Kane
Live Oak, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This had always been our "go to" hotel to stay at the airport the night before we fly out. I called today to make a reservation and was told that they were in the process of becoming 100% smoke free, so smoking on the balcony would not even be allowed and there would be a $250 fine. Too bad, now we have to find another convenient airport hotel, we really did like this place.
I gave it one star because I feel this policy change is "terrible"

Room Tip: No more smoking rooms.
Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are in the process of changing our one smoking floor to non-smoking. We do not have as many smokers these days as we have had in the past.

We still have a limited number of smoking rooms available which are poolside now. Until we get the inventory updated in the systems please call the hotel directly to make any future reservations for a smoking room.

We apologize for any inconvenience and hope you decide to come back and stay with us again.

Mark Kane, General Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!