“They don't care about their customers” 1 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #37 of 131 Hotels in Jacksonville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tampa
“They don't care about their customers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and his brother stayed for three nights at this hotel. They were working overnight hours and therefore had to sleep during the day. The first morning they came back to sleep, they asked at the front desk if they could have late check-out on the third day. They were told that the management would have to check with housekeeping to see if that would work. Really??? Does housekeeping run the place? On the second morning, they asked again about getting late check-out and were told the same thing. On the third morning, when they needed the late check-out, they asked and were told they could stay an extra 30 minutes -- wow. If this is how they treat customers, we won't be staying with this chain again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ssjaxairportgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for your review. My apologies if your husband misunderstood our process of requesting a late checkout. The front desk has to check with the housekeeping manager, the day that the guest is requesting the late check out, not before. A late check out is a request that we try to accomodate based on our business and demands, it's not always possible, however we try to accomodate when we can.

Melissa Duncan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Booked this room with my rewards points we have stayed at other spring hill suites and have had good experiences. I think of this as an average hotel chain - clean decent place to stay. We were very pleasantly surprised at how nice this was. We stayed in a 2 Q suite. It has a very nice sitting area with a pull out sofa. A little area with a sink fridge and micro. A deprecate bathroom sink area and a large shower and toilet room. Friendly and accommodating staff. 24 hour coffee area. Great free breakfast. And a very nice pool. We would recommend this hotel to anyone and would definitely stay again

• Stayed July 2012
Weston, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We were looking for a clean hotel to spend a night off of I-95 on our travels back to FL. We read the reviews of this hotel, it mentioned being clean, and after seeing on the hotel site that they have rooms with 2 queen beds & a sofa bed (we are a family of 5 so this is necessary) and that the rate would be less than $100, we decided to book it. The hotel wasn't hard to find (we just followed our map on the phone) - it's just that it's on a side road that runs parallel to the main road. The hotel looked new from the outside. It's on a main strip that has many other hotels and also food options all around. We walked inside and I was pleasantly surprised with the decor. It looked like it had recently gone through a renovation. Very appealing. We went to our room and were immediately happy with the size and layout. As soon as you walk in, there is a couch and chair, a desk & another chair, and a wet bar area with fridge & microwave. Behind the wall where the desk sits is the main room with 2 queen beds, a good sized bathroom, and 2 ample closets.

The reason why I am not giving it 5 stars is for a few minor issues:
1. The headboards could be wiped down better.
2. The pillows were small squares as opposed to normal sized pillows.
3. The towels were rough.
4. The tv could have been slightly better situated so that both beds could view it. However it was viewable from one bed and the couch/desk area.
5. No fan in the bathroom.
6. The water pressure in the bathroom was poor. And the water was so soft. Takes forever to rinse!

The pros outnumbered the cons:
1. The room was very clean.
2. The bed spread was small and just looked like it was decorative only (we normally put them on the floor so this was easy to move to a chair).
3. The beds were very comfortable with soft sheets, duvet & comfy pillows (just wish they were bigger!) - the beds were so comfy that we slept past the breakfast time!
4. The bathroom was spacious with the sink area being separate from the toilet and shower area.
5. Large closets (2 of them).
6. Separate area for couch/sofa bed and desk for those that like to stay up later than the rest of the party.
7. The lobby was inviting and smelled clean.
8. The staff was pleasant.
9. The location was great - right off the highway, 1/2 mile from a great shopping area with plenty of restaurant choices (we tried Boston's and it was good).
10. The price was great for a clean room that comfortably fit the 5 of us.

We will definitely return here on our travels!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Swainsboro, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I have stayed there 3 times in the past year due to sickness and death in my family. I have been treated nicely by the staff. They have free breakfast. The rooms are nice. I requested allergy free room. They accommodated as close as possible by not using feathers in my room and air fresheners. I had early check-in and late check-out as a Marriott Rewards member. They are close to nice restaurants and mall. Also, they are close to the airport but you don't hear the planes. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: I always get one close to the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Overall a clean facility that is modernly decorated and with convenient access to the Jacksonville International Airport located only about 1 mile away. The hotel is next to restaurants such as Longhorn Steakhouse, and Zaxby's. There are a few other restaurants and gas stations within 1/2 -1 mile from hotel. If looking for other Marriott properties, there is a Fairfield and a Residence in very close by.

Hotel provides 24/7 shuttle service, however the service can be slow. When arriving by rental car, I requested a pickup at the airport after dropping the car off, only to wait 30 minutes before a young 'kid' (barely seemed old enough to have a license) showed up with the van. After 20 minutes of waiting (the hotel is only 1-1.5 miles from the terminal at best), I called back to request the transportation again and expressed that I had been waiting for 20 minutes already. By the time the 'kid' arrived, it was a total of a 25-30 minute wait (leads me to believe that he did not leave to come and pick me up until after a 2nd call to the hotel). He did apologize for the long wait and said he did not realize I had been waiting so long. The next morning I requested a 5:45AM pickup from the hotel to the terminal and that driver was ready at 5:40AM when I came downstairs which allowed me a grateful few extra minutes.

The room is spacious, especially since it was only me with a slightly divided room separate of the 'bedroom' area. There is a small 'butler's pantry' area with a small microwave and mini-fridge as well. It lives up to the name of being a 'suite', but there are some improvements that could be made. The towels were horribly thin and scratchy. These were by far the WORST in hotel towels aside from a 1-star facility. Definitely not compared to many other Marriott properties I've stayed (Fairfield, Courtyard, full-service Marriott, etc). I hope that for the sake of others, they will upgrade the towels! The room was lacking in attention by the cleaning staff with a dirty mug left near the coffee pot, only one drinking glass and a few other minor cleaning flaws. For this, I am only rating it a 3-star, less than I had originally felt when walking in the lobby door.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I travel frequently to Jacksonville. and decided to try several different hotel options in the area. This week, I stayed at this Springhill Suites for the first time. Overall, it is a nice facility- new, clean, reasonably priced and convenient to the airport.

The hotel is decorated in the newer Springhill Suites style- greens, yellows, whites- all very fresh and clean. The lobby includes a nice area of comfortable seats and tables you can use to work, and also doubles as the breakfast area. There is a small pantry selling frozen food and toiletries next to the reception desk.

Parking was free. The hotel appeared to be very full, but there was plenty of parking. I managed to spend some time in the gym. The gym was small, but contained a new treadmill and an elliptical machine. There is a small pool just outside of the gym.

The room was the standard living area separated by a small wall with an opening to the bedroom area. A tv in the middle can swivel to be seen from the bed or couch. The bathroom was clean, and included a combo tub/shower. There was a small microwave and fridge near the room entrance.

Wifi is free and seemed to work well on my laptop and IPad.

I often stay at the Aloft down the street, but for about the same price you get free breakfast at the Springhill Suites. The morning I was there, breakfast included eggs, sausage, toast, cereal and yogurt.

From the hotel, it is an easy walk to a few chain restaurants. The hotel is less than five minutes away by car.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My family just stayed here for one night awaiting a Carnival Cruise to the Bahamas. The hotel was nice, clean, and the staff were efficient and helpful. The room had two queen size beds plus a pull-out couch in a somewhat separate seating area. The room also had a small bar area. Bathroom was fairly standard and clean. The hotel has a free breakfast with a nice array of foods (cereals, make-your-own waffles, yogurt, danish, milk, juice, cofee, teas, fruit, etc.) The hotel also has a very modest business center with a computer and internet access, a decent work-out room with a couple of treadmills and an eliptical machine, and laundry facilities (washer/dryer). We had a leisurely morning since our cruise didn't depart until later in the afternoon and spent some time sitting around the pool - which was pretty standard, but nice. We had no complaints with the hotel or the service and the rate was very fair for the facilities. Note: in looking for the hotel we found that Google maps (which is the basis for our GPS system) defaults to Airport Terrace Drive - NOT Airport Court, which is where the hotel is actually located. Airport Terrace Drive is a small street with a few mobile homes located by a small "executive" airport, not Jacksonville International. The hotel staff were able to quickly redirect us when we found our mistake.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Jacksonville Airport? Share your experiences!