I've stayed at a ton of Jax hotels while my boyfriend was stationed there. I had stayed at this location once before and it was "okay." The past time, we checked in a little late (10:30pm?) and were given a SMOKING room (granted, it was through Priceline but every other time I have done it [20+], we've been given a King room no problem). I cannot even begin to tell you how awful of an experience it was. We were told they could not accommodate us with anything else because the hotel was booked up. Such BS. I was miserable the entire night and EVERYTHING reeked of smoke after leaving. It's not just the smoking floor, the elevators smell too. It's disgusting. The next night we were able to switch rooms. Again, just "okay." Smelled like chlorine though. We couldn't win this trip. Disappointing. AND fire alarm went off at 7am, really?! Honestly, pay the extra money and stay at the Courtyard Marriott or Fairfield Inn Marriott across the street - SO WORTH IT!!
If you're booking through Priceline, Make sure you call ahead to book a NS room. Avoid the rooms...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
November 8, 2012
I would like to take a moment of your time to respond to your comments. We value to opinions of all of our guests and I sincerely regret that your stay with us was not as pleasant as our staff would have liked for it to be for you.
Report response as inappropriate
As you mentioned, you booked through the online auction site, Priceline. While Priceline is a good venue to find discounted hotel rooms, they do purchase for their guests inventory that is distressed. If a hotel is in a sold out situation, such as our property was during your stay of November 1st and 2nd, there may only be a less desirable room type, such as a smoking room, available. Our front office staff always attempts to provide our guests with the choices they prefer and I would like to extend our apologies for not having a non-smoking room available during the first night of your stay. I know that as a non-smoker myself, smoke can seem to be overwhelming. Our housekeeping staff does a very commendable job in eliminating as much of the odor as possible but as we all know smoke is something that those who don't smoke can be extremely sensitive too. As you stated in your review, our team was able to relocated you the next day.
I also would like to apologize for the inconvenience of the fire alarm system disturbing your stay with us. However, the system function properly as it should as a life saving device. If the system receives an indication that there is a presence of smoke, or if an ill-intentioned person, pulls a fire station, the alarm is designed to activate and evacuate the building. Had it not functioned in the manner in which is should and a real emergency had been in effect, I'm sure you understand that the consequences of not evacuating would be very serious. And while we always want our guests to be comfortable and never inconvenienced, this was an issue that could not be avoided and I'm sure you will agree it was the proper action to take.
I understand that your significant other is stationed here in Jacksonville. Please allow me to thank both of you for your service to our Country. We greatly appreciate it. As you travel to Jacksonville often, I would like to have you as my guest in the future. I will be in touch with you via your method of communication provided at check in to make arrangements for a future stay when you visit Jacksonville.
Yours in hospitality
The BEST WESTERN Hotel Management Team
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.