“nice hotel except for the dogs in the elevator” 4 of 5 stars

Omni Jacksonville Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   245 Water St., Jacksonville, FL 32202   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #20 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Thomasville, Georgia
“nice hotel except for the dogs in the elevator”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was not aware that dogs were allowed here. I am not talking about dogs for medical reasons. A guest had two dogs here on leashes but they were still aggressive dogs, one was a big bulldog. I would not get in the elevator with these dogs either. With my luck, they were on my floor. I waited until the pet owner and his dogs went wildly down the hall before I went to my room. A hotel of this caliber should not allow dogs. That is my opinion. Otherwise, the location is great and the service was good. Another concern is the fire alarm went off and no one evacuated or took it seriously, including the staff. That bothers me. My sister and I followed procedures and used the exit and stairs. No one else did except one other young lady who went down 4 flights of steps with us. I know more than 4 people stayed here. It is a good thing it was not disastrous since others chose to ignore the alarm whether it was a false alarm or not. I'd rather be safe than sorry or dead.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Jacksonville Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
"Thank you for your sharing your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. We are a dog friendly hotel that allows dogs to be with their owners. We apologize if they disrupted your stay in any way. We certainly would ask any of our guests with dogs to have more control if there is ever anything reported to us. Thank you for the information regarding the fire alarm. Our Safety Team meets regularly and reviews our procedures in the scenario of a fire alarm. We have very strict and practiced responsibilities to ensure the safety of our guests and associates. The fire alarm you are referencing was realized not be a threat to our guests and associates almost immediately. We apologize for the associates’ aloof behavior as they should have communicated to you that the alarm was ending and was of no harm. Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Great to walk into a room and find it clean, well upholstered and comfortable with a thoughtful layout, well stocked bathroom, good facilities and relaxing music upon entry via the TV. Great for the price and wonderful location. Also love the morning drinks delivered to your door if you're a member of their loyalty programme.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
We are glad that you found everything you were looking for at the Omni Jacksonville Hotel. Thank you for sharing your compliments on TripAdvisor and we hope for a future opportunity to welcome you back.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Located in downtown Jacksonville a short drive from the airport this hotel is a real gem.

My room was clean and comfortable and while not as well equipped for handling today's electronic needs as Marriott's it was still very good.

Members of the free Select Guest program receive free wi-fi in their rooms plus a complimentary breakfast beverage delivered to the room in the morning. While this is a very nice perk, I do think this is designed more to get guests to order breakfast.

The food in the restaurant was very good led by a pricey, but bountiful breakfast buffet featuring cooked to order eggs, french toast, biscuits and gravy, breakfast potatoes, cold cereal, fruit and yogurt including chobani.

Less than one block away is Jacksonville Landing with shops and restaurants along the water.

If you are a news junkie, then this hotel is perfect as it offers USA Today, Wall Street Journal, New York Times and the local papers are all complimentary.

The staff is friendly and efficient and provided one of the best hotel experiences that I have had in a very long time.

If you are traveling to Jacksonville, this hotel is an excellent choice and I don't say that lightly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Jacksonville Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for your generous recommendation of the Omni Jacksonvile. We are thrilled that you had such a great experience. It would be our pleasure to have you as our guest again soon.
Arcadia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Since I flew in to attend a non-work-related conference and did not need to travel around, I had none of the parking issues other reviewers have mentioned.
There is no Omni shuttle service to and from the JAX airport, so you can take a taxi (about $35), the GO Shuttle for $20 (like Super Shuttle), or the city bus, which stops right at the airport terminal. The city bus (CT3) takes about 20-25 minutes and literally stops across the street from this hotel! I learned about this from the Information kiosk at JAX. It is $1.50, or if you are a senior citizen (ID required), you can ride at no cost!! You can obtain a paper schedule on the bus for the return trip. I took the city bus to the hotel, with a very helpful driver, but since it was raining heavily on my day of departure I took a taxi to the airport.

As reported by another reviewer a couple of other travelers must have thought they were in a college dormitory as there was considerable noise in the hallway after midnight on two of the three nights I was there (and I had asked to be put in a quiet location!). On the morning I departed I had to report to the front desk screaming from the room two doors away from mine as I really was concerned that abuse might be happening. The receptionist thanked me for speaking up and said she would send someone to check right away.

While it is true that there is no free wi-fi in the business center, you are able to print your airline boarding passes at no charge. I could use my iPhone's 3G for my Internet needs so free wi-fi access was not a concern of mine. If you belong to their Select Guest loyalty program there are perks, which could change, so it would be wise to verify whether the in-room wi-fi is free or not. I never opened the mini-bar so cannot comment on what was available as snacks, beverages.

The fitness center is small for a hotel of this size, with no exercycles. There are free weights and treadmills, etc. Your room key provides access. The pool is a good size and located right outside of the Fitness Center. I did not use the pool, however.

There is a restaurant/bar on the first floor. I had a problem with one dish, and the waitress went to great lengths to be sure that this problem was handled correctly. The food was very good, both in the restaurant (1 dinner, 1 breakfast; reasonably priced) and for the conference meals. There are other places to eat because of the proximity to Jacksonville Landing.

I found the staff to be very courteous. My room was clean, comfortable and the TV was easy to figure out! If I had to return to downtown Jacksonville I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor. Please accept our apologies for the noise and our thanks for sharing your concerns about another guest room. We do have security on site and we encourage our guests to contact us without hesitation for any noise or other safety concerns so that we may immediately address them. We are glad that otherwise you had an enjoyable experience and we hope that we will have a future opportunity to welcome you back.
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Decently priced hotel with good location in terms of closeness to downtown business district and Jacksonville Landing. However, major downside was A LOT of hallway noise transmitted to room, and lack of free wifi in room, coupled with lack of free computer access in business center. Internet access is almost always a complimentary amenity in a legitimate business-oriented hotel and it really irritated me that they "nickle & dimed" on this. Parking also an issue--need to use a garage next door that charges $12/day, does not have in and out privileges, and makes hotel guests park on 5th floor or above. The exit ramp is in a different location than the entrance, which can be confusing if it is your first visit. It actually took me an extra 5 minutes of driving around to pay and get out of the structure. I refused the use it the next night, when I had a meeting that started early in the morning. I just parked on nearby streets which are only metered between 8 AM and 6 PM. Overall, a lukewarm experience at this hotel.

Room Tip: ask "are there ANY that are quiet??"
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We regret to read that your recent stay with us fell short of your expectations. If you considering returning in the future we would like to invite you to become a member of our complimentary Select Guest Program which includes many free perks like wireless internet access, morning beverage delivery, and more. We understand and appreciate your comments regarding parking. As with any downtown hotel, there are limited parking options available to us but we have done our best to provide our customers with several options including valet. We regret that this part of your experience did not go more smoothly and hope this will not prevent you from considering us for your future Jacksonville hotel needs.
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this property for 1 night while in town on business. The property is very elegant. Slightly dated but still very pleasing to the eye and an overall great first impression. Room was well appointed and spacious. No free parking but then again, there normally is no free parking at downtown locations. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
We appreciate your review and are happy to read you would stay with us again. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed four nights at the Omni. The room was clean and comfortable but the sound proofing was not that great. You could hear people in the hallway easily and they woke/kept me up at night. The hotel offers valet parking service for about $20 a day and will not re-charge you if you come and go. The parking garage is about $12 dollars a day but you get charged every time you go out. The machine in the parking garage was not accepting credit cards when I left so I had to pay in cash. The parking lot on the other side I think charges $5 a day but again you get charged every time you go out. The refrigerator is stocked with snacks and alcohol to buy so it is not usable for your own stuff. They have free lemon and orange water down in the lobby which is very good. I recommend you join their loyalty program (Select Guest) before you arrive so that you get free WiFi and some other nice perks. I think there are only two soda machines in the hotel. I went to the one on the fourth floor but it was out of Coke. When I asked a staff member walking in the hall what floor the other soda machine was on she went into a backroom and brought me back a can. THANK YOU TRISH!! I was surprised there is no in-room safe so you need to figure out what you want to do with your valuables or leave them at the front desk. The hotel is located very close to Jacksonville Landing where there are lots of shops and restaurants. Overall my stay was a positive experience and I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Your feedback is valuable to us and helps us determine where we have opportunities to enhance our services. Thank you for sharing so many details of your stay, including your great interaction with Trish. It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back soon!

Been to Omni Jacksonville Hotel? Share your experiences!