“A Hybrid Hotel/Motel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Conference Center

You added Quality Inn Conference Center to your Saves list
Quality Inn Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6802 Commonwealth Avenue, PO Box 37888, Jacksonville, FL 32236 (Formerly Holiday Inn Jacksonville - I-295 & Commonwealth)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #96 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Oxnard, California
“A Hybrid Hotel/Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I was quite surpised to walk through the doors of the lobby, check-in, then walk outside to the front door of my room. Half of the establishment is indoors like a hotel, and the rest are outdoors like a motel. The room was old and the insulation was poor...I heard every car door close and people walking by the door. It really needs a renovation. I stayed here because it was less than 2 miles from the place I needed to work out of. In retrospect, I should have found a place a little further and a little nicer, even if it's 20 minutes away. I do have to say that the price was right, though.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Merritt Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

I was very leary of staying here after reading recent bad revues of this hotel. I was booked by my employer for a four day trainging seminar nearby and the thought of staying in a 'dirty, rundown hotel in a bad part of town with poor service' did not set well.
First, this area is industrial, not a tourist center. It is a convienient place to stay while traveling across state or the coast. It has many fine amenities such as an indoor pool in a spacious area, affordable southern style buffets, a workout room and even a business room where you can work online or send faxs if you did not come equipped. It sits immediately at the I 295 exit so there is no need to hunt for the place. The grounds have pleasing and well maintained landscaping as is the overall decor. It has a secure. fenced and gated lot and a nighttime security guard. Immediately across the street are a Wafflehouse, a Burger king and a Hardees if you want 'cheap eats'. Though twice I hit the buffet with satisfying results.
I found the staff to be very attentive and friendly. The front desk crew delightful. My room was cleaned everyday. I had a complementry coffee maker with coffee, microwave and refridgerator along with ironing board and iron.
I had a comfortable, relaxing stay and can highly reccomend this hotel to travelers. If you want nightlife this is the wrong part of Jacksonville. There is really nothing nearby to spend money on including grocery stores, pizza shops, bars or anything remotely touristy.
I can't explain the bad reviews posted elsewhere other than their being some attempt at a spiteful payback for personal reasonings. I neither saw nor experienced anything remotely negative in my 4 day stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

After reading the reviews, I really dreaded staying at this place. Decided we'd better book an inside room to be on the safe side. Was pleasantly surprised when arriving and seeing the hotel/motel. I found the room to "look" clean and neat, however, I always take Clorox wipes along no matter where I'm staying. Germs can't be seen!! The king sized bed was more comfortable than most and we were given plenty of towels. Apparently, this place has been remodeled since some of the reviews were written. I must say, it is in a very run down side of town though. Wouldn't want to walk down the street in the day time much less at night. They informed us that a security guard is on duty outside all night making rounds. Over all, I found the place to be just what you expect in a Holiday Inn - no better and no worse. If you're traveling thru Jacksonville on Hwy. 295, it's a good place to stay. Something in our room did cause my allergies to flair up badly though. Don't know if it was the air vent or feather comforter that I removed from the bed. Since we were with a large group, there was plenty of food out for breakfast each morning and when you pay extra for an inside room, that meal is free.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
forest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I am an employee of a holiday inn express hotel, i went to florida to visit family and the closest hotel was Holiday inn on COMMON WEALTH! When arriving the first night they had given up a second floor room, i went into the room and to start off there was a tissue on the bed, ya it happens i no so i was a little grosses out but like i said it happens. secondly i went into the bathroom and there was a water ring around the tolet that looked as if it had not been cleaned in a few days at least. then it was time for bed, we were situation the pillows and on one of them there was a black mark, it was very visible enough were they should of seen the spot. the next morning we got up and somethin of mine fell on the ground and went under the bed i got down to find it and under the bed was NASTY!!! there was a sippy cup, bottle cap rubber band and a few othere things. so i went down to the front desk and we got moved. when going into the second room it seemed ok. then the next few days got worse. the hotel is suppossed to be no pets allowed. well either someone brought them in the room when they stayed or they had a pet and didnt say anyting. either way i got bit by FLEAS. I HAVE BITES ALL OVER ME!!! and i no how the clean rooms so we never asked for the roomed to be cleaned, well one of the days we had just asked for towels, but at the time they were not clean so the housekeeper said she would bring them by later. when we arrived back later that day the door was standing wide open if anyone wanted to look through our room they could of. and we never got any responce back from the hotel staff about this situation. i no i am a employee of the same branch of hotels but in my expericence working at a hotel i have never seen so many problems for one familys stay. and even with me already getting a discount i should of still recieved something for all the problems like ONE FREE BREAKFAST since the food was cold already and tasted nasty. and it also cost $7 something. WE GOT NOTHING!!! IM JUST LETTING EVERYONE KNOW!! i maybe picky but sometimes that s the best thing, especially in this situation!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

OMG....where do I start? I had to stay for business - there was hair on the TV console and Night stand! Stains all over the curtians and bed covers. The room has a very musty smell to it, aweful. The Guest services directory has fingers prints all over it.
I started to get itchy the minute I walked in - I checked the bed for bed bugs but couldnt find any (not even sure what they look liek actually).
The bathtub was just nasty and the counter top dirty.

The food from the resturant was actually good and well presented.

The the hotel staff were very nice and helpful it's a shame that the management can't keep up the hotel better. They need to get a better houskeeping staff and actually follow-up on them to make sure they are cleaning the rooms!

Don't stay here unless your have no other choice

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

We booked this hotel to host an celebration of the 80th birthday of a member of our family. Planning was begun over a month and a half in advance, but somehow, the sales manager could not manage to coordinate this event properly.

The dinner for around 80 guests was ok, and the service was acceptable by the staff, but the bad outweighed the good by far. First, we booked a conference room for two days at $100 a day to be used as a hospitality suite for the family. When we went in to set it up, it hadn't even cleaned prior to our arrival! There was no microwave as promised and the tv didn't work. It took quite some time for these issues to be remedied. Second, the placement of our guest rooms was all over the "hotel," which has an odd set up--I put hotel in quotes because this is really more of a motel than a hotel...some of the rooms are inside, some are outside. When we wanted to move the guest of honor's room away from the hospitality suite, her room was downgraded and placed outside. All of the guests were given different rates/different amenities despite our being told that our event would receive a special rate. (Did they think we wouldn't talk amongst ourselves???)

In addition, we scheduled a breakfast at the hotel restaurant for the morning after the party, but when we arrived that morning, the restaurant staff claimed they had no notification from the sales manager and had no idea we were coming! They first offered to seat us all in the bar (!) located in the lobby...there were a number of children in our large party of over 30, and that would not have worked. We ended up having to basically argue with the staff to get seated in the room we were promised by the sales director, but it wasn't properly set up, nor did it accommdate everyone in our party.

We spent well over $3000 on food, banquet services and room accommodations, but that did not seem to matter. I brought all of these issues to the attention of the general manager via an emailed letter, and when he called me back to follow up, he basically made excuses for everything. He said he would call me back the next day after he did some more follow up and viewed tapes (I have no idea what this would do), but he never did. In short, customer satisfaction is clearly NOT valued by at this location, so don't waste your time and/or money! Unfortunately, I did not check the other reviews, or I would have definitely selected another location.

• Stayed February 2009
wis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

We booked this hotel specifically because they advertised an indoor pool and we wanted to be able to enjoy it with our young grandson. The pool was cold!! Not cool but cold. Really cold. We couldn't use it. They also had a ping pong table and a foosball game on site but when we asked for the balls and paddles they said they didn't have any. Just great! Otherwise the rest of the hotel features were OK. We won't be back there again.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Quality Inn Conference Center? Share your experiences!