“Consistent and Known Quality means I'll be back...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Jacksonville Butler Boulevard

Save Saved
You added Radisson Jacksonville Butler Boulevard to your Saves list
Radisson Jacksonville Butler Boulevard
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4700 Salisbury Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32256 (Formerly Southpoint Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings of 20%
Ranked #49 of 131 hotels in Jacksonville
Denver, Colorado
“Consistent and Known Quality means I'll be back...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

The Jacksonville Butler Boulevard is a great value hotel. It is a bit confusing to find if you are not well versed in the interesting roadway intersections nearby but once on the property you won't be disappointed. The landscape is well kept and the porte cochere adds to the upscale feeling for the hotel. The decor immediately inside the door is elegant and refined. Why management clutters it up with marketing displays and unnecessary announcement boards is beyond me. The front desk staff is friendly and purposeful about your time in front of them and are more concerned with speed than chit chat, which can cut both ways. Personally, I like the limited chit chat to get in the door to my room sooner on checkin. I have asked for and received a room on the southeast quadrant of the building, which is away from the outdoor pool, outside mechanical and nearby highway. It is like sleeping in a crypt and I love it.

The room is obviously a very quiet room. I am still torn on the sleep number beds. I like them for the adjustability, but they have these awkward side panels so that when you sit on the edge of them the side panels fold under your weight. Picky? Perhaps, but I do like sleeping on them, just not sitting on the edge of the bed. The room is nicely appointed with a comfortable chair and side table. Rather than a luggage rack, there is a rectangular padded bench that I typically drag over to the chair for use as a great longish ottoman. The closet is spacious and has a coded safe, should you need to secure your goods. The TV is a typical credenza size with the typical smattering of news, features and sports. There is a coffee maker that looks well stocked, but I didn't use it. The lighting in the room is minimal, without the intuitive switches. They opted for indirect lighting throughout the main room with a direct light in the entry. Windows are wide and the blackout curtains are among the best at doing their job. The pillows (two to a bed, with no extras in the closet) are comfortable. There are two decorative sham pillows per bed to complement the decor and provide a nice backstop when reading in bed.

The bath is well appointed, although one could heat a small country with the over the sink lighting. The tile is just starting to show the age with a bit of grout mold here and there, and stains showing at the drip lines on the tub tops. Hard to notice a clean tub when the grout needs a little work. It's too bad because had it been a good install to begin with, there wouldn't be this problem. Don't let this overshadow the fantastic hot water and bath soap Radisson allows you here. Endless hot showers are sometimes needed and this hotel can make that happen without interruption.

The cleanliness of the room was very good. The areas you will touch and see get cleaned, while everything else is fair game perhaps monthly or less. Not a bad thing and perfectly average for this calibre of hotel. Clean I can see is clean to me for a short stay. For an extended stay I'd have made a call to spruce it up a bit more.

I had tried the in house restaurant on a previous trip and it unfortunately was a bit off. Doesnt mean it is bad or not recommended, just that I prefer waitstaff and cooks that are well practiced in their chosen jobs. This is not a eatery in a hotel, but a hotel without convenient meal service nearby, thus an eatery offered. An afterthought of sorts. Considering your other choice is the nearby Dave & Busters, well now there is a quandry.

The overall experience here is above average for my expectations, despite the odd quirk here or there. I'd recommend it, have stayed here before and will stay again. The quantity and quality here are known and consistent.

• Liked — quiet room
  • Disliked — lack of direct overhead lighting, but that is being really picky...
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

My visit was on the wekeend of Feb 29-March 2. From the moment we entered the hotel, we knew that we were in for a luxurious stay. The employees were wonderful and FRIENDLY. When we arrived in the room, it was very fresh and clean. The bed was very soft and plush and you could set the sleep number however you liked. The bathroom was very luxurious compared to surrounding hotels, and very nice. We barely went out because we were new to Jacksonville and there was not much to do other than to visit the Landing. The next morning we went to breakfast (I highly recommend the Bed & Breakfast package), the presentation of the room and the food totally blew us away. You were seated restaurant style then constantly served drinks (non-alcoholic) by a bartender/sever. You were able to go op and get the food of your choice and also have a chef prepare you eggs or whatever else you may like. Check in & out was easy. I would rate this place a 5 star.

Stayed March 2008
Berlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

We checked in there for 2 nites on Christmas Eve 2007. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful and even offered us a complimentary breakfast on Christmas Day. What a great start of our short trip to Florida. The hotel was very quiet. The rooms are nicely and modern furnished and the sleep number beds are just great. We can highly recommend this hotel both for business travellers and for tourists.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

The hotel looked like it had undergone some renovations. It was clean, bright and located near the interstate in a business district. The room looked great and the sleep number beds were just what I was looking for. Plus, the room had FREE wireless internet and more cable channels besides Fox News and CNN (I get enough of that everywhere else). Best of all it was directly across the street from Dave and Busters so I could leave the car keys in my room and walk to D&B for a stress free night of dinner and fun.

I also tried the hotel restaurant. The bartender was fantastic but the menu left much to be desired. You basically have a steak option, salad option, chicken option. One of everything but not a lot of "jazz" in any of them.

I would stay here again because it's within minutes of downtown, shopping etc, safe walking distance to restaurant, and the comfortable rooms.

Stayed November 2007
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

I stayed here with co-workers because I recommended it due to TripAdvisor reviews. In retrospect, I was very embarrassed because the hotel was pretty mediocre. There is a Robert Earl Keen song that is called "It's the Little Things" and the last line is: "that piss me off." Well, that's how I felt about this place...it was the little things. To summarize:

Pros:
*Free Internet
*microwave/refrigerator/coffee maker, popcorn in room
*clean rooms
*safe in closet

Cons:
*Staff never communicated about anything
*Housecleaning would forget things like COFFEE!
*Loud highway noise, even if you are out in the middle of nowhere

To elaborate:
I showed up, requesting a King, non-smoking...I received 2 doubles and a smoky room, made evident by the fact someone had unwired the smoke alarm. It didn't make me feel very safe that it would be fixed the next day ( I checked in late).

I ordered room service for breakfast twice, the first day it didn't show in the 30 minute window and I called. The lady said she would call me back and right then, there was a knock on the door with the food. A total miscommunication, but no call back to apologize or anything. The next day, it showed up at the top of the 30 minute window. On that note, breakfast was tolerable one day, inedible the next.

The pull out desk is very cramped for doing work on a computer or eating. It basically bumped up into the second double bed.

The SleepNumber bed is a glorified blowup bed. I didn't sleep at all.

I had a housekeeping person practically barge into the room--there was one knock: "Hello? Wait..." from me (since I am still dressing, for goodness sake) and then there is someone coming in my room. She apologized a couple of times, but I was over this place and it just seemed like more of the same.

Started noticing the little things...I guess when you are mad, you notice things!--plastic "tile" in shower, loud noises in hallway, rip in comforter. It all started to build up for me.

When I checked out, I requested that my second "breakfast" be taken off the bill. I got the Spanish Inquisition about what I ate and when I ordered it (I had the feeling they didn't believe me), but they took it off the bill. Which I didn't look at when I left.

Came home to Denver to find out that I had someone else's bill. They faxed mine to me (needed it for reimbursement) and told me that I had two reservations in my name. What?!

All in all, it was just so disappointing. I'm from N. Florida, so I was pretty let-down and embarrassed that I told my co-workers that this was one of the best places to stay for value and service. I'm leaving out so much other stuff because it's ticking me off to think about it!

I have to believe that there are other places to stay in Jacksonville that are a better value and don't cost $250 a night.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Too much to list--read the review
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

I recently stayed at the Radisson for one night and paid $89 by booking directly with the hotel.

The room appeared to be newly renovated. The carpet, furnishings, decor, etc., was well designed, spotless and very comfortable. They even had the Sleep Number bed which was fun to play with.

I would definitley recommed this hotel to anyone looking for superior accommodations at an affordable price.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

I really like the decor of this hotel, the lobby and the rooms. Staff is professional. The bar is small but has 2 big screen tvs, so you can sip on your drink and be entertained if you're by yourself (as I frequently am, travelling alone). The lady bartender who works there M-W is sweet as can be, and even made everyone a shooter at the end of the night.

The room has adequate seating with a lounger and chaise, as well as a really nice desk. Internet is free and there was a fridge in my room, hidden by wooden paneling. I have to say again, that I loved the decor. Dark wood, paneling at the bed's headboard, earthy and rich brown tones. The bed was very comfortable as well.

Would definitely stay here again! Class, convenience, without all the nickel-and-diming you see at hotels that are 4 stars and above. One of the nicest experiences at a hotel I've ever had.

• Liked — The fabulous pool, relaxing bar scene, comfy bed, dark and warm decor
  • Disliked — just a small stain on the bench at the foot of my bed, and there's only 1 set of laundry machines for the guests!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Radisson Jacksonville Butler Boulevard? Share your experiences!