“Convenient, but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Great Florida Savings!
Ranked #44 of 130 Hotels in Jacksonville
Pensacola, Florida
“Convenient, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

For my b/f and my first trip to the Mayo Clinic, and not knowing what to expect, we booked a room (#203) at the Courtyard Mayo Clinic. It is literally across the street from the Davis and Mayo buildings... a very convenient walk especially when you're waiting on appointments and don't know what's next.
However, when we first arrived to check in, the desk agent asked me for my active duty military ID as I had booked the room at the government rate of $80.00. I have an active duty dependent ID card. He and I got into an argument as the 800- reservations line NEVER ONCE mentioned "active" duty. I was only asked if I were state or federal government. Then he proceeds to tell me to check my email because it specifically states "active" duty. I whipped out my smart phone and again, no where does does it state active duty. It says, "Govt/military rate, federal government ID required." Then he said I needed to follow a link in the email to the Marriott website. Are you kidding me??? Being there was already stressful enough. I mean, if you're staying at a hotel at the Mayo Clinic, you're not there for a pleasure trip. I told him I expected the rate I was quoted over the phone. After all of this, he then misread my ID and though it said RET for retired when it says RES-AD for Reserve members on extended Active Duty. Once I explained the whole "dependent" ID of someone who is on active duty, he said he would honor the rate.
And the rocky start continued when we got up to room #201 it STUNK of cigarette smoke. These rooms have balconies and although there's a sign on the sliding glass door that says smoking on the balcony is strictly prohibited, when we were at the pool, folks were smoking on their balconies all around us... another frustration.
We went back down to the desk and were assigned to room #203. At this point, the desk agent was miraculously and overly nice to me... and he was that way for the rest of our stay.
The room definitely smelled better but was just average. Two queen-sized beds (we had my two kids with us), TV, refrigerator (that was a plus) and a separate shower/toilet area from the sink. We did find one roach and several small ants in the room.
The courtyard is nice, but I could have done without the constant drone of the pressure washing when we were there. The pool was nice as well. The kids enjoyed that and it gave us a place to just sit and wait instead of being cooped up in the room.
If we would have had to pay the regular "patient" rate of $154, we would not have stayed there. Plus, the Bistro restaurant and The Market (mini-store) are so very over priced. You would think Marriott would take into consideration the stress level of their guests at this particular property and adjust accordingly.
We may or may not stay there again. It is convenient for Mayo Clinic patients, but I really can't recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Southeast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Directly across from Mayo Clinic....room is clean and spacious. Staff was pleasant, food and beverage service available. Small balcony which I didn't use due to the heat. There is also shuttle service to Mayo if needed but I didn't use that either. Really appreciate that all Marriotts are smoke free.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor for more recently remodeled rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chattahoochee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Because my husband is a patient at the Mayo Clinic, we drive to Jacksonville every few weeks. We have stayed in many hotels in the area, and we've stayed at this particular hotel four times now. The first time we stayed was the best. The room was clean and reasonably comfortable, but what we liked best was the staff. They were friendly, helpful, and very professional. They shared the features of the hotel and gave recommendations on meals and recreation. On our most recent trip, however, we had several problems, including our room not being ready at 6 p.m. when we arrived. Perhaps they've had some staffing changes. The young ladies who worked the desk during the four days we stayed certainly could not be described as "friendly" or "professional." In fact, they were no more than grudgingly helpful at any time. While the location is perfect for us, we may choose somewhere else next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Newnan, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stood there because it was so easy to walk with my day to the mayo clinic, but it was not a nice courtyard nasty rooms nasty staff and way overpriced. Next time i go to jacksonville the hampton inn on southside blvd was clean and affordable and thats where I will stay!

Room Tip: Stay at the hampton inn on southside blvd clean and free breakfast every morning!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Navarre, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I went there a few weeks a ago for a school orientation and stayed a night at the courtyard. It was so clean and comfy! I just got married and over the course of 3 weeks we had stayed in 4 different hotels, including an embassy suites overlooking Niagara Falls, and I must say, the courtyard was my favorite! I loved the design and how it was so nicely decorated. The area was great! So close to St. Johns town center. The best part was I got it for only $50 on Priceline's name your own price! :) I will definitely stay again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I'm always pleased with a Courtyard Marriott, they are clean and consistent. The location is quite good, closed to beaches and attractions.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We have stayed here on several occasions during visits to Mayo Clinic. The staff is very friendly and go out of their way to be of assistance. It is not a new hotel, so everything is not perfect, but in general it is very nice and extremely convenient to the Mayo Clinic. It is actually right across the street. We did find that the cleaning staff are not quite as good as the rest of the hotel staff. If you are there for an extended stay they do not provide you with clean sheet daily. In our case we were there for six days and the sheets were never changed. I can understand maybe two or three days, but I have never been in a hotel that did not change the sheets daily. The dining room staff are very friendly and helpful. The dining area is located just off the lobby and is not fancy, but perfect for breakfast and I'm sure dinner is OK, but we personally prefer something a little more upscale. There are a number of choices at the St. Johnstown Center which is just a few miles up the road. If you are going to the Mayo Clinic from out of town this is probably where you want to stay.

Room Tip: You may prefer a courtyard room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches? Share your experiences!