I usually frequent the OMni downtown, that has exceptional service. I chose Homewood Suites, as I was traveling to see a show at the performing arts center but also wanted to treat the kids to a weekend of shopping/theatre - closest thing to NYC's 5th avenue in a two hour drive. The day prior to arrival I received and email asking if I wanted to "standby upgrade" for an addtional $9.00. Now upon checkin, I asked about this upgrade, explained that it would be "great", since the trip had changed from a 1 child 2 adults, to a 3 children 1 adult, and the upgrade to a 2 bedroom would be great. I was told "sure let me see if I can do that for you". The front desk agent was kind and understood the rooming situation and since the hotel was not sold out, said that she would grant the upgrade. Suddenly the agent on the other terminal said "NO! You can't do that! "She" said no "specials"....well...in my mind, I almost walked out right there. Under no circumstance should a front desk agent interrupt another agents check in process in this manner in front of a guest. So I asked if I could speak with a manager, and the agent who interrupted said, "They are gone for the day", so I asked if there was a MOD, to which I was told no. I was checked into my originally booked room type, and although I was very upset about what had transpired at the front desk in front of the children, I understood hotel availability and that whatever and whoever "She" was and what "She" said, that the one agent felt it more important to stick to the plan and upset a guest, rather than simply allow her co-worked to complete the transaction, or at least, pull her aside to the back office and explain so the guest would not know what had transpired. It was embarrassing and almost degrading to the desk agent who was assisting with the checkin. She had almost handed me the key to the upgraded room, when the other agent stopped her with a "NO! She said not to honor any special offers". I went up to the assigned room, and soon the phone rang. I thought, "Oh good, they are going to make this right," but no, they called to ask me to check the pull out couch because they had given me a room that the couch may not work in. So, looking at the couch, it did not work, it was tied shut with a black zip tie. So, the 4 of us, 3 kids, and myself, took the trek back to the desk, and were offered the same category on another floor. The first floor. I asked for a different floor, because traveling alone with 3 children, we prefer not to be on the first floor, with the window to the street. The agents were both nice at this point and accommodated the request. The also pre blocked another family member that was staying with us so we could be on the same floor, although the other room was all the way on the other end of the hall.
Miss Stephanie is the only reason we didn't walk out of the hotel. She was kind and doing her best to make the best of an embarrassing situation.
The rooms: There is so much furniture in the living room of the one bedroom suite that it was hard to turn around. By all means, get rid of the fake plants! They simply gather dust and clutter the room. Keep it clean and simple.
Bed was super comfortable.
Cleanliness of the room was adequate, however I did find one pillow that seemed to have a drool stain, that didn't belong to us. There were no utensils and someone took the coffee pot out of the room between morning 1 and 2. Also missing were a bottle of perfume and a deodorant???? Oddly enough....Saturday noon desk staff was wonderful, and very accomodating with the other family member. (Gold status). On Sunday morning, the maids were knocking so loudly on the doors all the way down the hallway, you could not have slept pasta 8 if you wanted to. I had the "later please" magnet on my doorframe, and the door was opened anyway after a loud quick knock. Thankfully I am a user of the bolt and safety locks so the door only opened as far as the safety lock would allow.
The kids had a fine time shopping, and the location of the hotel may mean that I might return, but not without hesitation.
if you need ice you have to go to the front desk and get it from the kitchen and use your refridgerator ice bucket.
Great location, right in the heart of the shopping center.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Homewood Suites by Hilton® Jacksonville-South/St. Johns Center hotel, an upscale hotel situated in the newest and most talked about shopping and entertainment destination in Jacksonville. Our all-suite hotel is only a 15-minute drive away from the city's fastest growing business district and an excellent choice for extended stay business or leisure travelers. Additionally, the hotel features a Suite Start™ hot breakfast buffet every morning, and an evening Welcome Home® reception (Monday through Thursday), where you can experience genuine Homewood Suites by Hilton® Jacksonville-South/St. Johns Center hospitality! Stay with us to experience exceptional service and our trademark Hilton hospitality. Make Yourself at Home.® ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hilton Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, getaroom.com and Hotwire so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville-South/St. Johns Ctr. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites Jacksonville - South Hotel Jacksonville
- Homewood Jacksonville
- Jacksonville Homewood Suites