“Get out of your comfort zone!!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #703 of 1,739 restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dallas, Georgia
“Get out of your comfort zone!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife is a Jacksonville native and anytime we go back she has to stop and get a plate. Now I look forward to stopping too!! That sauce is addictive you could put it on anything and make it taste better. I tried a pork sandwich this time and I was in heaven!! When we go the staff is always friendly and offering up suggestions and will also let you sample the different sauces. I believe there is 3 of them. I have always had the orginal. Can't wait for our next trip to J-Ville!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

56% Recommend
Orlando, Florida
“Has it lost it's soul!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Had just visited the museum and spotted Jenkins on the way down,asked a couple of locals who did not give any rave reviews,but we made the decision to try it anyway. First impressions shabby, in need of a good spruce up it appears it has been a while since any money had been spent on decor, customer service, one member of staff needs more training the other friendly, BBQ lacking flavour relying on the mustard sauce to elevate it which it did not. We hope that the other location are not in the same sorry state. One good business in an area would attract more businesses to come in.

Visited May 2013
Oviedo, Florida
“Quick Lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We visited on 5/25/2013 for a quick lunch after visiting the Ritz Museum. We asked the locals about this restaurant and was told it was a "hit or miss" type place. We decided to give it a try. We all ordered the rib snack (two middle rib bones and two sides) with three of the orders with hot mustard sauce and mine with sweet sauce and sides. We had a combination of baked beans, which I found a bit too sweet, but I loved the cinnamon flavor. The corn balls/fritters/nuggets were "off the chain". The potato salad was good. The ribs were okay and the sauce was average-a bit sugary. The hot mustard sauce was also okay. I thought the rib snack was priced appropriately and we enjoyed as a quick meal, but it was not the best we ever had. I think owner (s) should reinvest some of their profit back into the property and upgrade, since it an important part of the LaVilla community. Customer service was split. The person who took my order was pleasant and the person who took my money was rude and unprofessional. She could use some training in customer service.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great sauce!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

The beef sandwich is great but what puts it over the top for me is the mustard based sauce. The place looks sketchy but well worth a stop. Expect to wait on quality food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, FL
“Disappointed…”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I’m a Jacksonville native and I’ve heard rave reviews of Jenkin’s for most of my life. It’s consistently ranked as one of the best barbecue joints in town. With that, I had high expectations…but was very disappointed.

The service couldn’t be any more unfriendly and unwelcoming. The atmosphere couldn’t be any more uninviting. First, you order with the server behind glass & bars…I couldn’t tell if it reminded me of the bank or visiting someone in jail. Then you wait in a small area of confusion with other customers for about ten minutes…they call your number and then you pay for your meal while your food sits there and gets cold. They couldn’t have been any slower in the payment process. Why wouldn’t you just pay when you order like every other counter-service establishment?

The food, once you get it, is good. I had the pulled pork sandwich and baked beans. Very tasty…however, I’ve never been to a barbecue place that doesn’t include sauce on the table or in to-go containers. The sandwich comes with a miniscule amount of mild, mustard based sauce. If you want a small ramekin of sauce, it’s $0.54 extra. Umm…okay. That’s just weird…but whatever. I coughed up the $0.54 and called it a day. By far, this isn’t the best barbecue I’ve ever had…but it was good.

I probably won't return, but IF I were to return, I would go to the drive-thru so I didn’t have to deal with the weird ordering procedure and it would minimize my interaction with the unfriendly staff. Based on the food, I would have given it 4 stars...but the service and oddities made this place just average. I prefer Toby’s on the Northside, Monroe’s on the Westside, or Mojo in Avondale.

• Visited April 2013