“Good food for a good value” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Update restaurant details
Ranked #256 of 1,721 restaurants in Jacksonville
Jacksonville, Florida
“Good food for a good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Quite a while back I noticed a cute little sandwich shop not too far from my husband's office...so today when he suggested we meet for lunch, I offered, "Let's try Chow Down Alley." We arrived not long after 12 p.m., smack dab in the middle of the lunch rush hour, but we were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves at the front of the "order here" line. The restaurant was full of patrons and the sandwich-making employees appeared to be quite busy. We were greeted but then waited a good 10 minutes before someone took our order. Meanwhile about 20 people had lined up behind us. We knew it was a busy time -- especially for take-out or call-ahead orders -- but we were curious why there was no employee specifically designated to take orders. That seemed a bit disorganized, especially when there were a few employees who appeared to be standing around with nothing to do.
Anyway we placed our order and then we moved along the line to the cashier and drink fulfillment. Our sandwiches were ready in a flash, and the drinks were prepared quickly...so once we placed our order, things moved along quickly! My husband ordered the "Beef and Bird" combo for $8.39. The sandwich was made with sliced roast beef, turkey, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo served on a sub roll. It normally comes with Italian dressing but he didn't want to risk dripping onto his dress shirt. He got the potato salad as a side and he liked it. The sandwich came with a crisp dill pickle and a beverage.
I enjoyed a simple ham and Swiss cheese sandwich with tomato and mayo for $3.99. The wheat bread was fresh and delicious. The portion of meat and cheese was ample and the tomatoes were really tasty. I opted for a tall can of Peach-flavored Arnold Palmer (lemonade & iced tea). The restaurant was clean and well-stocked. I would try eating here again based on the delicious flavor of the food, and the value...however, I do recommend the owners revisit the set-up for taking orders inside the restaurant. Delays in taking orders and the clutter (of chips, baked goods, etc.) around the order-taking station add to the confusion and distractions for customers on their lunch hour. Chow Down Alley has good food for the value.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

100% Recommend
Tampa, FL
“Quality Food, Service, Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Great lunch spot, we found it driving around doing some work in the area. Unassuming from the outside, set into a corporate/office buildings section, doesn't stand out.

Typical breakfast and lunch menu plus daily specials. Lots of homemade options, burgers, soups, sandwiches, desserts. Wait in line to order at the counter, then they'll bring it out.

Bacon cheeseburger was good size, hand pattied, real bacon, plenty of fries. Friend had turkey and ham sandwich, which was good, fresh bread. Prices reasonable, 2 meals and drinks, plus a piece of carrot cake under $20.

Carrot cake was only disappointment, kind of soggy.

Seating for ~40 people, gets pretty busy at peak times. Menu available online: http://chowdownalley.com/menu.aspx?menu=1

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“solid”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012 via mobile

After being recommended this place for lunch, I can honestly say, I will return. The place is a family owned type of local joint that has tried to embed itself into the community. The food is solid. My sandwich was warm, and tasted good. My fries were very hot, and had a great Cajun salt accent. The atmosphere was pleasant but a little bland. The establishment seems quite clean with ampel seating. We were in and out, empty to full, in under 40 minutes. This place isn't the next hottest trend, but solid enough that I will encoporate it into my weekly lunch regiment.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere