“The Go To Steak House - Still needs a facelift” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Jacksonville, Florida
“The Go To Steak House - Still needs a facelift”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I've been eating at the Tree since 1993. For a number of years, it was THE place to go for steak in Jacksonville. For a number of years one could never go wrong as the food was outstanding, the service impeccable, and the overall experience made you want for more.

Here it is 20 years later and over the years, this restaurant has had its ups and downs with service but for the most part the food, albeit a bit high priced for the overall quality, is always good.

This trip, as with previous trips in the more recent past, left something to be desired. I admit, i showed up on a saturday night, without reservation and with an out of town guest in tow. We were seated quickly, but then waited for 8 -1 0 minutes for someone to bring a menu and take a drink order.

Others have said the service needs work - I agree, however this trip, after the server finally did come to the table, from that moment on the service was pretty darn good! I was ecstatic that I didn't have to apologize to my guest for picking a restaurant that didn't have good service.

I had the filet (almost always do), my guest had the ribeye (14 oz cut) - both were cooked to perfection, had great flavor and neither of us were disappointed with the meat. The salad bar was good, plenty of selections, all fresh and clean.

The only real issue this trip was that the steak fries were soggy, burnt and tasted of very old fry oil. I took one bite and left the rest - and that says a lot because I was really hungry. I did not say anything but the server took notice and asked if they were ok. I explained that the chef should change the oil once in a while. I was offered a substitute but declined as we had already started eating.

All in all, The Tree Steakhouse isn't a bad place, it just isn't great. The service can be up or down, the food can be up or down, it seems it just depends on what day you go. I would recommend it to anyone in the same way I would recommend any average restaurant. I'll go back again - as I always do, with hopes that things will be better next time.

I will agree with some of the previous posters that they are in serious need of a good facelift. It's the same forest/hunter green walls and stuffed animals hanging that have been there since the first visit back in 1993.

There are other places in Jacksonville to eat - I just keep going back to the Tree because I want it to be good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

50% Recommend
Jacksonville, FL
“Break away from the "chains" - enjoy superb food, great service & a relaxing atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We celebrated a monumental birthday here with a family dinner. There were 14 of us spanning 4 generations between the ages of 1 and 75. Service was excellent. Food was superb. Their specialty, the ribeye was cooked to perfection, seasoned just right & oh so tender. Others in the group tried the cashew crusted grouper, the filet, and the grilled pork chops. All were extremely happy with their selections. Salads & sides were delicious as well. Nice, relaxing atmosphere. Our waitress could not have been more attentive & helpful. Perfect place for a special occasion!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Florida
“Fair but restaurant needs reorganizing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went with a group of friends on an "off" night - Monday -and was disappointed after hearing all the prior reviews. Service was slow, had to ask our waitress for my drink order 20 minutes after giving it, and dinner was very slow in coming out from the kitchen. One friend waited and waited after the entire table of 8 were already served and eating before getting her steak. Seemed like the kitchen wasn't organized well enough to be serving that evening. I had the salad bar, which could have used more items and a better variety than what was presented.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
St.Augustine
“Consistent and familiar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We love The Tree. We typically sit in the bar And in the chilly winter nights near the fireplace is a good spot. Good happy hour in the bar. The rib-eye is delicious as well as the steak fries. The white chic bread pudding for dessert is a must. Service in the bar can vacillate. We still choose to sit in the bar though. In closing an ol' favorite and does not disappoint.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Florida
“Piano Player on Saturday Night is Fab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

If you are into the great American songbook as I am, this is your place. Al also plays a short set on Wednesday evenings.
While I have eaten steaks here, it is the qualty of the salad bar and the ambiance that is lacking in the other restaurants in the Jacksonville area.

• Visited September 2012