“Some of the best food in Jax” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro AIX is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 1,775 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Phillips Street
Description: Inspired by unforgettable meals served at cozy bistros in the South of France, Bistro AIX brings together European cooking techniques and seasonal ingredients to create award-winning French-inspired comfort food. An inspired juxtaposition of antiques and contemporary pieces gives the restaurant its distinctive look, while engaging and knowledgeable servers ensure an exceptional dining experience.
Jacksonville, Florida
“Some of the best food in Jax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

Seriously some of the best food I've had in Jacksonville. It's just delicious. The calamari and gourmet pizzas are my favorite. It's a very trendy and popular restaurant but friendly. Make reservations because they get busy! Perfect for a romantic date or special occasion.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Georgetown, Texas
“4/15/10 Good Food and Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

After a fairly pleasant flight to Jacksonville, we decided on eating at AIX. The service is excellent and our waitress allowed us to substitute sides with other dishes. I had the lamb shank and substituted polenta for the couscous. The shank had been prepared for a curry sauce so it was not seasoned properly for the polenta and was bland - my fault. My wife had the white fish which was a little over cooked. This bistro is fairly noisy and hard to carry on a conversation and somewhat pricy. Our meals w/ appetizer ran around $40 before wine and tip. Don't make the mistake and substituting as I'm sure the chef had prepared the dishes for the appropriate sauce. I would still recommend this restaurant. Larry & Kelly

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

My husband and I frequent this resterant for special occasions-which is what they excel in making special. We have made reservations on typically busy days, and both times the wait was under 10 minutes. We usually reserve early in the evening. If you eat late-they are usually packed. The escargot are the best I have ever eaten. The Mussells frittes are magnificient and all were open. My husband ate for two days on the leftvers of his baked chicken. The French onion soup is the best! The specials-are always that, memorable special food. The apple cobbler style dish evokes wonderful dreams.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
jacksonville, fl
“Reservations? Only If There Is No Wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

The food and service are above average, but their reservation policy is a joke. We recently took out of town guests and were told when we arrived at the restaurant that our "reservation" meant we went to head of the "wait list", despite having a confirmed reservation. Thirty minutes later we were shown to a table. Restaurants that use this policy want their "guests" to spend more money in the bar while they wait for their "reserved" table. If Bistro Aix were honest, they would simply say they don't take reservations.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arnhem, The Netherlands
“Xing out Aix”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

I am a more or less frequent customer at Bistro Aix. Generally speaking, the food has been good to outstanding. The moules & frites, ahi tuna and creme brulee are among Jacksonville's best. Although noisy inside, I also like the overall dining ambiance which offers the choice between open kitchen bar dining, and several types of tables, including a neat outside dining area. The cocktails are excellent and the wine choice is satisfactory.

It has been almost a week since we tried to have a New Year Eve dinner at Bistro Aix. We made reservations through Opentable and confirmed via phone. To be completely fair, Bistro Aix doesn't take reservations, but books preferred seating. Anyway preferred seating booked well in advance online, confirmed the old fashion way should give you a shot at a table within an hour or so of the agreed time.....even on New Year's Eve. Not at Bistro Aix.

We arrived on time and were given a 45 minutes expected wait time. 25 minutes later it was still 45 minutes. Now we understand things can get out of control and we were willing to accept that if only the festively dressed lady in charge of seating would have apologized or offered some kind of solution. No hint of an apology or creativity towards a solution was offered though.

In the beginning of this review, I intentionally used the word "customer". Although my experience with the food at Aix remains positive (we didn't get any on New Year's Eve...), the overall customer experience last week was absolutely unacceptable. Dining is not only about food. Too bad that Aix has forgotten the basic principles of customer service.

Interestingly enough, we experienced the opposite at another successful San Marco establishment earlier that evening. We were drinking a cocktail, and a couple with (honored!) dinner reservations had to leave urgently for an emergency 10 minutes after they arrived While they were waiting outside on transportation, the waiter brought them two glasses of Champagne (the real stuff). The proof that success doesn't have to lead to poor customer service.

Unfortunately, my New Year's Eve experience still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 2010 will be Aixless for us.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere